Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6357 6358 [6359] 6360 6361 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9428774 times)

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #95370 on: July 20, 2015, 11:08:11 pm »

My friend was grossly misdiagnosed for a medical issue (which involves genitalia so does not need to be described here) and ended up in the ER.  She attempted to file a complaint and was not only treated rudely, but apparently according to online records the doctor magically prescribed her a treatment for the actual problem even though said doctor did not diagnose her for that problem.  Now she's planning on sueing the doctor, for which she will certainly need a lawyer working pro bono (and I'm not sure she would even be able to get that).
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #95371 on: July 20, 2015, 11:13:49 pm »

(Finally) decided to read Ender's Game and realized I didn't like it. The characters, while not particularly interesting, played their role of backed up a poorly-thought plot with solid execution. I'm almost inclined to say that the book is overrated, but I don't want to make myself feel like an insecure contrarian. The mental turmoil, though not as strong as what many of you are going through, is real.
Honestly I liked Ender's Shadow quite a bit more than Ender's Game (and really the best part of both of them was the game parts IMO, the other things tended to get a strange for me at times).
Yeah.  It gets kinda weird as you go along.  Like, VERY weird.  Not WTF-thread level weird.  Mostly.  But close.  The battles are interesting though.

Also, wasn't the guy who wrote it some kind of nazi or something?
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95372 on: July 20, 2015, 11:28:25 pm »

What would that have to do with the content/quality of the book? ???
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95373 on: July 20, 2015, 11:29:42 pm »

(Finally) decided to read Ender's Game and realized I didn't like it. The characters, while not particularly interesting, played their role of backed up a poorly-thought plot with solid execution. I'm almost inclined to say that the book is overrated, but I don't want to make myself feel like an insecure contrarian. The mental turmoil, though not as strong as what many of you are going through, is real.
Honestly I liked Ender's Shadow quite a bit more than Ender's Game (and really the best part of both of them was the game parts IMO, the other things tended to get a strange for me at times).
Yeah.  It gets kinda weird as you go along.  Like, VERY weird.  Not WTF-thread level weird.  Mostly.  But close.  The battles are interesting though.

I'm pretty sure that he's Mormon and not a Nazi. :P Also, what Yoink said.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #95374 on: July 20, 2015, 11:34:30 pm »

Yeah, Orson Scott Card is a raving bigot. Which, ironically, clashes with Ender's Game, where the terrible alien foe that Ender genocided with Dr. Device was peaceful and trying to communicate with them, which is basically the opposite of xenophobia. Same with Lovecraft, where his characters empathize with sentient starfish-headed things, declaring them "Just men" while the author himself is quite xenophobic to their own species.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95375 on: July 20, 2015, 11:43:53 pm »

He does have some odd ideas. It doesn't show up very often in his books, though.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #95376 on: July 20, 2015, 11:46:55 pm »

Yeah, Orson Scott Card is a raving bigot. Which, ironically, clashes with Ender's Game, where the terrible alien foe that Ender genocided with Dr. Device was peaceful and trying to communicate with them, which is basically the opposite of xenophobia. Same with Lovecraft, where his characters empathize with sentient starfish-headed things, declaring them "Just men" while the author himself is quite xenophobic to their own species.

I'm glad there's someone else out there who thinks that Lovecraft's fiction was significantly less racist than Lovecraft himself. I got into quite a contentions argument over that matter recently on another forum.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #95377 on: July 21, 2015, 12:34:12 am »

Ender's Game wasn't the weird one.

The later sequels, those are the weird ones.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #95378 on: July 21, 2015, 12:35:42 am »

I don't think Card really went bad until Empire, which is a shame as I think the intended premise is very interesting.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #95379 on: July 21, 2015, 03:47:50 am »

I'm becoming crazy with the dozens of internship requirements piling up.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #95380 on: July 21, 2015, 08:51:58 am »

I'm sad because my project will be finished today. It has been going on for 14 days on my website... I'm so sad, yet proud that I'm done with it! I'm finally doing the final team for my website, "Randomized Elements Reaction!" It's so sad... What can I do now?

Also, I have a picture for the final team that's gonna be made. I make a randomized picture for every team I make. This is going to be the last picture!

Do you mean you drew these?  Because they're really cool!  I reverse-image-searched and downloaded the whole list from imgur yesterday.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Calidovi

• Bay Watcher
  • agnus dei
    • View Profile
« Reply #95381 on: July 21, 2015, 08:53:57 am »

I'm sad because my project will be finished today. It has been going on for 14 days on my website... I'm so sad, yet proud that I'm done with it! I'm finally doing the final team for my website, "Randomized Elements Reaction!" It's so sad... What can I do now?

Also, I have a picture for the final team that's gonna be made. I make a randomized picture for every team I make. This is going to be the last picture!

Do you mean you drew these?  Because they're really cool!  I reverse-image-searched and downloaded the whole list from imgur yesterday.

Rubidium must have some talent, then. Hopefully his drawing of rubidium isn't a self-insert  ;).

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95382 on: July 21, 2015, 09:01:34 am »

I'm glad there's someone else out there who thinks that Lovecraft's fiction was significantly less racist than Lovecraft himself. I got into quite a contentions argument over that matter recently on another forum.

"He was a loathsome, gorilla-like thing, with abnormally long arms which I could not help calling fore legs, and a face that conjured up thoughts of unspeakable congo secrets and tom-tom poundings under an eerie moon. He must have looked worse in life-but the world holds many ugly things."

I'm gunna go with whoever you were arguing with on this one.

Edit: Unless Lovecraft was like, really really really supremely racist, in which case I guess his stories could just be really really really racist, and thus less racist them him. That would make sense I guess.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2015, 09:04:13 am by Criptfeind »

Calidovi

• Bay Watcher
  • agnus dei
    • View Profile
« Reply #95383 on: July 21, 2015, 09:33:51 am »

unspeakable Congo secrets

This may be my favorite line from any book.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #95384 on: July 21, 2015, 10:43:18 am »

I never have enough time to sit down and update Descent.

hhhhhh

* Cinder wilts
Don't worry, I'm praying to the Miraculous Post God for you.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.
Pages: 1 ... 6357 6358 [6359] 6360 6361 ... 8167