Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6456 6457 [6458] 6459 6460 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9446802 times)

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #96855 on: September 04, 2015, 12:35:00 am »

Google's new logo. I hate Google's new logo! It's like staring into the face of Mephistopheles himself!
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #96856 on: September 04, 2015, 12:55:50 am »

Following the trend of solid colour blocks, I see. Looks like arse, but I'm not a graphic designer so my opinion is irrelevant.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #96857 on: September 04, 2015, 01:23:01 am »

...its really hard to get to sleep when you're smothered in kittens trying to play-fight with one another and you...
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #96858 on: September 04, 2015, 02:50:49 am »

Google's new logo. I hate Google's new logo! It's like staring into the face of Mephistopheles himself!
I can honestly say I didn't notice it, despite the big thing (was that yesterday or the day before?) about them changing it.

On the other hand, I did notice that their favicon changed. :P
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #96859 on: September 04, 2015, 03:41:25 am »

I guess that's cool if you trust Microsoft.  They're definitely getting the data, right?  And we don't get to see how they process it?  Even if Microsoft has no plans to use this data to determine sensitive user information, we're also trusting them to keep it secure.

There's a reason legitimate programs *ask* before collecting user metrics.  It's *at least* something the user should be aware of, and really should be opt-in only.  Doing it secretly like this is legit suspicious.

really

if they were doing it "secretly", there wouldn't even be an option

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #96860 on: September 04, 2015, 04:03:13 am »

I guess that's cool if you trust Microsoft.  They're definitely getting the data, right?  And we don't get to see how they process it?  Even if Microsoft has no plans to use this data to determine sensitive user information, we're also trusting them to keep it secure.

There's a reason legitimate programs *ask* before collecting user metrics.  It's *at least* something the user should be aware of, and really should be opt-in only.  Doing it secretly like this is legit suspicious.

really

if they were doing it "secretly", there wouldn't even be an option
There... isn't? It's an automatic update.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96861 on: September 04, 2015, 09:12:51 am »

I'm taking the second level of a language course that I placed into after a university pre-test.

I also legitimately can't do the homework because she not only assigns it in German, but she uses German abbreviations that I don't understand. I thought I knew how to do at least part of it, but there are only up to exercise 49....when she's assigned #50. Like I try super hard to keep my grades up but this is making it really hard.

The only boon is that I'm pretty sure I'm the least confused in the class...the first like week or so there were people who didn't even know they were supposed to be doing homework out of the textbook. She teaches the grammar in German, too, which is just like...painful. I barely know what an accusative or dative case sentence is when it's being explained to me in my native tongue.

Oh well. As long as I can get a C, I'll be done forever. I'll be really disappointed and stressed the whole semester but it could be worse.
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #96862 on: September 04, 2015, 09:24:46 am »

I'm sorry everyone.

I'm screwed. My parents found everything and I've been trying to convince them to let things just go back to normal.

They're not. Nothing will go back to normal. They know everything I've posted. I don't know if they've found this account, but who cares. I'm screwed. Sorry to everyone. If I ever return, it'll be in a highly neutered form and hell, I might not even be able to post. Just mindlessly lurking as I internally cry at the fact I've lost everything. Hell, I'm breaking rules now just to post this while my parents are away. Who cares though.

Not like they ever did care. I talk to people online for almost two years and some chat logs and other things come along and now I'm having all my posts scrutinized on reddit. I'm fucked. I just hope that I can convince them. I just hope I'm not digging my own grave by trying so hard.

Dad said I'm isolating myself yesterday when I brought it up. Yeah. Right. I chose to let him look through chat logs with MCipher a year or so ago. I chose to let him get mad at me because I was talking to people online. Yeah I chose to make myself secretive so that I don't lose my friendships that I've formed.

Yeah. I chose all of that.

Truth is, only thing I chose was to make friends. If only I knew what'd happen a year or so ago. I'd have just not talked to anyone. I'd have become more of an outcast, unsure of how to express myself. I'd rather have not known anyone than to have them torn away from me.

