Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6442 6443 [6444] 6445 6446 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9446022 times)

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #96645 on: August 26, 2015, 11:17:40 pm »

...Absquatulate wasn't a combat command in HS when that was a thing that happened.  Dang it, Dictionary.com, y u do dis now.

verb
1. Slang. to flee; abscond: The old prospector absquatulated with our picks and shovel.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #96646 on: August 27, 2015, 04:03:01 am »

@Laptisen: the "hunter-gatherer" life would certainly be more ideal than things are now.

Meh, I like the luxuries of modern civilization. Medical care, the interwebs and books, mostly. And not having to be exposed to the nature as much.

These would win me over if I actually got to spend more than 10% of my life enjoying them, and the other 90% wasn't crushing stress, depression, pressure, and anxiety.
So you basically go 'My life is shite' ---> 'Burn society! Buuuuurn!' ?
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96647 on: August 27, 2015, 04:04:08 am »

@Laptisen: the "hunter-gatherer" life would certainly be more ideal than things are now.

Meh, I like the luxuries of modern civilization. Medical care, the interwebs and books, mostly. And not having to be exposed to the nature as much.

These would win me over if I actually got to spend more than 10% of my life enjoying them, and the other 90% wasn't crushing stress, depression, pressure, and anxiety.

please list the five most important factors in a person's development

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #96648 on: August 27, 2015, 04:44:59 am »

Stress, depression, pressure, anxiety, and trauma.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #96649 on: August 27, 2015, 08:42:36 am »

Words cannot describe how much I hate the business world.  I would seriously rather live as a hunter-gatherer in an uncivilized world than live day in and day out feeling such immense pressure to fight like rabid vermin over stupid petty numbers (solely for the benefit of people who don't know or care about us), knowing that the homelessness that may follow refusal to keep up the act is even harsher in our modern everything-is-owned-and-nothing-is-shared landscape than life as a hunter-gatherer ever was.  I'm overwhelmed with so much anger and hatred right now over all the bullshit.  Just because some trucking station failed to follow directions for a couple days in a row, and cost us $50 because of it.  And tomorrow is going to be a ridiculous shitload of stupid drama as a result.  Why haven't we burned it all fucking down yet?

Sure, burn it all down. What follows suit is usually portrayed romantically, but come on now. How ideal would the life of a hunter-gatherer be? And if you don't like that lifestyle, I urge you to unveil and execute perfect communism.
I don't think perfect communism will ever happen.  However, I think that some sort of system where there's a base amount of resource allocation that you can claim as needed, and trade with or give to others.  Businesses would be run and staffed by, you know, people who choose to run/work for businesses, who would, at most, get free products from that business as compensation....Hmh.  Must flesh out system more...
I think it miiiiight work.
Eh, that's the basic idea behind Guaranteed Income. :v Give people enough money to survive, trust them to know what they need to buy to survive, and keep (most) of the rest of capitalism. :v Once people don't need to work to live, they have a lot more power in the labour market, and a lot (not everything) falls into place.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #96650 on: August 27, 2015, 10:05:48 am »

My Achilles sinew makes weird noises when I use it.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96651 on: August 27, 2015, 10:07:16 am »

vocaroo your sinew noises

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #96652 on: August 27, 2015, 10:14:51 am »

That thing when your surname carries some of the heaviest weights in town, and a few bad mentions from a contractor gone awry causes some muslims to stalk my family with a gun.

...I want to be done with this shit for good. Why is it back.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #96653 on: August 27, 2015, 11:41:22 am »

Words cannot describe how much I hate the business world.  I would seriously rather live as a hunter-gatherer in an uncivilized world than live day in and day out feeling such immense pressure to fight like rabid vermin over stupid petty numbers (solely for the benefit of people who don't know or care about us), knowing that the homelessness that may follow refusal to keep up the act is even harsher in our modern everything-is-owned-and-nothing-is-shared landscape than life as a hunter-gatherer ever was.  I'm overwhelmed with so much anger and hatred right now over all the bullshit.  Just because some trucking station failed to follow directions for a couple days in a row, and cost us $50 because of it.  And tomorrow is going to be a ridiculous shitload of stupid drama as a result.  Why haven't we burned it all fucking down yet?

