Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6346 6347 [6348] 6349 6350 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9429844 times)

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #95205 on: July 16, 2015, 01:02:40 am »

Quote from: Truean
Glad nobody will believe her ideas because they won't last in this generation onwards. :v
How come?
Internet mainly. Lets the non-assholes fart with greater collective volume than the assholes for once, to paraphrase someone's sig.
Wouldn't that make her ideas more widely accepted? ???
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #95206 on: July 16, 2015, 01:03:39 am »

Quote from: Truean
Glad nobody will believe her ideas because they won't last in this generation onwards. :v
How come?

The Social Justice Warriors. Once fighting with tags and blog posts, now they fight with gun and blade. In a single night of blood, death and macroaggression, the world will be purged of all those who would oppress, harass or malign.
In case the sarcasm font didn't make it obvious, the above is completely facetious and does not reflect my beliefs at all. Violence does sort of solve some problems, but not efficaciously.

On a more serious note, probably changing consensus. Essentially, once everyone declares something[Transphobia being the relevent issue here] silly, then it will become the new norm and deviation from it will be treated the same way as before. As a youngun ridinng the wave of the newerish generation, the majority of people I know well IRL are GOLBAT and no one I know OF has any problem with it[Barring one douchebag who is basically ostracized for that and other unrelated dickery, but this is like 1% or less of the sample population here]. Of course, this sample may be biased in that a fair amount of these people go to or have gone to Catholic schools in the past, which is the surest way I know of to get someone to be an atheist, thus mostly eliminating bias on that level. Plus Canadia is a fair bit more liberal on that front than the U.S, but the point here is that, with little rational reason behind it, trans and/or homo phobia seems to be dying out, or at least pushed out of its position of legitimacy. Hopefully, in a generation or three, it won't be a problem. Other major problems popping up in that time isn't so much a possibility as an inevitability, but its still sort of comforting to know.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #95207 on: July 16, 2015, 01:09:58 am »

[...] Of course, this sample may be biased in that a fair amount of these people go to or have gone to Catholic schools in the past[...]
Sorry for nitpicking here x_x But poking at the notion of connection religious schools to phobia/misunderstanding humanity aspects: It depends on how the understanding comes about. My country is...filled with Catholic schools [Hello Philippines ._.], and we're pretty open to trans/and everything else here :) Priests work as theologians. Said priests are at the forefront of supporting such people. Counseling is also included to support them.
It's easily visible within the classrooms and other such places [obviously no PDAs], but main thing is its [generally] OK here. Though there's still the stigma and discrimination in many places [yeah, Gay people belong in parlors because Beauty >_>], there's a ton of progress because of...the attitude on How things are being done. There's just that negative label which is falling off its stickiness, but it still sticks in a way.

Also what I meant by 'nobody will believe her' is because this broaches the common aspect of Conformity. People have a better viewpoint than binary [HATE/NOT HATE] in regards to that, but most--it seems in some areas--prefer to default to that kind of binary thinking because 'that's how everyone else around me behaves'. Throwing in a lot of other factors here which would revolve around this kind of thinking--it also deals with reinforcement and support; some people have no idea why this is, so there's a default to dislike because 'this is what other authoritarian figures/older people say'!

I could share the many methods on how we believe information over other sources but that'll just derail this x_x

Point being: That still makes me sad, but I just wanted to note that it will not last. I'll lay down a disclaimer here that I'm Not speaking for the entirety of attitude--I am merely speaking about the procedure of attitude; the general tendency is that when people will something to change, it will with effort. When people support something, it'll remain--as seen by the prevalence of phobias when cut down to its base concepts: Supporting the fear with a myriad # of ideas.

Internet mainly. Lets the non-assholes fart with greater collective volume than the assholes for once, to paraphrase someone's sig.
... what internet is this?

Yeah, seriously. If there's some kind of hidden section of the internet (besides the one that's full of illegal things) where everyone is calm and collected I might wanna get in on that.
@_@
Y'all need more exposure. :P
« Last Edit: July 16, 2015, 01:14:09 am by Tiruin »

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #95208 on: July 16, 2015, 01:13:28 am »

Then there's NZ, where we have about nine Catholics and everyone says "it's kinda weird but I don't really care".
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #95209 on: July 16, 2015, 01:19:59 am »

well to be fair, Catholics are kinda weird.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #95210 on: July 16, 2015, 01:50:12 am »

well to be fair, Catholics are kinda weird.
Love you too, Japa. :P

...I'm missing a joke here aren't I ._.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #95211 on: July 16, 2015, 02:00:10 am »

Yes, you are.

See -v

Then there's NZ, where we have about nine Catholics and everyone says "it's kinda weird but I don't really care".

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #95212 on: July 16, 2015, 03:18:30 am »

South African church politics.

I'm probably unusually sensitive to it at the moment because the wife of a prominent anti-apartheid minister just died, and it's a huge political thing. More importantly, it's a huge political thing that affects me because she was a member of my mother's church and now there are all these Presiding Bishops and Americans and whatnot flying in. It's not just a funeral and an actual memorial, by the minister; no, it's this big deal.

I feel terrible for all her actual friends and family.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #95213 on: July 16, 2015, 08:40:04 am »

« Last Edit: July 16, 2015, 01:40:38 pm by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #95214 on: July 16, 2015, 08:48:01 am »

It's the bystander effect all over again.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #95215 on: July 16, 2015, 08:48:05 am »

[He] was arrested and charged with a fourth-degree misdemeanor for entering what police said was a crime scene, not for taking the video or trying to sell it to news organizations after posting it to Facebook.

What the flying fuck.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #95216 on: July 16, 2015, 08:50:24 am »

The actual horrible things he did don't have laws for them, so they had to charge him for trespass.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #95217 on: July 16, 2015, 09:00:32 am »

The actual horrible things he did don't have laws for them, so they had to charge him for trespass.
They do here. You can get fines, etc. for neglecting to help someone injured when you conceivably could have.
You don't see it happen often (because obviously most people don't know enough about first aid to do much more than stand around and piss themselves while waiting for an ambulance to show up) but this is one of those situations where that guy would go down hard.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

karhell

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_A_MOLPY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #95218 on: July 16, 2015, 09:32:24 am »

They do here. You can get fines, etc. for neglecting to help someone injured when you conceivably could have.
You don't see it happen often (because obviously most people don't know enough about first aid to do much more than stand around and piss themselves while waiting for an ambulance to show up) but this is one of those situations where that guy would go down hard.
Same here. Non-assistance to person in danger is a pretty serious offence.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #95219 on: July 16, 2015, 09:48:54 am »

Same here. Non-assistance to person in danger is a pretty serious offence.

It's very easy to get sued or even prosecuted when rendering assistance in Ohio if you're not "properly" trained (such as having a lapsed certification, or knowing the basics of first aid but never getting certified) or the person you assisted makes accusations of misconduct (such as groping the person you're helping). Mandating assistance would put people into a damned-if-you-do damned-if- you-don't scenario. There's laws intended to protect would-be rescuers, but they're ineffective enough to be scary.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.
Pages: 1 ... 6346 6347 [6348] 6349 6350 ... 8167