Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6371 6372 [6373] 6374 6375 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9434743 times)

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #95580 on: July 27, 2015, 11:36:01 am »

Hate not being able to sleep.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #95581 on: July 27, 2015, 11:37:52 am »

What about the other problems MetalSlime listed? Assuming that computing speed is not a problem - i.e. we've got a hypothetical computronium processor that is infinitely powerful - is creating something that will be, as the article states, "thinking on a level that we can't possibly comprehend" even theoretically feasible, or is it just a case of people trying to promote their own line of work too hard?
Maybe? Assuming we built the functioning AI that's human level intelligence then we'd probably have some understanding of how it works and can comprehend it. Unless we accidentally build it, in which case we'd have other worries. If the human-level AI we built learns to build on itself by rewriting or reprogramming itself, assuming it would be capable of such learning and not accidentally destroying itself with its own tinkering, then maybe it could become incomprehensible in how it worked, because the AI would've changed much of the programming that the humans set up. Like if a human theoretically rewired their brain so that neuroscientists can't tell what neurons do what anymore.

That "Intelligence Explosion" that MSH mentioned as a problem of developing AI is the theoretical event I just described, with the AI learning to improve itself by rewriting and reconfiguring itself to constantly improve its own abilities and capabilities for learning. So theoretically it could be learning infinitely and improving infinitely, assuming it meets the hardware requirements for that. With the theoretical computronium of infinite power it could do that, but real life doesn't work like that and hardware will serve as a limitation. This "Intelligence Explosion" isn't really a "problem" in the way of developing human-level AI, it's a potential result of developing human-level AI. Which humans would probably want to be prepared for.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #95582 on: July 27, 2015, 11:46:50 am »

Come to Northern Ireland. I regularly say aye in my speech, though typically leave it out of my writing.
I say aye in my speech, and my dialect just about never really shows itself. It's not that weird.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #95583 on: July 27, 2015, 11:52:01 am »

Hehe. Here, the more country you are, the more you say aye.

And yes, some people say aye regardless of place, but it's not exactly common everywhere.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #95584 on: July 27, 2015, 11:56:25 am »

And yes, some people say aye regardless of place, but it's not exactly common everywhere.
Quote from: Wikiped
The word "aye" is a frequent synonym for "yes", particularly in Scotland, Ireland and northern England
Pretty much everywhere but Wales and the south. And probably areas of some other English-speaking countries too but I don't know those. And from the same page:
In December 1993, a witness in a Scottish court who had answered "aye" to confirm he was the person summoned was told by the Sheriff that he must answer either "yes" or "no". When his name was read again and he was asked to confirm it, he answered "aye" again, and was imprisoned for 90 minutes for contempt of court. On his release he said "I genuinely thought I was answering him."
Top kek.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #95585 on: July 27, 2015, 12:01:20 pm »

Quote from: Wikiped
The word "aye" is a frequent synonym for "yes", particularly in Scotland, Ireland and northern England
Pretty much everywhere but Wales and the south. And probably areas of some other English-speaking countries too but I don't know those. And from the same page:

Yes, but Facekillz058 is from Vermont.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #95586 on: July 27, 2015, 06:34:26 pm »

Wanna do bunches of forum game stuff.
Phone unsuitable for text dump.
Must wait hours for next computer availability.

i wouldn't mind being ridden tbh
You're a bear? I thought you were skinny Canadian.
Bearish bear.

You haven't seen my photo in the threadshare?
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #95587 on: July 27, 2015, 06:56:46 pm »

UGH, today i got hit by that all too familiar feeling of not going anywhere in life. It's like listening to a good song on repeat; it's great for a while, but ultimately it doesn't go anywhere or get better, because it's the same song over and over. It's pretty much the same as how i spend my days at the moment. I get very anxious about stepping out of my comfort zone, but at the same time, i also want to try new things. In fact, i HAVE to try out new things. Suffice to say, these violently opposite concepts clash in my head, big time. Usually, anxiety wins, because it's a big and evil monster whereas the "i want to try new things" is an excited young man.

I say "usually" here, because anxiety is the kind of monster that can only tear into you if you let yourself get intimidated by it. This does allow me some victories, but alas, there is no "don't be intimidated by the hungry lion in front of you" switch to be easily flipped.
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page
Quote from: Girlinhat
It may be worthwhile to have the babies fall into ring of fortifications or windows, to prevent anyone from catching and saving them.
[01:27] <Octomobile> MMM THATS GOOD FIST BUTTER

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #95588 on: July 27, 2015, 07:39:22 pm »

Dear forum, I am incredibly sad today because I am having an existential crisis after reading up on AI. Long story short, by about 2060 we will have created a cybernetic capital-G God that will either exterminate us or turn us into immortal omnipotent fellow capital-G Gods a-la Therians from AT-43 that will spend the rest of eternity in a circular and stagnant existence committing acts of horrifying depravity to alleviate the intolerable boredom of their incalculably decadent lives free of any hardships or challenges whatsoever.

That means that, in either case, we quite literally have no future as the species that we are right now. It's tragic.
You really think so?  I think you're ignoring MANY possible cases.  Like the AI preserving humanity, or humans not being gods or 'G'ods because we're still human.
Or optimists being too optimistic.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #95589 on: July 27, 2015, 07:41:56 pm »

by about 2060 we will have created a cybernetic capital-G God
You know how many people used that word to describe the world ending in 2012?
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Calidovi

• Bay Watcher
  • agnus dei
    • View Profile
« Reply #95590 on: July 27, 2015, 07:46:49 pm »

by about 2060 we will have created a cybernetic capital-G God
You know how many people used that word to describe the world ending in 2012?

Mayan calendar's out, what's the next apocalypse trend?

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #95591 on: July 27, 2015, 07:51:49 pm »

Not a decent comparison. The AI prediction, for most scientists and experts, isn't a matter of if, but of when, while the mayan calendar thing was mostly a combination of seasonal fearmongering + excessive dan brownism.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Calidovi

• Bay Watcher
  • agnus dei
    • View Profile
« Reply #95592 on: July 27, 2015, 07:56:06 pm »

Not a decent comparison. The AI prediction, for most scientists and experts, isn't a matter of if, but of when, while the mayan calendar thing was mostly a combination of seasonal fearmongering + excessive dan brownism.

I'll admit that was a shoddy comparison, but when is rather far away. Technology, as quickly as it advances now, is still maturing into robotics. Maybe in a while we'll have that lovely apocalypse all those edgy 14-year-old Youtube commenters have been dreaming about, but speculation at this early point doesn't lead to much other than fear.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95593 on: July 27, 2015, 08:08:34 pm »

Bringing this back to more worldly, personal problems...

Argh, my headphones broke.
They've lasted me a surprisingly long time, especially given that they were like $10, but... why do they have to give up on me now? I've got no money to buy new ones at the moment and I have a flight today. There's bound to be a bunch of screaming children in the cabin with me having no way of blocking out their racket, I just know it. :'(
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #95594 on: July 27, 2015, 08:23:32 pm »

Bringing this back to more worldly, personal problems...

Argh, my headphones broke.
They've lasted me a surprisingly long time, especially given that they were like $10, but... why do they have to give up on me now? I've got no money to buy new ones at the moment and I have a flight today. There's bound to be a bunch of screaming children in the cabin with me having no way of blocking out their racket, I just know it. :'(
How broke are they?  I had a cheapish pair crack once and duct-tape pretty much fixed the problem.  Granted, the break was in an adjusty fiddly bit, but it might work.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.
Pages: 1 ... 6371 6372 [6373] 6374 6375 ... 8167