Sure, burn it all down. What follows suit is usually portrayed romantically, but come on now. How ideal would the life of a hunter-gatherer be? And if you don't like that lifestyle, I urge you to unveil and execute perfect communism.
I don't think perfect communism will ever happen.  However, I think that some sort of system where there's a base amount of resource allocation that you can claim as needed, and trade with or give to others.  Businesses would be run and staffed by, you know, people who choose to run/work for businesses, who would, at most, get free products from that business as compensation....Hmh.  Must flesh out system more...
I think it miiiiight work.
Eh, that's the basic idea behind Guaranteed Income. :v Give people enough money to survive, trust them to know what they need to buy to survive, and keep (most) of the rest of capitalism. :v Once people don't need to work to live, they have a lot more power in the labour market, and a lot (not everything) falls into place.
I recall reading some book that suggested that as a future economic model.
What the heck was it...
The Lights in the Tunnel, I think?
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96654 on: August 27, 2015, 12:16:03 pm »

Didn't get enough sleep due to people being noisy.
You woulda thought they'd be more considerate, since I actually told them I was going to bed at 11PM so I'd have more energy today...
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #96655 on: August 27, 2015, 02:18:30 pm »

You know, people say they'd enjoy the hunter-gatherer lifestyle.

Then you take them camping.

Calidovi

• Bay Watcher
  • agnus dei
    • View Profile
« Reply #96656 on: August 27, 2015, 06:30:47 pm »

Being told no x5

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #96657 on: August 27, 2015, 06:52:09 pm »

I feel like I made some bad choices today without even realizing it. As it's about to be 7pm, but I can't help but feel pretty lonely as people seem to mostly be leaving or otherwise becoming occupied...

I guess there's still important things missing in my life. But I think I can get through this now at least.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #96658 on: August 27, 2015, 07:10:52 pm »

My fondest memories are rough camping in my teen years.  My dad and uncle would take me with them through the rockies on motorcycles, with nothing but a tent, a few day's clothes, and some very basic supplies strapped to the back.  We stayed at a lake one time where we only saw a single other human being for two whole weeks.  Have dealt with serious hunger while rationing food and cold to the point that my legs literally froze over with ice to the point that it shattered and fell off of me when I dismounted.  I felt much more alive facing those kinds of hardships than I ever have through my entire adult life.

Never said that hunter-gatherer lifestyle would be objectively desirable anyway.  But relative to most of my modern American adult life?  The only reason I continue day to day is because I have a family to support, so my life simply isn't my own.  I really have no actual desire to continue.  I'm just gritting my teeth and putting one foot in front of the other day after day, and I've felt that way almost every day for at least the past 6 years...
« Last Edit: August 27, 2015, 07:18:03 pm by SalmonGod »
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Calidovi

• Bay Watcher
  • agnus dei
    • View Profile
« Reply #96659 on: August 27, 2015, 07:14:53 pm »

My fondest memories are rough camping in my teen years.  My dad and uncle would take me with them through the rockies on motorcycles, with nothing but a tent, a few day's clothes, and some very basic supplies strapped to the back.  We stayed at a lake one time where we only saw a single other human being for two whole weeks.  Have dealt with serious hunger while rationing food and cold to the point that my legs literally froze over with ice to the point that it shattered and fell off of me when I dismounted.  I felt much more alive facing those kinds of hardships than I ever have through my entire adult life.

>tent
>few day's clothes
>basic supplies
>motorcycles

You have to make those from bone, bark and leather in the sweet wilderness.

Honestly, people just move to Alaska the Deep Calahari if they want that.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2015, 07:40:09 pm by Laptisen »

Pages: 1 ... 6442 6443 [6444] 6445 6446 ... 8167