Parents said I can't even talk to them without locking up. Why don't they realize that I'm not locking up because I've been manipulated.

I'm locking up because I'm being yelled at for what I did. I'm being relentlessly questioned. I'm not able to form a word because I'm lost on how to even respond to erp logs being found, or how to respond when you go through my contacts on Skype and talk about them. Or hell, when you go through my various accounts on the Internet to find information on what I do. Not to learn about me but to chastise me for feeling that way. Why. Why can't I just live and let live.

Why must I leave friendships simply because I did things you don't approve of. Why can't I be friends with people without you tearing me away because you don't know them. Why.

I don't know.

Goodbye everyone.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96863 on: September 04, 2015, 09:28:18 am »

toady can delete that guy's profile and make him less fucked

do we ask him to

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #96864 on: September 04, 2015, 09:37:41 am »

He's probably not allowed to.

Best of luck and Godspeed, Iceblaster.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #96865 on: September 04, 2015, 09:38:28 am »

[...]People on the internet aren't always what they say they are, so neve rtalk to anyone unless you know them spiel.

I just want people to be social with, and yet I feel like my dad doesn't want me to be. He doesn't want me in public school becuase 'things aren't what they were like when I was a teenager' and 'the world's gone to hell in a handbasket' so therefore homeschooling is 'what's best for you.'[...]
Seeing this context--generalizations enforce that kind of fear, of not understanding 'other people on the internet' in the interest of defense, protection, or safekeeping; rather than guiding the person in facing what one fears, sequestering them away in this context... does no efficient good. :-\

Iceblaster, if ever they check here--as my word who knows you as a friend: you aren't a bad person, nor are you consorting with bad people. Seeing this much pressure on you does no good for anyone involved--if ever you're able to contact school counseling services (or the related/similar service name in your area), please do so.

While I'm giving this the benefit of the doubt [as in, there is a possibility that what is being quoted is the harshest things mentioned {though possibly out of context}], the orange italicized portion is a very incomplete worldview, if its by itself the cause of all this. :-\ A very generalizing limitation--something that your parents should learn (ie From the hurt reflected in your tone here because of how limiting and constricting it is, not encompassing what really exists within the world, or understanding its minute mechanisms), though you could ask what he specifically means. While they may have well-intentions, you have to respond in a way to teach or let them understand too (unless its a very authoritarian form of parenting, though even then, what one says is still being listened to). Though I'm inferring many parts--you could ask what they mean (like to the orange portions, "Who are the people I speak with" or "What is different now?")

Though I don't understand why there is chastisement instead of understanding the person here. Understanding you is what is most needed.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2015, 10:00:54 am by Tiruin »

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #96866 on: September 04, 2015, 10:03:21 am »

Seeing as I'm able to check back here and reply, at least for now, here we go.

It feels like castisement, at least. Being told that I'm bring manipulated by my friends to hate my parents. That my doubting god is unacceptable. That eventually I'm going to have to type out exactly why I doubt him. That I'm going to have to essentially lie to myself and my parents even longer.

But that's beside the point!

Honestly, my parents are usually nice and try to understand me, but they bring up that I'm more comfortable talking to people online than them. I feel like its that way because it feels like I can just walk away if an answer annoys me and I just need a moment to think it over. I can't do that in real life. I also have trouble keeping my tone in a neutral area, so I'm stuck trying to both manage my tone and my words and it is just too much sometimes.

Hell, yesterday they were questioning me on why I doubt god and when I locked up then, my mom essentially left the room. "If you think your words are just too intellectual for my puny brain, fine. Let me know when you actually wanna talk."

This is after me trying to say something but stopping before the first word and then my mom getting mad at me for not wanting to just talk with her.

All of this with an aggravated tone, mind you.

And yes. My tone is very much like that. I want friendships. I want IRL friends. But I can't have them currently because I'm homeschooled and any group involving homeschoolers that my parents have brought up haven't interested me. I turned to the Internet because I can be myself. I wouldn't have to lie about my interests so I could get friends. I could be who Ice is without judgement.

* Iceblaster sighs.

