Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6457 6458 [6459] 6460 6461 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9446851 times)

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #96870 on: September 04, 2015, 10:30:04 am »

On the other hand, I did notice that their favicon changed. :P

I don't know what to think of the new favicon. Is it supposed to be a gay rights thing, or is it just tacky?
favicon = Favorite Icon?

A favicon's the little picture beside the name in a tab. It's like an icon for webpages. I don't know why it's called that either, but Google's new one looks pretty terrible.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #96871 on: September 04, 2015, 11:30:42 am »

I also legitimately can't do the homework because she not only assigns it in German, but she uses German abbreviations that I don't understand. I thought I knew how to do at least part of it, but there are only up to exercise 49....when she's assigned #50. Like I try super hard to keep my grades up but this is making it really hard.
You know, I'll gladly help, being a native speaker and all. Maybe I can figure out those abbreviations, it's worth a try.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96872 on: September 04, 2015, 12:01:17 pm »

I also legitimately can't do the homework because she not only assigns it in German, but she uses German abbreviations that I don't understand. I thought I knew how to do at least part of it, but there are only up to exercise 49....when she's assigned #50. Like I try super hard to keep my grades up but this is making it really hard.
You know, I'll gladly help, being a native speaker and all. Maybe I can figure out those abbreviations, it's worth a try.

I figured it out just now! And it wasn't my fault, she just didn't set up the online textbook homework site right so it was a huge pain to get to. I may harass you in the future though :P its going to be a rough semester :/
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #96873 on: September 04, 2015, 12:24:57 pm »

Seeing as I'm able to check back here and reply, at least for now, here we go.

It feels like castisement, at least. Being told that I'm bring manipulated by my friends to hate my parents. That my doubting god is unacceptable. That eventually I'm going to have to type out exactly why I doubt him. That I'm going to have to essentially lie to myself and my parents even longer.

But that's beside the point!

Honestly, my parents are usually nice and try to understand me, but they bring up that I'm more comfortable talking to people online than them. I feel like its that way because it feels like I can just walk away if an answer annoys me and I just need a moment to think it over. I can't do that in real life. I also have trouble keeping my tone in a neutral area, so I'm stuck trying to both manage my tone and my words and it is just too much sometimes.

Hell, yesterday they were questioning me on why I doubt god and when I locked up then, my mom essentially left the room. "If you think your words are just too intellectual for my puny brain, fine. Let me know when you actually wanna talk."

This is after me trying to say something but stopping before the first word and then my mom getting mad at me for not wanting to just talk with her.

All of this with an aggravated tone, mind you.

And yes. My tone is very much like that. I want friendships. I want IRL friends. But I can't have them currently because I'm homeschooled and any group involving homeschoolers that my parents have brought up haven't interested me. I turned to the Internet because I can be myself. I wouldn't have to lie about my interests so I could get friends. I could be who Ice is without judgement.

* Iceblaster sighs.

I'll try and talk for a bit longer. Parents will be back sooner or later, so I dunno how long that time is.

Homeschooling really should be banned. The fact that it isn't is another example of parents being given too much free reign on how to raise their kids
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #96874 on: September 04, 2015, 12:30:35 pm »

Seeing as I'm able to check back here and reply, at least for now, here we go.

It feels like castisement, at least. Being told that I'm bring manipulated by my friends to hate my parents. That my doubting god is unacceptable. That eventually I'm going to have to type out exactly why I doubt him. That I'm going to have to essentially lie to myself and my parents even longer.

But that's beside the point!

Honestly, my parents are usually nice and try to understand me, but they bring up that I'm more comfortable talking to people online than them. I feel like its that way because it feels like I can just walk away if an answer annoys me and I just need a moment to think it over. I can't do that in real life. I also have trouble keeping my tone in a neutral area, so I'm stuck trying to both manage my tone and my words and it is just too much sometimes.

Hell, yesterday they were questioning me on why I doubt god and when I locked up then, my mom essentially left the room. "If you think your words are just too intellectual for my puny brain, fine. Let me know when you actually wanna talk."

This is after me trying to say something but stopping before the first word and then my mom getting mad at me for not wanting to just talk with her.

All of this with an aggravated tone, mind you.

And yes. My tone is very much like that. I want friendships. I want IRL friends. But I can't have them currently because I'm homeschooled and any group involving homeschoolers that my parents have brought up haven't interested me. I turned to the Internet because I can be myself. I wouldn't have to lie about my interests so I could get friends. I could be who Ice is without judgement.

* Iceblaster sighs.

I'll try and talk for a bit longer. Parents will be back sooner or later, so I dunno how long that time is.

