Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6397 6398 [6399] 6400 6401 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9440014 times)

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #95970 on: August 02, 2015, 08:55:47 pm »

I wouldn't doubt if it was a bunch of teenagers. Its basically priority #1 for american teenagers to wreck everything they think they can get away with. You can't be a cool kid unless you break all the rules while stoned.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2015, 08:57:43 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #95971 on: August 02, 2015, 08:57:22 pm »

#MetalLivesMatter

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #95972 on: August 02, 2015, 08:58:35 pm »

Well, the second prototype should have machine guns then.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #95973 on: August 02, 2015, 08:59:47 pm »

I didn't know you could do machine learning on video cards.
Lot of neural net implementations amount to a fuckload of vector arithmetic, and GPUs do that very efficiently compared to CPUs.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #95974 on: August 02, 2015, 09:02:06 pm »

#Number5 #MetalLivesMatter
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #95975 on: August 02, 2015, 09:02:11 pm »

I wouldn't doubt if it was a bunch of teenagers. Its basically priority #1 for american teenagers to wreck everything they think they can get away with. You can't be a cool kid unless you break all the rules while stoned.
tbh if it went to Asia, especially around SEA, then it'd probably be dismantled and melted down for the metal parts.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #95976 on: August 02, 2015, 11:33:29 pm »

Nothing I do means anything.
I used to believe that.
I used to believe that nothing anybody ever did meant anything.
But now I've been informed that my kids will be going to school via boat because of rampant global warming.

So now I know that I can personally play a hand in the destruction of humanity.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #95977 on: August 02, 2015, 11:39:46 pm »

My very own point of view is screwed up silly.

Can't ever look at the world without a tinge of tragedy, despair, hopelessness and auto-confirming biases. I can still find happiness in this "imperfect" world, but I'm ultimately too out of it to be of any optimistic help.

Everyone needs you for some reason. If you fulfill said reason, they stop being relevant to you, and likewise you to them.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #95978 on: August 02, 2015, 11:46:40 pm »

Everyone needs you for some reason. If you fulfill said reason, they stop being relevant to you, and likewise you to them.
Methinks this plays a big role with that PoV o_o
It's incomplete...and stops far short of the intent of people [that, or you've been living in a rough neighborhood with inefficiency and such :-\]
That ain't how everyone is though. Take that note as hope. :)

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95979 on: August 02, 2015, 11:49:49 pm »

Exactly. A person can never become redundant to another person because they carry the promise of being useful for another thing later.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #95980 on: August 03, 2015, 12:00:02 am »

Exactly. A person can never become redundant to another person because they carry the promise of being useful for another thing later.

You'd say that, but that implies said person wasn't using you in the end. In my case that was definitely true at least.

I'm more disappointed in myself for letting that mess happen at this point, though i'm over it. ... Besides the spite. That's there still.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95981 on: August 03, 2015, 12:03:06 am »

*shrug*. I consider myself as using all of my friends, and vice versa. That's company.
On the note of spite however, I'm pretty sure we've had a falling out in the past at least as big as this. Shappens. Life continues, usually.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #95982 on: August 03, 2015, 12:06:48 am »

I'm not entirely sure hope helps, since Tack's observation quite literally supports my own point of view in my own biased ways.

In a perfect, contractual world, you stop being relevant the moment you execute your obligations. But, people know they can use you for something else. Perhaps some emotional support? Perhaps, a different "contract", or as would be more commonly known to people, favors and tasks. They can't quite throw you away yet.

They stop relying on you provided you fulfill your purpose of friendship/labor/whatever, or when they find a better substitute.

As for intent... That's 'nother whole can of worms.

There is no such thing as unconditional love.

By that extension, my biases include the concept of true love in it. People tend to fall in love because you're who you are, in that very second. Given that you change for a bit, they might try to nudge you back into that path. "Don't change. Don't ever change."

But are you really in love with that person? Or are you just simply in love with the memory of that person, or who they once were? It's hard to say. Divorce statistics say that commitment is a major issue (73%), also Unrealistic Expectations (43%). My biases tell me that part of said unrealistic expectations involve how the person actually lives their lives beyond just dating and etc. This changes your point of view, makes you question your love for said person, and bring up divorce when it comes to it.

Considering my parents just up and left me (and my brothers) alone due to matters of finance, my view is really screwed.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #95983 on: August 03, 2015, 12:11:43 am »

That is a bleak view indeed :c

I'd very much disagree, though life has probably been kinder to me than some others.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95984 on: August 03, 2015, 12:32:58 am »

They stop relying on you provided you fulfill your purpose of friendship/labor/whatever, or when they find a better substitute.

Eh. Most people need more love than one person has the energy to give. That's why we have multiple friends. Especially if you're after a specific style of something. For instance, my friends don't exactly come to me for sympathy, they come to me for humor. Strangely enough, humans are all unique butterflies so even if there was another -sympathy +humor friend they had, they wouldn't have my unique style of personality. That's the thing you tend to miss when bridges are burnt.

As for change and divorce and whatnot, I'd disagree. Everyone changes, everyone else notices it and usually goes along with it. It's all about knowing the difference between positive and negative change, yo.
Pages: 1 ... 6397 6398 [6399] 6400 6401 ... 8167