Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6401 6402 [6403] 6404 6405 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9438429 times)

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #96030 on: August 03, 2015, 06:25:29 pm »

I don't see the correlation there at all. I'm worried about how much will fit on my drives and what I need to back up my videos and photos and audiojournals and stuff, and when I'll need to buy more flash drives or DVDs, and that is made needlessly difficult by software that constantly underreports drive space and file sizes. I don't see what a person's profession would have to do with it.
But it "underreports" everything by the same, uniform proportion. I don't see how that causes any problems.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #96031 on: August 03, 2015, 06:28:24 pm »

It doesn't under report. Manufacturers over report.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #96032 on: August 03, 2015, 07:05:57 pm »

It doesn't under report. Manufacturers over report.

No they don't. They use the prefixes as they are defined.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #96033 on: August 03, 2015, 07:17:25 pm »

Then if that's not what you believe then what are you complaining about? They report them as gigabites, which they are in the strictest sense, but most computers group bits into gibibytes.

There's no lost or misrepresented space. You're getting whatever gigabytes worth of data, just packaged into gibibytes.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #96034 on: August 03, 2015, 07:19:57 pm »

Spoiler: Mogwai, Y? (click to show/hide)
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Calidovi

• Bay Watcher
  • agnus dei
    • View Profile
« Reply #96035 on: August 03, 2015, 07:55:29 pm »

Euphoric Tower?

Do you mean my mom's attic?

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #96036 on: August 03, 2015, 08:14:36 pm »

I really wish I could say something on here without a hundred people joking around about it for no reason in particular. Life is not some big fucking joke.

And no, "unconditional love" doesn't exist. Love in general does not exist.
Err, IT? I think you're paying more attention to the endline of some posts rather than the point within their content at times. If in doubt, send by PM to certain members who you trust could give you advice on such [if you feel like you're unable to reach someone with the same capabilites offline there] :O

Also, maybe you may speak from experience--but love in general does exist [if one such notion does not exist; there must not be a term describing it. If the cynical notion of 'maybe they misunderstand that term', then one must also look at how they themselves describe it. Presence of mind and self-awareness helps a lot here.]

BTW, this relates somewhat to the subject of adoption. [...]
...I really wish we could get her to stop but so far she keeps going back to alcohol every time life gets a little hard.
Hum :<
I'll send you a PM on all that Meph.

Well wishes to your family and all others here. :)

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #96037 on: August 03, 2015, 08:16:35 pm »

Euphoric Tower?

Do you mean my mom's attic?
I might be more confused that you. :o

Mogwai being the nickname I gave to a traveling companion in DF adventure mode.  The adventurer settle in a for that was besieged, and migrated to my next fort mere months before the fort was lost.  Mogwai was left behind, not being dwarven.  And she died :'(
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #96038 on: August 03, 2015, 08:17:12 pm »

I never really got how alcohol is supposed to make things better. All it does for me is make myself more honest and my feelings more intense. Not exactly the best combo when I've done dumb stuff or am in a bad situation.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Calidovi

• Bay Watcher
  • agnus dei
    • View Profile
« Reply #96039 on: August 03, 2015, 08:17:29 pm »

Also, maybe you may speak from experience--but love in general does exist [if one such notion does not exist; there must not be a term describing it. If the cynical notion of 'maybe they misunderstand that term', then one must also look at how they themselves describe it. Presence of mind and self-awareness helps a lot here.]

Unconditional love does exist, just broaden your term of love.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #96040 on: August 03, 2015, 08:32:39 pm »

So if I understand right, a kilobyte is 1000 bytes and a gigabyte is 10^9 bytes.  Advertisers use those definitions, and the shorthand KB and GB.
But then Windows uses the same shorthand (KB and GB) to describe 1024 bytes and 1024 MB.

Yeah the manufacturer's are right...  They're just benefiting from a really fucked up false standard, which they don't follow.  So it's really not their fault.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Owlga

• Bay Watcher
  • Turbo times two
    • View Profile
« Reply #96041 on: August 03, 2015, 09:42:52 pm »

Well today seems to be the day a lot of issues come creeping back up on Gunner-chan... It's not going to be a pleasant night I think, but hopefully I can help her at least a little...
Quote from: Cupaketan
if u cant taek a cake, dont do a bake, in a kitchen
so u hav2 leve it ok bc its 2 hot 4u
Owlga is the chillest anime girl ever.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #96042 on: August 04, 2015, 12:39:42 am »

ffffffffffffffUCK the ever-forward march of technology. I installed Kali 5 times today before learning that apparently UEFI is a thing, and one that requires some specific workarounds for dual-booting. Hilariously, my usual strategy of randomly fucking about would have solved it after the first install, except that approximately 50% of the time on the default settings, booting the LiveUSB through the UEFI manager caused it to hang on a black screen, for no reason. So, naturally, when I didn't know what I was doing, I just assumed I wasn't supposed to do that and pursued other things. Apparently I was supposed to be insane, because I needed to do the same thing repeatedly and hope for different results.

Still, it's done. Tomorrow I need to install a shitload of libraries but the basics are all there and tested to work. And, in a hilarious twist, Linux handles the Ethernet card on this built-for-Windows-gaming motherboard better than Windows did. It detected and used it correctly with no need for a driver installation, which is good because if I'd needed to I'd have been proper fucked.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #96043 on: August 04, 2015, 01:48:49 am »

Nothing I do means anything.
I used to believe that.
I used to believe that nothing anybody ever did meant anything.
But now I've been informed that my kids will be going to school via boat because of rampant global warming.

So now I know that I can personally play a hand in the destruction of humanity.
I don't know if this is supposed to be some kind of joke or what, but if it is then please stop.
I really wish I could say something on here without a hundred people joking around about it for no reason in particular. Life is not some big fucking joke.
Joke? Probably.

If your original post was in reference to some real life event that made you feel impotent, you have my apology, along with some vague, basic sympathy to go along with that basic, vague statement.
If it was a philosophical musing (which is what it sounded like), can't help you if people jump on board.

Also, maybe you may speak from experience--but love in general does exist.
Unconditional love does exist, just broaden your term of love.
Infatuation is chemicals. Love is addiction.
Doesn't mean it doesn't exist.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2015, 06:06:53 am by Tack »
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #96044 on: August 04, 2015, 02:01:57 am »

I read gremlin as genitalia at first.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Pages: 1 ... 6401 6402 [6403] 6404 6405 ... 8167