Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6478 6479 [6480] 6481 6482 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9450053 times)

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #97185 on: September 16, 2015, 12:47:43 pm »

Nice ~clock~ Ahmed, bring it to my house and inspire me with your ~clock~

eheheh
I'm sorry
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #97186 on: September 16, 2015, 01:05:39 pm »

So EA in all their charitable glory offered RA2+Yuris Revenge today on Origin, for free. It was a pretty sweet deal all in all. Or it would've been if it actually worked. As is, it took me a bit to figure out which e-mail I used to register there and reset the password for that but that was ok. Then I tried several times over about an hour to download the free games, but it kept coming up with some sort of non-descript issue, asking that I try again later. This continued until one point, there was no longer a free game offer, instead the link redirecting you to the store to buy the C&C collection bundle thing.

Real smooth EA, real smooth.

Of course there were other, sads today but I don't feel like talking about those, so have some petty problems.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #97187 on: September 16, 2015, 01:23:04 pm »

Just found out that HP (or the remnant of it which I belong to) just announced ANOTHER 30,000 layoffs. On top of the 50,000 layoffs we've already gone through the last couple of years. And while they won't say where the layoff will be targeted, they did say that they intend to reach a 40-60 onshore ratio (40% of positions in the US). Currently it's 58%. So you tell me where the fuck those layoffs are going to be.

All so the stock price can tick up a few percent and our illustrious CEO can take home a bigger quarterly bonus. I've said it before, now I'm screaming it: FUCK CAPITALISM.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #97188 on: September 16, 2015, 01:37:34 pm »

Just found out that HP (or the remnant of it which I belong to) just announced ANOTHER 30,000 layoffs. On top of the 50,000 layoffs we've already gone through the last couple of years. And while they won't say where the layoff will be targeted, they did say that they intend to reach a 40-60 onshore ratio (40% of positions in the US). Currently it's 58%. So you tell me where the fuck those layoffs are going to be.

All so the stock price can tick up a few percent and our illustrious CEO can take home a bigger quarterly bonus. I've said it before, now I'm screaming it: FUCK CAPITALISM.

We really need some kind of punitive tax on outsourcing. And a higher capital gains tax. Really what we need is to get together with other nations and make a treaty to increase the capital gains tax the world over, so that there can be no escape
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #97189 on: September 16, 2015, 02:40:09 pm »

Y'know, it's even tougher to be a fair-minded tolerant liberal and go through this shit. If I were a typical conservative, I could just rail about them damn furriners taking mah jerb.
But shit, it's not like these guys wake up in the morning and say "How can I steal a job from an American today?"
They wake up and thank Krishna/Allah/whoever that they were able to get a college education and training and certifications and have a job better than elephant dung-scooper. They want a better life for them and their family, and there's absolutely no reason to be mad at them.

But all the same, I can't help feeling conflicted considering that I started training one of our new project managers this week, a very nice guy a little younger than me from Tamil Nadu who lives in Mumbai. The idea that I might be training someone who will one day displace me, through no fault of either of us....it's just weird. (And it wouldn't be the first time I've done that.)

And I can (and do) rail against senior management, but in a purely economic rationale, it makes sense. There's a big labor cost disparity between US/European labor and offshore labor, especially Indian offshore labor. The problem is that taken to the logical extreme, eventually no one in the US will have a job because we're all too expensive. Which means no one to buy all those fancy gadgets and services that the Third World is now making for us. The only thing left will be jobs that cannot be outsourced or automated.

It's going to be a weird fucking inversion when there's thinktanks and advanced fab plants in Africa, and the bulk of jobs in the US and Europe are subsistence farming and arts/crafts.

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #97190 on: September 16, 2015, 03:10:41 pm »

Dude, linear extrapolation is a cardinal sin in the economic prophecying business.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Worldmaster27

• Bay Watcher
  • Doop
    • View Profile
« Reply #97191 on: September 16, 2015, 03:36:30 pm »

school + friend drama = stressful sads

but it's whatever

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #97192 on: September 16, 2015, 03:59:17 pm »

Y'know, it's even tougher to be a fair-minded tolerant liberal and go through this shit. If I were a typical conservative, I could just rail about them damn furriners taking mah jerb.
But shit, it's not like these guys wake up in the morning and say "How can I steal a job from an American today?"
They wake up and thank Krishna/Allah/whoever that they were able to get a college education and training and certifications and have a job better than elephant dung-scooper. They want a better life for them and their family, and there's absolutely no reason to be mad at them.

But all the same, I can't help feeling conflicted considering that I started training one of our new project managers this week, a very nice guy a little younger than me from Tamil Nadu who lives in Mumbai. The idea that I might be training someone who will one day displace me, through no fault of either of us....it's just weird. (And it wouldn't be the first time I've done that.)

And I can (and do) rail against senior management, but in a purely economic rationale, it makes sense. There's a big labor cost disparity between US/European labor and offshore labor, especially Indian offshore labor. The problem is that taken to the logical extreme, eventually no one in the US will have a job because we're all too expensive. Which means no one to buy all those fancy gadgets and services that the Third World is now making for us. The only thing left will be jobs that cannot be outsourced or automated.

It's going to be a weird fucking inversion when there's thinktanks and advanced fab plants in Africa, and the bulk of jobs in the US and Europe are subsistence farming and arts/crafts.

What's really required is a pro-union movement in India and southeast asia
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #97193 on: September 16, 2015, 04:11:51 pm »

Colonies are the answer.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97194 on: September 16, 2015, 04:29:08 pm »

Nuclear war is the answer.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #97195 on: September 16, 2015, 04:31:00 pm »

Nuclearpunk colonies are the answer.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #97196 on: September 16, 2015, 04:41:03 pm »

We really need some kind of punitive tax on outsourcing.
Yeah, bring back mercantilism.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #97197 on: September 16, 2015, 04:54:37 pm »

Working for less shitty companies may also be the answer.

I should use those contacts and see if Planetary Resources is hiring....

Rubidium

• Bay Watcher
  • Rubidium has RETURNED
    • View Profile
« Reply #97198 on: September 16, 2015, 09:52:34 pm »

I imagined a picture of Lanthanum playing the violin. I wanted to draw it.
Sadly I'm not a very good drawer, so I can't draw it.
Disappointed at this.
Rubidium has RETURNED!

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #97199 on: September 16, 2015, 09:55:28 pm »

He's one of my favorites from your rotator, for what it's worth.
The justified smugness of a skilled showman.  I can imagine him playing the violin, and playing it well.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.
Pages: 1 ... 6478 6479 [6480] 6481 6482 ... 8167