Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6400 6401 [6402] 6403 6404 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9438187 times)

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #96015 on: August 03, 2015, 05:06:36 pm »

Wait, bytes aren't relevant to powers of two?
I thought that was a pretty important thing.

Only if you're looking at circuit design or machine language code, which isn't likely for the end user.

Since when was a gigabyte 1,000,000,000 bytes?

Since the prefix "giga-" was invented. a "giga-" anything is one billion of that thing.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2015, 05:08:57 pm by Bohandas »
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #96016 on: August 03, 2015, 05:10:23 pm »

Yeah but I meant specifically via circuit design. Like, for some reason I have this feeling as though every byte is represented by an infitesmally small piece of hardware, and you cannot arrange those by anything other than base two.

... Yes my computer knowledge is very minor.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #96017 on: August 03, 2015, 05:27:39 pm »

Nothing I do means anything.
I used to believe that.
I used to believe that nothing anybody ever did meant anything.
But now I've been informed that my kids will be going to school via boat because of rampant global warming.

So now I know that I can personally play a hand in the destruction of humanity.
I don't know if this is supposed to be some kind of joke or what, but if it is then please stop.

I really wish I could say something on here without a hundred people joking around about it for no reason in particular. Life is not some big fucking joke.

And no, "unconditional love" doesn't exist. Love in general does not exist.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #96018 on: August 03, 2015, 05:29:23 pm »

If life doesn't mean anything it might as well be a joke. I'd rather funny than just nothing.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #96019 on: August 03, 2015, 05:33:15 pm »

I think something similar - and more's the pity - but the thing is, I do think that if both members think that it is love, then why shouldn't it be termed so?

But yes, love is not eternal, love is not bashful, love is a romantic notion which only exists within the minds of some. But why does that matter? What I want is someone who I care for enough to call it love, even if such a thing does not exist.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #96020 on: August 03, 2015, 05:39:53 pm »

I really wish I could say something on here without a hundred people joking around about it for no reason in particular. Life is not some big fucking joke.
Life is what you make of it. Personally, I'm quite fond of jokes. Humour makes everything brighter. I think it's a fantastic gift to be able to laugh and smile, and I will continue to do that even if I piss people off for not taking things seriously.

And no, "unconditional love" doesn't exist. Love in general does not exist.
Truly unconditional love doesn't, no, but love certainly does. Regardless of what definition you use. Emotion, kindness, caring, devotion... all of these things are very real. They impact our lives and the world around us.
Of course, if you want to argue that our lives and the world aren't real or don't truly matter, I think you've gone off the deep end of nihilism. If, in the end, the universe is "just" a simulation, or the dream of a giant space butterfly, why does it matter? Are our experiences not real enough?
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #96021 on: August 03, 2015, 05:41:55 pm »

Life is too stupid to take seriously, honestly.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #96022 on: August 03, 2015, 05:51:03 pm »

If life doesn't mean anything it might as well be a joke. I'd rather funny than just nothing.
I'm going to ignore the fact that you're trying to justify someone making fun of what I say.

I did not say "Life does not mean anything". I said "Nothing I do means anything", as in I have no control whatsoever over my situation, and no matter hard I try to un-fuck my life as well and future it still remains just as fucked as it was before. For an entire year almost everything I've done has been attempting to so that, and all it's been is wasted effort. That is not fucking funny.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #96023 on: August 03, 2015, 05:51:09 pm »

Thanks, everyone. I appreciate the kind words and thoughts. :)
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96024 on: August 03, 2015, 05:58:10 pm »

Yeah but I meant specifically via circuit design. Like, for some reason I have this feeling as though every byte is represented by an infitesmally small piece of hardware, and you cannot arrange those by anything other than base two.

... Yes my computer knowledge is very minor.

Yes, but the end user doesn't need to know about that. The end user just needs to know how much space they have left on the drive
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #96025 on: August 03, 2015, 05:59:02 pm »

Which you are being told. It's not fucking lying to you dude.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96026 on: August 03, 2015, 06:03:22 pm »

It's being misleading by deliberately misusing SI prefixes.

And the fact that the inner workings use binary is irrelevant; the interface could equally easily be in base 2, base 10, or base 23 (in fact, the interface is written in decimal digits anyway, which makes it doubly unnecessary to worry about powers of two)
What is TPP
----------------------
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #96027 on: August 03, 2015, 06:07:06 pm »

I doubt a difference of three to seven percent is all that relevant to an end user who isn't a computer engineer anyway.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96028 on: August 03, 2015, 06:12:57 pm »

I doubt a difference of three to seven percent is all that relevant to an end user who isn't a computer engineer anyway.

I don't see the correlation there at all. I'm worried about how much will fit on my drives and what I need to back up my videos and photos and audiojournals and stuff, and when I'll need to buy more flash drives or DVDs, and that is made needlessly difficult by software that constantly underreports drive space and file sizes. I don't see what a person's profession would have to do with it.
What is TPP
----------------------
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Worldmaster27

• Bay Watcher
  • Doop
    • View Profile
« Reply #96029 on: August 03, 2015, 06:24:00 pm »

I'm going to ignore the fact that you're trying to justify someone making fun of what I say.

I did not say "Life does not mean anything". I said "Nothing I do means anything", as in I have no control whatsoever over my situation, and no matter hard I try to un-fuck my life as well and future it still remains just as fucked as it was before. For an entire year almost everything I've done has been attempting to so that, and all it's been is wasted effort. That is not fucking funny.
It may seem like wasted effort, to have worked for a year and gotten nothing in return yet. However. A year is a fairly short amount of time, even if it seems to have lasted very long for you. This is just taking longer than one year to get better. It isn't immediate, unfortunately, but eventually you will see things start to improve. Give it more time, and keep up the effort. It matters, what you are doing. You will be glad some day in the future, and your actions are having an impact however small and seemingly invisible.
Pages: 1 ... 6400 6401 [6402] 6403 6404 ... 8167