Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6430 6431 [6432] 6433 6434 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9447745 times)

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #96465 on: August 19, 2015, 02:21:29 pm »

My grandfather died.
Well.
 :(
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #96466 on: August 19, 2015, 02:23:14 pm »

My grandfather died.
Well.

:( That's terrible.

* Arx hugs.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #96467 on: August 19, 2015, 02:23:34 pm »

Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Rubidium

• Bay Watcher
  • Rubidium has RETURNED
    • View Profile
« Reply #96468 on: August 19, 2015, 03:58:52 pm »

My grandfather died.
Well.
That's so sad...  :'(
Rubidium has RETURNED!

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #96469 on: August 19, 2015, 10:20:56 pm »

A smaller sad, but evidently the default driver for NVIDIA cards on my preferred flavor of Linux just sort of shits itself during startup. The solution is to install the proprietary driver, but this is somewhat tricky when you can't get to a command line because the machine hangs while booting. Stupidly, my dumb assumption was that some configuration during installation was to blame, and reinstalling would fix it. I gambled that something I knew how to do (reinstall the OS and reinstall everything I need on it) would be faster than something I had no clue on. Turns out, it didn't solve the problem, so not only did I have to do things the stupid way (which wound up being "take the graphics card out, put in the old one so you can delete the default driver for the NVIDIA card, then put the new card back in and without a driver to fuck things up the hardware will work fine, presumably through the power of fucking magic"), I now have to get everything back the way it was when I started.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #96470 on: August 19, 2015, 11:57:07 pm »

Cracked.com has two main ways to view comments.  By highest votes, and by order.  For the longest time, I had no knowledge of the "highest votes" view, and suddenly there were all these high quality comments whenever I clicked it.

Now they've switched it so that the highest votes view is the default.  Which means any reasonably well worded comment that ends up high on the list tends to accumulate even more and more votes as it gets higher and higher on the list, and any new comment with no votes is effectively invisible.

There's been a big drop in comment quality as a result.  The comment section used to be a place to find interesting commentary on Cracked's already interesting articles, but now its barely a step above any other random website.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #96471 on: August 20, 2015, 12:25:58 am »

There's been a big drop in comment quality as a result.  The comment section used to be a place to find interesting commentary on Cracked's already interesting articles, but now its barely a step above any other random website.

Cracked has never had a good comment section - anything but unadulterated praise of the article (let alone commenting that the author got something blatantly wrong) gets shouted down with "it's a humor site, grow a funny bone, f*g!" or "nobody cares, move out of your mom's basement" or the like.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #96472 on: August 20, 2015, 12:28:10 am »

Cracked
Here we go again
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #96473 on: August 20, 2015, 12:29:05 am »

*anime power of love character voice* Guys, we don't need to fight!
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #96474 on: August 20, 2015, 12:29:30 am »

I got a (relatiely) new car recently and planned on just short of giving my old car away to a friend. (I'm selling it to him for the money I would get sending it to a salvage yard, so just a couple hundred.)

He needs a car almost desperately, this is not a town you can get around in very well relying on public transit and walking.  As a bonus this is the car he learned to drive in, because his family refused to help teach him how to drive, so I had to step up.  It's not a great car by any standards, but it's a fine first car, it's old, it won't be any great loss if it's wrecked, it has basic airbags, and while it has a number of major problems that would keep any other person from buying it, the problems are non vital.  They pretty much just amount to needing more fluids than most due to some slow leaks, a noisy fanbelt(when cold), complete lack of ac and radio, and having the gas mileage of an suv.  The car runs and I don't see that stopping in the near future, and it's engine is actually much younger than the car itself if the repair guys who had to replace it were telling the truth.

Unfortunately his family is trying very hard to convince him to not buy the car.  And it seems to be rubbing off on him.  He has become very hesitant regarding the additional time and money needed to transfer the title and actually register the car with the state.  And seems to want to back out now, from what I could get out of him his family seems to think I'm charging him too much.  When I'm pretty sure from past experience they simply don't want him driving, only one person in the family drives, and she's terrified of backing out of the driveway and has seem to have done everything she can to spread that fear to all of her children.

It's absurd to me that they could possibly use I'm charging too much as an excuse.  I'm charging him to buy the car the same amount of money as a local scrapyard would pay me to let them tow it out of the my driveway and take it apart for parts. Yet it is a functional car. The engine alone cost me $2000 2 years ago.  And I'm selling the whole thing for less than $200

Either I'm really overestimating the price of a set of wheels, or it's really sad what a mother would go through to keep any of her kids from being able to be fully mobile functional adults due to her own fear of driving.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2015, 12:43:04 am by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #96475 on: August 20, 2015, 12:53:44 am »

We lost the little guy. Didn't even make it until sunset. :(
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #96476 on: August 20, 2015, 11:46:13 am »

You might consider giving him the car for free with an agreement that if he keeps it for more'n a month or two he pays you the $200 or returns it. It'd be a good way to undercut his mother's complaint ("If it turns out not to be worth it just give me the car back"). I dunno, though.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96478 on: August 20, 2015, 11:59:51 am »

what do you expect the americans to do

destabilizing shit is all their army is good for

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96479 on: August 20, 2015, 12:16:00 pm »

Something was done ... we came in on the side of the insurgents remember, now we have this. Remember the stabilizing influence, regardless of what you think of them, is Syria's Assad regime. Which the West has been active in trying to undermine for the last 5 years, to be replaced by ... well we didn't plan that far ahead, we just handed out guns to anyone who looked promising to destroy the government, and look where that gets you. Explode all the known stuff because it's suboptimal and just hope something good emerges by itself, that was basically the entire strategy.

Of course, we're scrambling to claim we only backed the good insurgents and our military aid totally didn't help the bad insurgents. That just could not have happened. Full stop. That's the old excuse, it has been trotted out before such as in Afghanistan to draw an imaginary line between the Islamic Mujahedeen, who were the "good" insurgents and the "bad" insurgents - the proto-Taliban and proto-Al Qaeda forces and were who we - by magic - never gave any weapons or money to. Of course no such division was actually made in the 1980's. We armed and trained anyone who looked capable of murdering Russians. It's only later - when they applied these skills to murdering people who weren't Russian that we labelled some of the as baddies. If they'd just stuck to beheading Russians we'd still love Al Qaeda.

So the big problem now is that the West has been in a proxy war vs the government of Syria for over 5 years now, so if we send boots on the ground. Now some of the rebels who have flourished while we chip away at the government of Syria by proxy have proven to become too much. If we want to intervene, who exactly do we support? Just go in and blow everyone up, goverment and rebel sides included?
« Last Edit: August 20, 2015, 12:35:13 pm by Reelya »
Pages: 1 ... 6430 6431 [6432] 6433 6434 ... 8167