I'll try and talk for a bit longer. Parents will be back sooner or later, so I dunno how long that time is.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #96867 on: September 04, 2015, 10:10:14 am »

If you think your parents really care about you and are inept about it, write that post down with a preface explaining why you're reading off a piece of paper to them, then read that post to them.

If you don't, instead lie to them. Tell them you've thought things through and it doesn't make sense to doubt god, etc. Tell them what they want to hear for long enough that they stop worrying that you might think things they don't. If you're lucky you can get enough good will that you can make them want to let you do things you really want, but you'll have to pitch it in terms based around what they want for you instead of what you want. It will be a shitty couple of years before you can get out, but it might be the best you can do.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #96868 on: September 04, 2015, 10:18:23 am »

I don't know what to think of the new favicon. Is it supposed to be a gay rights thing, or is it just tacky?
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #96869 on: September 04, 2015, 10:24:24 am »

Seeing as I'm able to check back here and reply, at least for now, here we go.

It feels like castisement, at least. Being told that I'm bring manipulated by my friends to hate my parents.[...]
...Uh. That ...isn't what's really going to happen, because any hate directed towards an anybody is foremost to the attitude given, in mundane situations (and towards a specific certainty of that attitude--though that's all under what words are provided and what they're directed at). ...But you hating them? That's something you'd not do. Like seriously (knowing you.).
You're giving direct detail despite the panic that they're kind and working to understand you. That speaks droves that they're more than...err, anything 'deserving' of hate. To be blunt. [although you do need to work on your wording when you're panicky or distressed. :P It may tend to only give one tiny part of the picture of what has happened].
Do note--what we base here is from what meaning we derive--usually if what one gets from another being a general case of D: There is a tendency to advise going away from the D: (or at least distancing), because people don't want to see others keep on getting hurt.

Mindfulness of wording is needed in order to convey a general, yet accurate picture.
Honestly, my parents are usually nice and try to understand me, but they bring up that I'm more comfortable talking to people online than them. I feel like its that way because it feels like I can just walk away if an answer annoys me and I just need a moment to think it over. I can't do that in real life. I also have trouble keeping my tone in a neutral area, so I'm stuck trying to both manage my tone and my words and it is just too much sometimes.
Its more like this is how it is perceived or interpreted--not actually that you are more comfortable online than talking with them--its the factors affecting the comfortability that matter, and its not exactly the matter of talking that creates discomfort. Other factors like aggression, misinterpretation, body language, tonal inflection also give associated meaning of their own (to be interpreted). You can talk this out with them. :) And you can do that in real life [can = not impossible; probably difficult now, but not impossible]. If problems with tone arise--mention that you've problems with tone and ask attention towards what you say instead.
Just not in a heightened emotional state or panic...else one may tend to dwell on things which seem 'most impactful' at the current time rather than the holistic picture.

All of this with an aggravated tone, mind you.
When arguments come to that point--its usually misinterpretations on both sides on unspoken areas of what one side wanted to say [ie {Person says something} (I feel attacked or affronted by a single part of the whole of what they said...and I don't respond, or my body language shies away) {How will they interpret that?}].

Maybe in this time of rest--compose your idea, instead of dwelling on the worst possible scenario as if it is what the upcoming scenario will become. Positive attitude in place? That predicts such a scenario, but also makes leeway for 'what can I do otherwise, or to make the best case happen too?'

I turned to the Internet because I can be myself. I wouldn't have to lie about my interests so I could get friends. I could be who Ice is without judgement.
Because this is a good point out of context. An example is you and me--you were you, and I was...me. :P Totally ok.
You just have to explain yourself to them without prejudice, or a tone of such, in your idea/wording--or on how it may be interpreted. :)
Spoiler: Prejudice? (click to show/hide)

I don't know what to think of the new favicon. Is it supposed to be a gay rights thing, or is it just tacky?
favicon = Favorite Icon?
« Last Edit: September 04, 2015, 10:37:36 am by Tiruin »
Pages: 1 ... 6456 6457 [6458] 6459 6460 ... 8167