Homeschooling really should be banned. The fact that it isn't is another example of parents being given too much free reign on how to raise their kids
I firmly disagree with that.
Homeschooling, done by a competent parent, and with a decent student, can allow for much more curriculum versatility.
Homeschooling done by an inept parent/unwilling student...Not so much,  but it's the exception rather than the rule I think.
Disclaimer:I have no firsthand experience with homeschooling or homeschoolers.  I may be completely and utterly wrong.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #96875 on: September 04, 2015, 12:31:04 pm »

Homeschooling by itself isn't always a bad idea. What it needs is quality control. Where I live, homeschooled students still have to go to regular school for exams, i.e. prove that they are actually receiving education instead of being brainwashed into an agenda.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #96876 on: September 04, 2015, 12:32:48 pm »

Homeschooling by itself isn't always a bad idea. What it needs is quality control. Where I live, homeschooled students still have to go to regular school for exams, i.e. prove that they are actually receiving education instead of being brainwashed into an agenda.
Yeah, that's a Big Important Thing I think?
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #96877 on: September 04, 2015, 12:48:50 pm »

I homeschooled in California for a year. It was worthless. I only had to turn in samples of the work I was doing rather than a whole big packet, meaning I was doing maybe a worksheet or two every month. And the test that I took was kind of a joke too; IIRC there wasn't even a math section. You could skate by on the bare minimum of competence just like public school, but without any of the benefits that public school offers (like, y'know, trained professionals who've been educating children their whole lives).

Homeschooling would be rough on a kid socially, too. I remember friends at school being pretty much the only component of my social life from ages 4 through 12 or so.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #96878 on: September 04, 2015, 01:01:35 pm »

I homeschooled in California for a year. It was worthless. I only had to turn in samples of the work I was doing rather than a whole big packet, meaning I was doing maybe a worksheet or two every month. And the test that I took was kind of a joke too; IIRC there wasn't even a math section. You could skate by on the bare minimum of competence just like public school, but without any of the benefits that public school offers (like, y'know, trained professionals who've been educating children their whole lives).

Homeschooling would be rough on a kid socially, too. I remember friends at school being pretty much the only component of my social life from ages 4 through 12 or so.
friends at school has been by far the biggest component of my social life for a long time :P I'm 16. things are getting better though, but it's still a big part. I don't know how I would be able to function in society if I was homeschooled o.o

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #96879 on: September 04, 2015, 01:14:19 pm »

I think one of the problems with homeschooling is that most of the regulations are just tests and things to make sure you're learning the basic curriculum. This problem is kind of unrelated to the education itself though. For some kids, school is the only time they have some tiny amount of freedom. Homeschooling lets abusive parents take even more complete control of their kid's lives by isolating them from society.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2015, 01:22:58 pm by penguinofhonor »

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #96880 on: September 04, 2015, 01:23:43 pm »

Or it lets kids develop a warped worldview just on accident because they're not meeting people different to themselves on a regular basis.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #96881 on: September 04, 2015, 01:49:49 pm »

Or it lets kids develop a warped worldview just on accident

Or many times, on purpose
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Calidovi

• Bay Watcher
  • agnus dei
    • View Profile
« Reply #96882 on: September 04, 2015, 03:27:44 pm »

Or it lets kids develop a warped worldview just on accident

Or many times, on purpose

I've actually seen that very little. It's not like your parents are convinced that someone needs to be indoctrinated to accept beliefs. Most of the time they just let their thoughts slip. They're used to it happening and they wouldn't think against it.

Children aren't force-fed lies by some weird home-based propaganda machine in the developed world.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96883 on: September 04, 2015, 03:42:44 pm »

I was homeschooled from 5th-8th grade, and I think that it was a pretty good thing...academically. (I always do pretty fantastic on standardized tests, even if I don't study too hard, which has been a boon.) Socially and relationship with my family-wise, though, it was horrible. My mom and I have always had a ton of issues, compounded by being at home all the time. I was suicidal for a period during middle school due to some severe depression (both because of a ton of intense animosity between my mom and I and struggling with the whole gay thing) that I never really told anyone about.

Transition-wise, I did pretty well for the first half of my freshman year. Then we moved across the country, and it took me like a year to start to actually make friends.

I don't know, I feel like there is a way that homeschooling can be done right, and it's not as if there aren't issues with the current public school system as it is...however, I think that it's very easy to mess up, especially since the kind of parents who would want to home-school are usually the kind of parents that are strict to an extreme.

I'd be interested in a spin-off thread about homeschooling if anyone would like to extricate that (or I can if others want to further discuss).
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #96884 on: September 04, 2015, 03:58:39 pm »

@TheBiggerFish No, you're pretty much right. Effective homeschooling can be in many ways straight-up better than formal schooling, speaking from personal experience. It just depends heavily on the child in question, and how good the people doing the teaching are.

Saying homeschooling should be banned because people use it for brainwashing is like saying the internet should be controlled because people use it for brainwashing, and yet people flip out about censorship if you suggest the latter.

It's not a perfect analogy, but the important bits are there.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.
Pages: 1 ... 6457 6458 [6459] 6460 6461 ... 8167