Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6525 6526 [6527] 6528 6529 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9450382 times)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #97890 on: October 12, 2015, 05:00:37 pm »

OK, Australia's got no fucking understanding of the digital world, it seems.

Also, they have that whole 'Ermagerd no violence in videogerms!' thing going on.

Actually, that whole thing made it easier for kids to get violent video games than other places. The thing was there was no R!8+ category for games, because games a "kids stuff", so the highest rating you could give anything was M15+. Only about 2-3 games per year failed to get rated as M15+. So you have basically the entire back-catalog of all games in history no matter how violent rated 15+ in Australia. Ironic isn't it?

But nobody ID's you for M15+ material like they would for R18+ material. So a kid who's 13 could walk into a store in Australia and basically buy GTA or COD without any sort of problem. So, the whole obtuse moral guardians thing was just head in the sand stupidity and turned Australia into a paradise for teens who want violent games, since parents no longer had the information on which games were more violent that an R18+ label would indicate. All the "ban" did was prevent a few adult-themed games getting released, most of which aren't actually of interest to teens anyway.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2015, 05:04:59 pm by Reelya »

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #97891 on: October 12, 2015, 05:02:36 pm »

Twilight Zone Season 1, episode 8.  Netflix

Spoilers, but it's... *checks* about 55 years old?  But then again, since a lot of people miss watching the classics, it really is a spoiler.

Nerdy mild-mannered bank clerk just wants to read.  But his boss threatens to fire him for reading on the job, and his (embarrassingly shrewish) wife uh... disapproves.  That's the set up.

Spoiler: very minor spoiler (click to show/hide)

So then later

blaaaaaargh

Truck's tire burst on the freeway two hours ago,and I've heard nothing from my company's breakdown department since then. Goddamn Mondays.
Two hours and counting sitting out on the road?  Damn, that really sucks.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #97892 on: October 12, 2015, 05:27:17 pm »

I'm pretty sure that's one of, if not the most, famous Twilight Zone episodes.

Trying to not spoil it is like spoiler'ing Luke Skywalkers fathers identity, or what Rosebud is.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #97893 on: October 12, 2015, 05:30:00 pm »

Reminds me of an opinion piece I saw a while back where someone wanted the NZSIS (semi-independent intelligence service) given more power so it could protect the general public from the GCSB (cabinet-controlled intelligence service, generally doesn't give a sod about laws).
I read that as 'NAZIS'.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #97894 on: October 12, 2015, 06:05:44 pm »

Reminds me of an opinion piece I saw a while back where someone wanted the NZSIS (semi-independent intelligence service) given more power so it could protect the general public from the GCSB (cabinet-controlled intelligence service, generally doesn't give a sod about laws).
I read that as 'NAZIS'.

So did I. Damn Kiwis with your fascist intelligence organizations and your confusing flags.

Twilight Zone Season 1, episode 8.  Netflix

Spoilers, but it's... *checks* about 55 years old?  But then again, since a lot of people miss watching the classics, it really is a spoiler.

Nerdy mild-mannered bank clerk just wants to read.  But his boss threatens to fire him for reading on the job, and his (embarrassingly shrewish) wife uh... disapproves.  That's the set up.

Spoiler: very minor spoiler (click to show/hide)

So then later

I remember that episode. Wasn't the moral of it that books < real life, and you're probably a nerd if you read more than very occasionally?
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #97895 on: October 12, 2015, 06:16:20 pm »

Based on how his wife was portrayed as an insane villain, and even his boss was rather extreme and cruel, nah.
I don't think it had a moral.  Just a mean twist.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #97896 on: October 12, 2015, 06:17:55 pm »

Based on how his wife was portrayed as an insane villain, and even his boss was rather extreme and cruel, nah.
I don't think it had a moral.  Just a mean twist.
Well phew.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #97897 on: October 12, 2015, 06:22:59 pm »

I remember that episode. Wasn't the moral of it that books < real life, and you're probably a nerd if you read more than very occasionally?

It was done by both THe Outer Limits and The Twilight Zone. In one of them, the guy was a complete and total asshole and breaking the glasses was karmic justice, while in the other the universe just hated the poor bastard. Not sure which was which.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #97898 on: October 12, 2015, 06:26:05 pm »

Update: still waiting. At least now the nearest shop has been notified and they'll get to me...eventually. But considering that I still have at least five hours of driving to do today...

Yeah. Goddamn Mondays.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #97899 on: October 12, 2015, 06:37:02 pm »

Update: still waiting. At least now the nearest shop has been notified and they'll get to me...eventually. But considering that I still have at least five hours of driving to do today...

Yeah. Goddamn Mondays.
Yup.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #97900 on: October 12, 2015, 06:39:28 pm »

I'm pretty sure that's one of, if not the most, famous Twilight Zone episodes.

Trying to not spoil it is like spoiler'ing Luke Skywalkers fathers identity, or what Rosebud is.
Rosebud is Dumbledore?
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #97901 on: October 12, 2015, 07:09:06 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #97902 on: October 12, 2015, 07:19:05 pm »

Australian government data collection laws :/

Basically the best reason ever to off-shore all your digital services if you're in Australia. If you use domestic email services, then the ISP is required to record all your received and set emails.

Not surprising. I've always gotten the impression that Austrailia is second only to China and North Korea in terms of digital oppression.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #97903 on: October 12, 2015, 07:49:59 pm »

Australian government data collection laws :/

Basically the best reason ever to off-shore all your digital services if you're in Australia. If you use domestic email services, then the ISP is required to record all your received and set emails.

Hmm. And here I was thinking I'd just move to Australia if the US ever got so bad I wanted to move out. Guess the next best option is Canada now, eh.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #97904 on: October 12, 2015, 07:56:55 pm »

Shall we just expand this hypothesis to "governments suck" then?
Sigtext

Pages: 1 ... 6525 6526 [6527] 6528 6529 ... 8167