Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6487 6488 [6489] 6490 6491 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9451459 times)

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #97320 on: September 22, 2015, 07:50:22 am »

I would definitely support replacing all cursive education with something that teaches a useful skill.
How about Art History?
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #97321 on: September 22, 2015, 08:25:18 am »

Freaking blackouts.
All I want to do is get Armok Vision to a state where I can test if buildings are working right, and the power keeps going out.

It isn't even still raining

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #97322 on: September 22, 2015, 09:43:22 am »

It also isn't a "disobedience" issue, because the kid is torn between the teacher and her mother saying opposite things. She's got this teacher for maybe a year, 2nd or 3rd grade, and her mom for life. It's the same deal with "common core" and the new new math. They're reinventing the wheel for no reason, and doing it badly while inventing fake studies to support their agenda.

Of course it's a disobedience issue. her mother is not in charge of the class, the teacher is. Obviously 7 years old is a little young too understand it, and I don't blame her at all - the person I blame is the mother who needs to explain to the kid that while she's in class, she does what the teacher says and when she's not in class she can sign her name however she likes.

At some point children need to learn they aren't special little snowflakes who can do whatever they want because mommy said so, and that there are rules that have to be followed even if you don't like them.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Lord_lemonpie

• Bay Watcher
  • disco-froggin' since 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #97323 on: September 22, 2015, 09:56:32 am »

My bicycle got stolen at the train station today. Took me an hour to walk home, my parents are pissed as fuck even though I locked my bicycle and still got my keys, so I'll have to get up early as fuck the next few days.

Such is life in the Netherlands

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #97324 on: September 22, 2015, 10:03:00 am »

No rage thread yadda yadda...

Someone is going 40 on a 60 road. I finally reach a point where I can overtake them, I start to do so and they ACCELERATE as I do so. Apparently their ego can't take being overtaken by a small car so they risk me crashing into a car. What should have taken a few moments took ten seconds because of the tit and I'd have had to brake if it took any longer as we were approaching a turn on to a main road.

WHY do people have to REFUSE to be overtaken sometimes? If you're going slowly IT'S GOING TO HAPPEN!

Oh yes, those people, and the folks who either don't use turning signals, or use them when they're already turning deserve a special place in hell. Seriously, what fucking good is a turning light if you turn it on when I already see you turning!?!

Anyways, sads of the day are a mix of anxiety and sads. I'm moving to a new place, I found it after I paid for a months worth of rent for the current one, it's cheaper, slightly farther off and while it's lacking the spectacular view this place has there's a number of things that are much better (FREE INTERNET FINALLY WOOOO). The anxiety and sads is because I need to call the current landlord and tell him I'll be moving out after less than a month of being here and I have no idea what to tell him to not feel like a dick. I'll probably lie about some family issues because it's easy and avoids questions neatly instead of just telling him that I found a cheaper place and will be leaving now. God damn it me, you really need to learn how to reject people without feeling like shit over it :C
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #97325 on: September 22, 2015, 10:08:46 am »

Meanwhile, dialog has "completely died and turned into an undead horror" in the US. Communication skills with polite conversation are basically gone, and this is allegedly "cheaper," and thus a good thing.

We're all just shouting past each other using increasingly inflammatory wording with no meaningful value. Meanwhile, everything is going to hell in a handbasket.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #97326 on: September 22, 2015, 10:32:09 am »

Page not found. It's been removed?
TL;DR: A better love story than Twilight.

I read this whole thing thinking it was bait, waiting for the switch, but it never came.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #97327 on: September 22, 2015, 10:35:28 am »

No rage thread yadda yadda...

Someone is going 40 on a 60 road. I finally reach a point where I can overtake them, I start to do so and they ACCELERATE as I do so. Apparently their ego can't take being overtaken by a small car so they risk me crashing into a car. What should have taken a few moments took ten seconds because of the tit and I'd have had to brake if it took any longer as we were approaching a turn on to a main road.

WHY do people have to REFUSE to be overtaken sometimes? If you're going slowly IT'S GOING TO HAPPEN!

Most likely because they just realised they were going 20 w/w too slow and started gassing up.

Oh yes, those people, and the folks who either don't use turning signals, or use them when they're already turning deserve a special place in hell. Seriously, what fucking good is a turning light if you turn it on when I already see you turning!?!

They probably realised they hadn't hit the blinker yet too late and so hit it out of habitual reflex even though they were already in the middle of the turn.
Love, scriver~

Robot Parade Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Well, go on ... parade!
    • View Profile
« Reply #97328 on: September 22, 2015, 10:42:37 am »

It also isn't a "disobedience" issue, because the kid is torn between the teacher and her mother saying opposite things. She's got this teacher for maybe a year, 2nd or 3rd grade, and her mom for life. It's the same deal with "common core" and the new new math. They're reinventing the wheel for no reason, and doing it badly while inventing fake studies to support their agenda.

Of course it's a disobedience issue. her mother is not in charge of the class, the teacher is. Obviously 7 years old is a little young too understand it, and I don't blame her at all - the person I blame is the mother who needs to explain to the kid that while she's in class, she does what the teacher says and when she's not in class she can sign her name however she likes.

At some point children need to learn they aren't special little snowflakes who can do whatever they want because mommy said so, and that there are rules that have to be followed even if you don't like them.

