Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6491 6492 [6493] 6494 6495 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9452116 times)

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #97380 on: September 22, 2015, 05:15:01 pm »

If your answer is f(x) (or limit)=0/0, you have something you need to simplify out.  And a domain restriction.
Either 0/0 or num/0 or 0/num. Woo, great, awesome, I definitely got some stuff wrong. In any case it's too late now. (ノ oДo)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
If it's any help, 0 is a pretty common result. Maybe even the most common. Especially if you're taking the sort of test designed as a learning experience (that is, doing examples of stuff you already know should reinforce the stuff you were supposed to learn). Results that yield a "that's weird" or "neat!" often show up on such things.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #97381 on: September 22, 2015, 05:17:21 pm »

Back to the doctor's sometime today. They open at 5, so by the time I get there, it will probably be packed.

I ran out of medication on Sunday. I think. Or my mom forgot to give me a pill yesterday and the day before, like she often does. Because she carries them around with her. Even after my doctor said that I should be the one in charge of making sure I take them.

My mom is embarrassed by it, I think. Absolutely no-one, not even our own family must know about this. Except my nan. Okay, so my mom's side is allowed to know, but not my dad or his side of the family.

Wait. Embarassed about what?
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #97382 on: September 22, 2015, 05:19:11 pm »

Me being on medication for anti-anxiety.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97383 on: September 22, 2015, 05:21:53 pm »

I read != as equivalent, IE in both directions. Might depend on context since I don't think it's real notation outside programming languages...
!= means "is not equal to" in programming languages, though...
Well it really means "is this not equal to the other?".

Like, rhetorically?
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #97384 on: September 22, 2015, 05:27:42 pm »

I read != as equivalent, IE in both directions. Might depend on context since I don't think it's real notation outside programming languages...
Well it really means "is this not equal to the other?".

Like, rhetorically?
Like it returns a boolean.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #97385 on: September 22, 2015, 06:41:16 pm »

*not equivalent
Phone typo...  Thanks for catching it though, kinda changes the meaning :P
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97386 on: September 22, 2015, 06:50:17 pm »

Damnit. It's happened again... too many tabs open.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #97387 on: September 22, 2015, 07:04:19 pm »

Ugh, should probably go to sleep, it's 2 AM. Don't really have anything terribly important since uni stuff is done until next week, but I'm also kinda bored out of my mind. Too bored to stay awake but for some reason still refusing to go to sleep. Mneh, might try some sketching or something.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #97388 on: September 22, 2015, 07:39:55 pm »

Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #97389 on: September 22, 2015, 07:48:52 pm »

Ugh, should probably go to sleep, it's 2 AM. Don't really have anything terribly important since uni stuff is done until next week, but I'm also kinda bored out of my mind. Too bored to stay awake but for some reason still refusing to go to sleep. Mneh, might try some sketching or something.
Get off the computer, man. Staring at the screen makes it a lot harder to get to sleep.

I should take my own advice, not getting to sleep until 6-7am most days. I suppose that belongs here. :|

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #97390 on: September 22, 2015, 08:08:41 pm »

Ugh yeah, I've gotten 4 hours two days in a row now through no fault but my own.  Unraveling just a bit.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #97391 on: September 22, 2015, 08:10:53 pm »

Get off the computer, man. Staring at the screen makes it a lot harder to get to sleep.
F.lux (or an equivalent) helps! Somewhat. Actually pretty substantially, in my experience. It's definitely still harder, but notably less so. Screen tint/dimming software has helped my sleeping habits pretty significantly, heh.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #97392 on: September 22, 2015, 09:02:52 pm »

I have lovely scripting, complimented frequently.... Saddening, the things said about script these days.... Should I even speak?

I won't try and they won't allow bringing an ipad into the jail. Many judges here either glare or declare "get out" at those in courtrooms.

Once, I wrote a list, and was surprised my niece couldn't read it: cursive, you see.... I taught it to her in 3 afternoons, and she flows like I do. Am I insane? Perhaps. I've been accused of it before. I always thought better to know too much than too little. I might be wrong. I really might. I don't know that I "get it" anymore and am quite terrified that I actually do....

I know old things and how to make due without and with it all falling down. The fast food workers can't make change without a machine anymore. Power went out; one of them looked at me dumbfounded, doing it by hand. Didn't trust me. I rescued a failing company, and the human resources director hated me, because I insisted on not using "linkedin." She was astonished, floored, hateful even, refused to "take responsibility," for the hires I made. She didn't; they still work there; she still fumes at me. What can I say, I know good engineers when I see them, because I know bad engineers by throwing broken things at them and seeing them duck.

O yes, the computer is faster, sometimes better. The "best of breed" solution works well, but is sometimes expensive, and we're all broke.

My sewing machine works faster than I, but knowing how to back-stitch by hand is sometimes useful. Helps you know where it came from and what to do when the damn thing breaks.

Am I insane, because I actually know how to use an abacus, a slide rule, a calculator and a spreadsheet? Maybe.  I don't need to know how to navigate with a sextant, but I do.

They tell me with this "common core" that there is a "4th grade answer," and a "5th grade answer," and that teaches conceptual thinking. But, old methods don't?

My niece knows how to grow tomatoes out of 2 litter pop bottles, how to sun dry them into "tomato chips" (like potato chips) without fly problems, how to use an abacus, a side rule, and to write cursive, and more. She's also wonderful on computers and excel. "Learn all you can angel, I don't know what the world will be like for you, but I'll do everything to make it better."

What do I know? Maybe nothing. Is it too old? It's too late; always has been.
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97393 on: September 22, 2015, 09:11:19 pm »

why won't they let you bring in an ipad? Is it a security thing or a technophobia thing or do they just hate Apple as much as I do?
What is TPP
----------------------
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #97394 on: September 22, 2015, 09:17:16 pm »

They probably think it's witchcraft.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.
Pages: 1 ... 6491 6492 [6493] 6494 6495 ... 8167