Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6512 6513 [6514] 6515 6516 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9453610 times)

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #97695 on: October 06, 2015, 01:23:39 am »

It's a matter of scale at that point, I'd say. Sure, in a case where you exist for thousands of years longer in the memories and records of future generations, you don't truly "cease to exist" at your death (and therefore don't "lose" at that point). However, you would eventually cease to exist at some point thousands of years after your death, which does mean that at some point down the road you will eventually truly "lose", and what you have done will become just as meaningful as any other act of random chance.

The way that I see it the only way to really guarantee that that never happens is to ensure that some part of you becomes truly immortal, as that would simultaneously ensure that your acts remain meaningful throughout all of time and never lose that aspect. This could be through biological immortality, creating an AI that would last forever, or rewriting the laws of the universe, but the important point is simply that it carries some aspect forwards forever, thus ensuring its own meaning.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #97696 on: October 06, 2015, 01:24:08 am »

Is this a good time to mention my plan to make an AI personality of myself that will infect all computers in the world and become the overlord of Earth?
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97697 on: October 06, 2015, 01:26:22 am »

Is this a good time to mention my plan to make an AI personality of myself that will infect all computers in the world and become the overlord of Earth?
You've got my support for securing your eternal legacy! (As long as it doesn't interfere with my current plan to live forever, that is, since then I would have to destroy it to ensure my eternal legacy. :P)
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #97698 on: October 06, 2015, 01:30:48 am »

You've got my support for securing your eternal legacy! (As long as it doesn't interfere with my current plan to live forever, that is, since then I would have to destroy it to ensure my eternal legacy. :P)
I could integrate you into the hivemind. I'm totally fine with the virus being the collective consciousness of Bay12 members.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #97699 on: October 06, 2015, 01:43:47 am »

I spent a lot of time today thinking about consciousness and it ending in a semi-asleep state of mind. Maybe it seems really really obvious, but I've just realized I really really don't want to die. Like, I considered that my life would eventually end before with a degree of ambivalence, but I only now fully grasp the horror of not existing.
Don't fear death. Instead, make the most of your life. It's pretty much inevitable that you're going to die, but you have good while to live. Do something awe-inspiring with your life, and people will remember you for years to come, and you'll never truly 'not exist'. That is why my personal ultimate life goal is to get into history books.

And no, non-existence doesn't hurt either, since you'd not be around to feel it.
See, here's the thing: I used to think that way too. I mean, heck, I haven't been around for over 13 billion years already! And I only exist in and am confined to a tiny sliver of a spec of dust in space!

But then thinking about that more, I realized something:

I'm actually kinda sad at not getting to see any of that. It's like stumbling across a massive webcomic of absurdly good quality, getting to read one page of it, knowing that before and after it are a vast quantity of unseen pages, the links to which have all gone 404. There are forums of people talking about even the most minute details; but you will never get to see those, nor will you even hear about those details which happened to not be noticed by those people at the time you're looking.

All we get is fragmentary bits and pieces of these past great story arcs; nearly inscrutable hints at future story arcs. We will never get to see the formation of galaxies, the rise of life on earth. Nor in our lifetime will we even know where else life arose, apart from perhaps the faintest glimmer of discovery on a small number of other specs of dust, if we're very very lucky. We will never see humans spreading out to more than one or two of those specs of dust, let alone the long-scale migration across the cosmos which may or may not come. We won't see others who may or may not be doing the same. We won't see whether life still persists as the universe itself winds down; or whether life itself finds a way to stabilize the very universe it resides in in a way that allows life to continue living in it indefinitely.

And dangit, that's a whole lotta cool stories we're missing out on. :<

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #97700 on: October 06, 2015, 01:45:53 am »

Mom having stress and bad dreams, Dad having an accident requiring $3000 in repairs. Friends having a tough time at home, other friends losing hope.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #97701 on: October 06, 2015, 01:47:10 am »

The way that I see it the only way to really guarantee that that never happens is to ensure that some part of you becomes truly immortal, as that would simultaneously ensure that your acts remain meaningful throughout all of time and never lose that aspect. This could be through biological immortality, creating an AI that would last forever, or rewriting the laws of the universe, but the important point is simply that it carries some aspect forwards forever, thus ensuring its own meaning.
The problem is, none of that is possible right now, so while they would be nice, I strive for the next best thing. Of course, they're not mutually exclusive; entering history as the inventor of a life extension treatment would be pretty nice, in addition to using that treatment. I'm studying pharmacy, and have maybe 60 or so years to create or find something great. Time will tell what that will be, but I will do my best to laugh at death's face instead of fearing it, all the while enjoying life.

That, or I'll just join the AI collective.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #97702 on: October 06, 2015, 01:48:07 am »

Kinda sad, kinda disappointed:  Sunday I decided I was feeling up to doing some strength training, because I've been sedentary for so long I decide to go fairly light and just do a solid set of thirty curls with the twenty pounders.  My right arm barely felt any burn, but my left is currently a painful mess, no damage, but really uncomfortable, and it means I won't be doing any more until it's better.  I knew I had been getting weaker since this stupid thyroid thing started, but damn it sucks to go from regularly curling sets of thirty with 45-50 in each arm down to this.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #97703 on: October 06, 2015, 01:50:36 am »

http://www.emhsoft.com/singularity/
A python game wherein a computer science project experiences... feature creep.
A stealth strategy game.  Last I played, a while ago, the mechanics weren't really as good as the concept.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97704 on: October 06, 2015, 01:55:28 am »

-snip-
Fair enough. I guess my end result will most likely be the same, only I'll be spitting instead of laughing. :P

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #97705 on: October 06, 2015, 01:59:12 am »

Quote from: Magus
If history is to change, let it change! If the world is to be destroyed, so be it! If my fate is to be destroyed, I must simply laugh!!
Once you accept your doom, you can attempt whatever you desire.
She/they
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #97706 on: October 06, 2015, 03:42:19 am »

Dammit my brother just went to sleep!  We were having such a good conversation about Star Control 2 races too.
In fact my "actual friends" list has no one else online"
And this forum has slowed...  Understandable at 4:30AM local, I guess.
But
I don't want to go to sleep
I blame recent discussions about mortality.
In fact, I will take comfort!  We have all experienced a proximity of death.  It is that sleep which seems to last an instant, but lasts several hours.  That is death!  What we see behind us.  What we experience in a dreamless sleep.

Oh scratch all that he woke back up, everything is fine! :D
She/they

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #97707 on: October 06, 2015, 03:45:40 am »

I blame recent discussions about mortality.
In fact, I will take comfort!  We have all experienced a proximity of death.  It is that sleep which seems to last an instant, but lasts several hours.  That is death!  What we see behind us.  What we experience in a dreamless sleep.

To die, to sleep. No more. And by to sleep I mean to end the heartache and the thousand natural shocks that the flesh is heir to. To sleep, perchance to dream. Aye, there's the rub; for in that sleep of death what dreams may come, must surely give us pause.

Unless my memory is off, you came within a hair of quoting Hamlet verbatim. :P

Edit: also it's quarter to eleven in the morning here.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #97708 on: October 06, 2015, 03:49:17 am »

What's hamlet?  Sounds gay.
Anyway, I am off to sleep.  Perchance to dream!

4:50AM wooo
She/they

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #97709 on: October 06, 2015, 05:25:25 am »

wooo
I can't tell if you're drunk, sleep deprived, or both.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.
Pages: 1 ... 6512 6513 [6514] 6515 6516 ... 8167