You know, I don't even know how to civily disagree online with people anymore, or in person many times.

7 year old. Confusing choice: listen to mommy, or listen to teacher.

Rock.

Kid.

Hard Place.

It isn't a disobedience issue, because the kid is punished either way and there is effectively no right answer for her. Rather, there is no choice that doesn't end in punishment.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #97329 on: September 22, 2015, 10:51:47 am »

Calculus test soon. Much dread. Bad thoughts. Impending doom.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #97330 on: September 22, 2015, 10:53:40 am »

You know, I don't even know how to civily disagree online with people anymore, or in person many times.

7 year old. Confusing choice: listen to mommy, or listen to teacher.

Rock.

Kid.

Hard Place.

It isn't a disobedience issue, because the kid is punished either way and there is effectively no right answer for her. Rather, there is no choice that doesn't end in punishment.

Of course it's a disobedience issue - the kid is disobeying the teacher, that's pretty much what a disobedience issue is. The teacher is in charge of the classroom, not her mother. I'm not saying it's the kid's fault, or she deserves any blame or punishment, but she is disobeying.

That she apparently has a terrible mother who's going to punish her for not using cursive (uh, assuming this is the case, which it probably is not) does not change the fact that she's supposed to print her name, not write it in cursive.

it's a terrible situation for the kid, and I have only sympathy for her, but at some point she needs to learn that mommy is not in charge of everything.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97331 on: September 22, 2015, 10:57:27 am »

From what I've seen, barely anyone in 'Murica indicates.

I have no real opinion on the matter of cursive writing... I can't do it myself, but I don't have an issue with it being taught in schools.
I'm not sure why people dislike it so intensely.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #97332 on: September 22, 2015, 11:06:03 am »

That's fascinating....I actually had the same thing happen to me when I was about that age. My grandmother had taught me cursive between 1st and 2nd grade, and I was getting in trouble for using it at school and chastised for not knowing how to write, because I kept adding all these little tails and loops onto letters (sometimes block print that I made "cursive-y").

My grandmother came in for a meeting with the teacher, who pointed out my writing and said she didn't understand where this was coming from, at which point my grandmother (a non-confrontational little old woman) just gave her the SRS BSNS look and this exchange followed:

Grandma: "He's trying to write in cursive."
Teacher: "That can't be, we haven't taught them cursive yet."
Grandma: "I taught him cursive last summer."
Teacher: "What? Please don't do that, it makes our job much harder when the kids learn things ahead of schedule."
Grandma: *VRY SRS BSNS look*

If I remember right, this is the same teacher that I got into an argument with on a science test. The test was on the solar system, and the question was "Which planet do you think is the hottest?"

Being an astronomy geek, I answered Venus, because I knew the average surface temperature of all the planets. She marked it wrong, which I protested.

Teacher: "You were supposed to answer Mercury, because it's closest to the sun."
Me: "But that's not right! Venus is hotter, I can show you in the encylopedia where it says that."
Teacher: "Yes, but the textbook didn't tell you that, so you were supposed to answer which one you thought was hottest."
Me: "I did. I answered Venus, because I know it's hotter, so that's the one I think is hotter."

Took my grandparents getting involved in order to get her to change the test score. It was probably not that big a surprise that they called us in over Christmas break and announced that they were moving me from 2nd grade to 3rd grade after Christmas. I've never forgotten that though, as an example of one of the core problems in education (especially basic education): Teachers and administrators that want a one-size-fits-all curriculum and can't deal with kids who are either far ahead or far behind the average. There have been a lot of programs created since to help kids that far behind the curve, but not a lot for kids far ahead of the curve, other than bumping them up a grade (which is a lot less common these days).

This isn't just an academic issue for me, because my daughter is already reading two grade levels ahead of where she is, and she's getting bored at times. This is in no small part due to the fact that her mother and I have always made more challenging material available to her. She's just started 3rd grade, and over the weekend she checked out an introductory algebra textbook from the library. Luckily, her teachers so far have recognized that and tried to find ways to challenge her within the curriculum framework. But I'm waiting for her to hit the landmine of that teacher that is annoyed by a student using knowledge they "shouldn't have yet".

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Robot Parade Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Well, go on ... parade!
    • View Profile
« Reply #97333 on: September 22, 2015, 11:09:31 am »

^^^
This.

Yes sir. Thank you sir.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #97334 on: September 22, 2015, 11:16:25 am »

I'm not sure why people dislike it so intensely.

It is a skill even more useless than Underwater Basket Weaving that makes written communication actively harder (even the best penmanship (which was rare even in the days when cursive was the default, and far more now) is far less legible than fairly poor manuscript and average-to-poor handwriting is almost unreadable by comparison), makes school worse for people with learning disabilities, and turns a difficult job (teaching middle school) into a nearly impossible one; yet people insist that it is better despite all evidence because that's what was beaten (literally, in the case of the oldest adults) into them when they were in school.

Going into a school classroom and seeing students learning cursive is every bit as outdated, and should be equally horrifying, as going into a fourth grade class and hearing the students chanting multiplication tables (a method that was once used for brute-force memorization as the "proper" way to teach math) or going into a geography classroom and seeing the Soviet Union on the wall map.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.
Pages: 1 ... 6487 6488 [6489] 6490 6491 ... 8167