Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6506 6507 [6508] 6509 6510 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9455179 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #97605 on: October 01, 2015, 06:56:15 pm »

School shooting in Roseburg. Pretty short distance away, at a community college much like the one I'm attending right now...

*sigh* We just can't go a month or two without some major shooting happening these days.

I'm gonna bet 1,000 dollars (not in actuality of course) that it was someone with mental illness. Actually, no, saying that sounds a bit crude or crass or something.
The shooter posted a thread on 4chan's r9k board last night basically predicting the shooting. Due to him being a frogposter on 4chin's 2nd most cancerous shithole of a board, he probably was a bit of a nutcase.

Probably the reason it didn't raise any red flags is because it was indistinguishable from the usual shitposting that happens on 4chan.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #97606 on: October 01, 2015, 08:20:18 pm »

School shooting in Roseburg. Pretty short distance away, at a community college much like the one I'm attending right now...

*sigh* We just can't go a month or two without some major shooting happening these days.

I'm gonna bet 1,000 dollars (not in actuality of course) that it was someone with mental illness. Actually, no, saying that sounds a bit crude or crass or something.

Dude took a gun and gone shot a bunch of schoolkids. Of course he was bonkers, you'd have to be sodding balmy yourself to say otherwise.

You can't just go

did crazy thing>is mentally ill

It sounds intuitively true but its inferring motivation from action.  At risk of going all brooding and Alan Moore on you, "normal" people have done plenty of fucked up things.

This same BS comes up every time, usually from the NRA.  "Its not guns, its the mentally ill!"  "we just need to keep guns out of the hands of mentally ill people".  You know what?  Mentally ill people are seen as dangerous but the truth is they're disproportionally victims rather than perpetrators.  Its almost like having a disability makes you vulnerable or something!

Most of the people who do these shootings plan them out in a cold-hearted way.  Its not like they start hallucinating and firing a gun at random.  They know exactly what they're doing.  And not just that, they're angry.  In a long term way, usually at someone.  They publish manifestos and leave angry notes, they target specific people they think have wronged them.

Its like, saying "I want these people to die because I don't like them, and I'm willing to die because I'm unhappy, so I'm going to shoot up a school and then kill myself" is a totally logically sound viewpoint.  It requires a terrible value system, sure, but if you start with a rotten premise you can reach a rotten conclusion without using any faulty logic.

I'm not saying no mass shooters are mentally ill, I'm just saying its fucked up to push stuff like this onto a whole group of people without any kind of evidence.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #97607 on: October 01, 2015, 09:06:33 pm »

without any kind of evidence.
"I want these people to die because I don't like them, and I'm willing to die because I'm unhappy, so I'm going to shoot up a school and then kill myself"
That kind of though process is indicative of mental illness. People have nutty/violent/immoral fantasies, sure, but to follow through with it is evidence of such a thing, no?

This same BS comes up every time, usually from the NRA.  "Its not guns, its the mentally ill!"  "we just need to keep guns out of the hands of mentally ill people".  You know what?  Mentally ill people are seen as dangerous but the truth is they're disproportionally victims rather than perpetrators.  Its almost like having a disability makes you vulnerable or something!
Wait, what does that have to do with anything? Mental illness is an absurdly broad spectrum that manifests in any number of ways. Sometimes it's violence. Sometimes it's something else.

(Also, for the record, I think gun control is a very important part of preventing people from being shot.)

It requires a terrible value system, sure, but if you start with a rotten premise you can reach a rotten conclusion without using any faulty logic.
No, the logic isn't faulty per se, but how would a mentally healthy person justify gunning down a bunch of children and then themselves without some kind of extremely contrived circumstance?
« Last Edit: October 01, 2015, 09:08:13 pm by Orange Wizard »
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #97608 on: October 01, 2015, 09:13:26 pm »

I'm starting to think I'm still sexually repressed. Now, I am very aware that I at least was sexually repressed earlier in my life (thanks Christianity), but I also thought I got over it around the time I finished renouncing all Christian morality.

Specifically, all the depraved jokes in the world are fine by me, but recently I was asked directly what I like in women, and I just completely shut down and was unable to either answer nor conceive of an answer. It was a very weird feeling of mental insolvency. Looks like personal application still isn't ok.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #97609 on: October 01, 2015, 10:01:02 pm »

I'm starting to think I'm still sexually repressed.
So much for you being my timeclone. Just remember the story about the clown suit, pineapple juice, and rubber duckies.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #97610 on: October 01, 2015, 10:04:22 pm »

Sometimes not having an answer is the answer, and a good one. There's often no need to actually predetermine what you find appealing. Engage, discover, and find out as you go along. Often a trait you find repulsive in one person will be appealing in another and that's okay.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #97611 on: October 01, 2015, 10:07:04 pm »

So much for you being my timeclone. Just remember the story about the clown suit, pineapple juice, and rubber duckies.
[TRAUMA INTENSIFIES]
Sometimes not having an answer is the answer, and a good one. There's often no need to actually predetermine what you find appealing. Engage, discover, and find out as you go along. Often a trait you find repulsive in one person will be appealing in another and that's okay.
No, no, I can think about this fine, the issue is that I suddenly can't do it while socially interacting.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #97612 on: October 01, 2015, 10:09:22 pm »

[TRAUMA INTENSIFIES]
Naw, it was a good night. Really, really weird, and really, really awkward, but pretty good.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #97613 on: October 01, 2015, 10:10:51 pm »

without any kind of evidence.
"I want these people to die because I don't like them, and I'm willing to die because I'm unhappy, so I'm going to shoot up a school and then kill myself"
That kind of though process is indicative of mental illness. People have nutty/violent/immoral fantasies, sure, but to follow through with it is evidence of such a thing, no?
No.  No it is not.  I don't know why you would think that.  People don't follow through with their fantasies because they either don't actually want them in real life (AKA "I'm into bondage but that doesn't mean I actually want to go to jail") or they're afraid of the consequences.  Since these things are generally elaborate televised suicide attempts, consequences are irrelevant to the shooter in the personal sense.

