Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6433 6434 [6435] 6436 6437 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9448763 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #96510 on: August 21, 2015, 12:05:51 am »

I wouldn't get too hung up on specific solutions if they're unlikely to be fulfilled.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #96511 on: August 21, 2015, 12:24:08 am »

The thing is, yes she is medicating for depression.
Hrg, sorry. Should have clarified with an "and sometimes even if they are." Mi madre, for example, has been on antidepressants for... something like fifteen, twenty years, I think, probably more by now, and if she goes off them the symptoms still come back, despite pretty much everything having improved since then, tremendously on many levels. And even on them it's not terribly difficult for her to fall back in to a depressive cycle. It's sometimes not really the most rational of afflictions, unfortunately.

... but yeah, seeing ways that would help to improve the situation, at least, and not being able to attain them is incredibly frustrating. As a person in a family with an almost ubiquitous history of depression, all I can say is I sympathize pretty sincerely. It's also, unfortunately, something that's pretty much guaranteed to happen if you're working with someone with long-term depression... probably repeatedly.

It's a vaguely damning (because gods fuck if it weren't so) thing to have repeated, but it's a mantra you just kinda' have to have when you're dealing with someone living with depression -- you're going to have things like this happen, and a lot of the time all you can really do is... be there, at best. And it's hard to emphasize how much being there helps, even if it doesn't seem like it in the short run. Be there, help how you can, wait for the next opportunity to help, even if this one is unobtainable. It can be a hard path, and a long one. Sometimes one without an end. But... your loved ones are worth it, yeah? Seems to be the thing you have to keep in mind, especially during the bad patches.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #96512 on: August 21, 2015, 01:09:40 am »

I feel like I'm at the end of my rope here. No matter what I do Gunner-Chan always falls back into depression thanks to events that happened months ago, and things she hoped would ease the pain from what happened that just never panned out. I don't know what to do anymore.
When dealing with my friends who have depression, I've found that creating an environment where they can talk about it and not worry about any kind of negative reaction is really important.  The unfortunate reality is, you can't cure someone else of depression.  Not on your own.  But you can express support.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #96513 on: August 21, 2015, 03:31:48 am »

I know this isn't much but this video helped me a number of times, might do the same for you/her or something, not sure.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #96514 on: August 21, 2015, 07:31:39 am »

Woken up to chase down the horses again, because they flipped out and took out the fence at some point last night. This is the worst chore.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #96515 on: August 21, 2015, 07:40:31 am »

I feel like I'm at the end of my rope here. No matter what I do Gunner-Chan always falls back into depression thanks to events that happened months ago, and things she hoped would ease the pain from what happened that just never panned out. I don't know what to do anymore.
When dealing with my friends who have depression, I've found that creating an environment where they can talk about it and not worry about any kind of negative reaction is really important.  The unfortunate reality is, you can't cure someone else of depression.  Not on your own.  But you can express support.

I suffered depression, and there was only ever exactly one person I was comfortable to talk about it with. I'm sure it was stressful and frustrating for her, but she was my life line when I had nobody else that I felt genuinely cared. Even if it seems like it isn't working, being friendly and supportive makes all the difference.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #96516 on: August 21, 2015, 12:19:04 pm »

Had to cancel my Soylent subscription. I love the stuff, but I cannot afford it right now. $10/day is too much when I can get nutritious meals for half that.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Rubidium

• Bay Watcher
  • Rubidium has RETURNED
    • View Profile
« Reply #96517 on: August 21, 2015, 12:19:55 pm »

Had to cancel my Soylent subscription. I love the stuff, but I cannot afford it right now. $10/day is too much when I can get nutritious meals for half that.
How does soylent taste like?
Rubidium has RETURNED!

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #96518 on: August 21, 2015, 12:28:20 pm »

Kinda like vanilla and bread. I like mixing a pack of hot chocolate in, makes it like a chocolate shake.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Rubidium

• Bay Watcher
  • Rubidium has RETURNED
    • View Profile
« Reply #96519 on: August 21, 2015, 12:41:29 pm »

Kinda like vanilla and bread. I like mixing a pack of hot chocolate in, makes it like a chocolate shake.
Does it taste delicious?
Rubidium has RETURNED!

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #96520 on: August 21, 2015, 12:43:45 pm »

Ugh, started up photoshop over an hour ago but I haven't made a single damn brush stroke yet :C

Fuck you, me, you procastrinating asshat.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #96521 on: August 21, 2015, 12:59:49 pm »

Does it taste delicious?
It's ok by itself. Not awful. Not the most amazing flavor ever. Nothing stopping people from mixing whatever they want into it for flavor. Cinnamon, fruits, cocoa, whatever.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #96522 on: August 21, 2015, 01:01:53 pm »

Vanilla and bread?  ...Now I want to try some.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #96523 on: August 21, 2015, 01:38:24 pm »

Yeah, it's not very vanilla flavored, and not very bread flavored, but if that's how I had to describe it that would be how. It barely has a taste, which makes it good for mixing with other things. Chocolate + Coffee is very good.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #96524 on: August 21, 2015, 10:22:37 pm »

Yeah, I still don't know what happened with Gunner-Chan, but much as my advice doesn't help, you can't put the onus on someone else for your wellbeing.
Again, completely unaware of the specifics, but it's sounding a little like "you've broken up with me and left me feeling empty, therefore it's your fault and you should come back to me".
Not a recipe that will ever spell happiness in the long run.

Nor that my advice is ever wanted or helpful. Thanks. Sorry. Bye.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.
Pages: 1 ... 6433 6434 [6435] 6436 6437 ... 8167