Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6489 6490 [6491] 6492 6493 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9451987 times)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #97350 on: September 22, 2015, 02:46:45 pm »

Technically, that statement might be true :P  Since some rectangles aren't squares.  But yeah early school taught me that squares weren't rectangles, and learning the truth was like an introduction to set theory.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #97351 on: September 22, 2015, 02:53:05 pm »

Technically, that statement might be true :P  Since some rectangles aren't squares.  But yeah early school taught me that squares weren't rectangles, and learning the truth was like an introduction to set theory.
If you evaluate it RTL.  Sadly, phones do not have whatever symbol means "is subset of".  But yeah, they tried to tell me squares were not rectangles in fourth grade, and then TURNED RIGHT AROUND IN FIFTH GRADE.  Seriously.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #97352 on: September 22, 2015, 02:59:56 pm »

as going into a fourth grade class and hearing the students chanting multiplication tables (a method that was once used for brute-force memorization as the "proper" way to teach math)
This is how I learned multiplication.

In the 2000s.

Gosh, that was painful. I was normally ahead of my class but I lagged behind quite a while when we got there and I kept doing the tables long after everybody else was done because I don't learn well at all with brute memorization.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #97353 on: September 22, 2015, 03:00:28 pm »

Sadly, phones do not have whatever symbol means "is subset of".
You mean \subset ? :P
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #97354 on: September 22, 2015, 03:08:22 pm »

I read != as equivalent, IE in both directions. Might depend on context since I don't think it's real notation outside programming languages...
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #97355 on: September 22, 2015, 04:05:20 pm »

I read != as equivalent, IE in both directions. Might depend on context since I don't think it's real notation outside programming languages...
Well actually, it would evaluate as true in any actual program context.
The set of all squares is not the exact same thing as the set of all rectangles, let alone dealing with ordering.  But I meant it to be read (Assertion that) "Set of all squares is not subset of set of all rectangles".
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #97356 on: September 22, 2015, 04:06:18 pm »

Sadly, phones do not have whatever symbol means "is subset of".
You mean \subset ? :P
You can do that?  RAEG.  RAEG at all the weird set notation stuff!!!
Sigtext

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #97357 on: September 22, 2015, 04:09:43 pm »

My avatars seem to have vanished.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #97358 on: September 22, 2015, 04:17:52 pm »

imgur is having problems. My plan is to give it about a week before I try to find somewhere to migrate to, if the problems continue.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #97359 on: September 22, 2015, 04:23:56 pm »

Finished my calculus test. Oh god, someone kill me and put me out of my misery. So much math. So exhausted. I swear I did 8 out of 20 problems wrong because I kept getting the same answer for each problem (zero) so I'm fairly certain I did something wrong and two of those eight I didn't even have time to get to and uuuuuugh I definitely didn't get an A.

This is only the first test of the class and there's going to be 4 or 5 more tests and opportunities to raise my grade to make up for this first awful test but I feel terrible about it nontheless because I flubbed up. I could've done better if I hadn't wasted most of my weekend playing vidya games.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #97360 on: September 22, 2015, 04:25:48 pm »

Finished my calculus test. Oh god, someone kill me and put me out of my misery. So much math. So exhausted. I swear I did 8 out of 20 problems wrong because I kept getting the same answer for each problem (zero) so I'm fairly certain I did something wrong and two of those eight I didn't even have time to get to and uuuuuugh I definitely didn't get an A.

This is only the first test of the class and there's going to be 4 or 5 more tests and opportunities to raise my grade to make up for this first awful test but I feel terrible about it nontheless because I flubbed up. I could've done better if I hadn't wasted most of my weekend playing vidya games.
If your answer is f(x) (or limit)=0/0, you have something you need to simplify out.  And a domain restriction.
I don't know if that actually helps you any...Dang it, the sad is contagious.
All the same, GL.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2015, 04:29:04 pm by TheBiggerFish »
Sigtext

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #97361 on: September 22, 2015, 04:27:44 pm »

Its a useful skill to have if you actualy hand write things often,

Provided, of course, that no one will ever be called upon to read it
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #97362 on: September 22, 2015, 04:30:17 pm »

If your answer is f(x) (or limit)=0/0, you have something you need to simplify out.  And a domain restriction.
Either 0/0 or num/0 or 0/num. Woo, great, awesome, I definitely got some stuff wrong. In any case it's too late now. (ノ oДo)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #97363 on: September 22, 2015, 04:31:16 pm »

as going into a fourth grade class and hearing the students chanting multiplication tables (a method that was once used for brute-force memorization as the "proper" way to teach math)
This is how I learned multiplication.
I just didn't learn them. Git gud at mental maths son.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #97364 on: September 22, 2015, 04:32:04 pm »

Its a useful skill to have if you actualy hand write things often,

Provided, of course, that no one will ever be called upon to read it
I find that I write faster NOT in cursive.  Mostly because my handwriting kind of resembles it anyway.  Only less legible.

@Spehss_:  0/something is probably valid.  Something/0...Yeah, not so much.
Sigtext

Pages: 1 ... 6489 6490 [6491] 6492 6493 ... 8167