Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6419 6420 [6421] 6422 6423 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9441414 times)

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #96300 on: August 13, 2015, 05:04:55 am »

Where are you located? I could send you some if you want - it's fairly common around here.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #96301 on: August 13, 2015, 05:34:53 am »

I have to take a Philosophy course (Logic) first semester... my major course (Computer Science, Introduction To) conflicts with every other class I have, apparently. Sads were had :c

(here's the course description)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #96302 on: August 13, 2015, 06:04:50 am »

I have to take a Philosophy course (Logic) first semester... my major course (Computer Science, Introduction To) conflicts with every other class I have, apparently. Sads were had :c

(here's the course description)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Hey, if done properly, logic can be fairly interesting. Gets you to understand day-to-day logic better, too, and makes you question implicit assumptions.

I say that as a mathematician though, so YMMV.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #96303 on: August 13, 2015, 06:07:44 am »

I always wondered what the big deal about formal logic is, since logic seems pretty easy so long as you don't need to solve confusingly-worded puzzles. Maybe I should actually try to teach myself and see how much I will cry.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #96304 on: August 13, 2015, 06:41:50 am »

If you wonder what the big deal is, go look into model theory :P
The Bay12 postcard club

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #96305 on: August 13, 2015, 07:06:08 am »

If Ace Attorney has taught me anything, it's that basic logic is a sort of superpower that is to be praised and admired.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

karhell

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_A_MOLPY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #96307 on: August 13, 2015, 07:37:02 am »

Telemarketer decided to phone, asking after my dad. We get stupid amounts of phone calls and these guys had rang a few times already today.

So, I gave them a rather sarcastic answer of 'Unless you have a Ouija board, you're not contacting him.'

Annoyingly, although I feel justified, I also feel bad for losing my rag somewhat.
In my experience, telemarketers are impervious to sarcasm. Don't feel bad about that.
Also: they'd called several times in the same day and you only responded with mild sarcasm ? That's some pretty good self control. I'd have farted in the receiver and hung up, cackling hysterically, or some similar nonsense...

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #96308 on: August 13, 2015, 08:45:22 am »

For a few months last year I abused NSAIDS to deal with mild chronic ear pain (which is still happening even though I stopped taking the pills), and for about half a year I was lactose-intolerant while believing it was something else and eating a bunch of dairy.

Between those two things, my digestive systems are all kinds of fucked up.  Probably because of all this, I have a seriously bad case of Acid Reflux right now and I'm pretty sure my stomach acid came up into my throat.  Even with lozenges my throat hurts like hell, and I called out of work even though I'm on my first 90 days and I'm not even going to enjoy myself because all I can think about is the pain.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #96309 on: August 13, 2015, 09:41:57 am »

Here in Finland, one can ask one's teleoperator to set calls from withheld numbers to be automatically rejected. Can that be done in your country? Even if it can't, can't you just manually reject the calls by pressing that red handset icon?
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #96310 on: August 13, 2015, 10:33:09 am »

Isn't there something like a no-call list you can ask to be put on? Because those should be a thing.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #96311 on: August 13, 2015, 12:29:57 pm »

For a few months last year I abused NSAIDS to deal with mild chronic ear pain (which is still happening even though I stopped taking the pills), and for about half a year I was lactose-intolerant while believing it was something else and eating a bunch of dairy.

Between those two things, my digestive systems are all kinds of fucked up.  Probably because of all this, I have a seriously bad case of Acid Reflux right now and I'm pretty sure my stomach acid came up into my throat.  Even with lozenges my throat hurts like hell, and I called out of work even though I'm on my first 90 days and I'm not even going to enjoy myself because all I can think about is the pain.
The NSAID thing I've got to deal with a bit, too. Ranitidine or omeprazole are both available over the counter and do a lot to help if you take them regularly, in my experience. Standard calcium antacids can sometimes help in the short term, too. Won't do anything to help your throat immediately, though.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #96312 on: August 13, 2015, 01:19:40 pm »

The actual wording you want to use is "Take me off your call list."  At least if they're in the US.  It's kinda stupid but some people will ignore the inverse instruction because there is, technically, no do not call list.

Good luck and quick healing with the whole acid reflux thing, EnigmaticHat.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #96313 on: August 13, 2015, 04:37:17 pm »

I'm starting to feel really lonely again... It's sort of hard to describe, really. Two more weeks until school starts again... I'm strangely looking forward to it. At least I can try, then, and it helps with this feeling.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Worldmaster27

• Bay Watcher
  • Doop
    • View Profile
« Reply #96314 on: August 13, 2015, 06:22:08 pm »

sorry for being a downer, i'll try to stop being a bother and dragging everyone down.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2015, 03:25:22 pm by Worldmaster27 »
Pages: 1 ... 6419 6420 [6421] 6422 6423 ... 8167