Furthermore, you seem to be falling into the trap of talking about mental illness in generic terms.  People are not insane, they are not nutty, they are not crazy.  They have *specific* mental illnesses.  There is actually a specific mental illness that does involve lack of guilt (what was formerly known as psychopathy, I can't remember the current name), but it also involves lack of restraint and reduced feelings of anxiety and fear, none of which really match the profile of the average school shooter.  There are mental illnesses involving poor impulse control, but they're *immediate*.  Its more "I was angry so I hit him" or "I can't help myself from fidgeting".  You don't trip and fall and shoot up an entire school.
Wait, what does that have to do with anything? Mental illness is an absurdly broad spectrum that manifests in any number of ways. Sometimes it's violence. Sometimes it's something else.
Its relevant because this line of thinking is prejudice, plain and simple.  Its fear and misunderstanding of the mentally ill.  I wasn't making an argument, I was explaining why I care.

Furthermore, again, no it is not.  It does not manifest in "any number of ways".  It manifests in a large number of SPECIFIC ways.  I find it really telling that, in all of this, you've never attributed a specific mental illness to the shooter.  You're just sure he's mentally ill.  You don't know how, but surely its in there somewhere.
It requires a terrible value system, sure, but if you start with a rotten premise you can reach a rotten conclusion without using any faulty logic.
No, the logic isn't faulty per se, but how would a mentally healthy person justify gunning down a bunch of children and then themselves without some kind of extremely contrived circumstance?
Augh, I didn't want to go here, but... easily.  How did Japanese soldiers justify impaling children and mothers on the same bayonet?  How did the entire fucking south justify hanging people for looking at a white person funny?  How do people justify all the various hate-killings, progroms, targeted harrassment, ect. all over the world (plenty of which go after teens, kids, and young adults)?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
There, I went full broody and Alan Moore.  This isn't even my final form and all that.

I'll close by saying that mentally ill people exist, they are on the internet, and they do not want to come here to post their sads and read people lumping them in with mass-shooters with no real evidence.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #97614 on: October 01, 2015, 11:05:03 pm »

NRA does have a point though. More strict gun laws like what the politicians are now pushing aren't a guaranteed solution to something like this ever happening again. Supposedly, the school campus was a gun-free campus, it was already illegal to bring a gun on the campus even for self-defense, much less bring a gun on campus to kill other people. And of course, murdering people is illegal. Did that stop the guy? Obviously not. If a guy wants to do some illegal shit like kill people, any amount of laws probably won't stop him short of physically restricting him. If he can't get a gun, he could use a knife. Or a blunt weapon. Or arson. Or bombs. Or chemicals. Laws can only do so much.

The fact the shooter posted on r9k does provide a glimpse at his mindset. Most people on the board are either shitposters or social outcasts who feel isolated, lonely, depressed, and stuck in a rut and discriminated against by the successful majority "normies" who are attractive, well-liked, have friends, active social lives, regular sex, etc. And the general mindset of the board is to put the blame on the normies for the lack of success of the r9k users. So the normies are portrayed as the enemy, etc etc. Put two and two together and it's easy to see how some nutjobs can go too far, like this most recent shooting, or Elliot Rodger a few years back.

I think this should be drawing attention to societal and cultural problems in modern society rather than "muh gun control" or "muh mental illness treatment".
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #97615 on: October 01, 2015, 11:16:46 pm »

Wow no fuck you.
The fact that he posted on r9k doesn't show a glimpse into anything.  Wanting to scream into an anonymous morass doesn't at all indicate that someone is a danger to others.  Hell, I should be sharing there instead of here.

EnigmaticHat said it best.  Mental illness is a very varied set of conditions.  You certainly can't reduce it to "posts in anonymous message boards".
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #97616 on: October 01, 2015, 11:19:22 pm »

Rolan7 confirmed beta sympathizer.
No Gods, No Masters.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #97617 on: October 01, 2015, 11:24:10 pm »

Well, not that anyone will believe this, but I don't frequent r9k :P
Pretty much just /tg/ and a few others.  Not /b/ either, ew.
But judging someone based on posting in those places is pretty revealing, honestly.

Hell, this whole forum is pretty much a prime example of tripf#ging and its downsides.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #97618 on: October 01, 2015, 11:37:38 pm »

There really shouldn't be any few others, everything but /tg/ is terrible. Like /x/. You know, /x/ was good once. Then everything became terrible.
No Gods, No Masters.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #97619 on: October 01, 2015, 11:43:31 pm »

Wow no fuck you.
:C

Sowwy. I like reading about and dissecting the psychological motives behind these kinds of events. Guess I should've just waited until more information-if any-got released before talking my mouth off. I didn't have much to go on at the time of my post except he made a thread in a certain internet place before the act.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.
Pages: 1 ... 6506 6507 [6508] 6509 6510 ... 8167