Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6304 6305 [6306] 6307 6308 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9454991 times)

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #94575 on: June 24, 2015, 11:32:19 am »

Fuck it, I'm out of this thread too. I'll be in the election threads, until this shitstorm creeps into those as well, at which point I'll climb in the escape pod and WHHHHHHHhhhhheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee             fuck all y'all we out

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #94576 on: June 24, 2015, 11:40:07 am »

Better?
...I think you're taking his idea as if he means the generality of everyone >.< He's addressing nobody in particular.

But I think that's enough of the derail. Anything else may be continued in PMs. :-\ Let the atmosphere clear, and emotions run chill.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #94577 on: June 24, 2015, 11:47:27 am »

...I think you're taking his idea as if he means the generality of everyone >.< He's addressing nobody in particular.
I don't really see the difference between making a statement about people in general and about nobody in particular. If there weren't a non-specific audience to address, why not address them by name?
But fine I'll stop. It's not like I'm the one who's going to lose their cool over it anyway.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #94578 on: June 24, 2015, 11:51:22 am »

Grak- as far as I know (could be my ego), he was talking specifically about me, and I'm not offended.
It's half-true, half-misunderstanding, and I'd never get angry at someone for telling me my flaws.

Edit; OK I think it was my ego.

So, yeah, I'm out. I'll see you guys next month, when hopefully I've calmed down, because right now being part of this community is not something I'm proud of.
Ugh. My rebuttal being stolen by them leaving.
I had a bunch of nice and consolatory things to say, too.

But for everyone else, basically triggers are my trigger, and I act irrationally when people ask/tell me not to discuss certain topics. So I'm sorry about that. It's not likely to change soon, so I hope you can all bear with me.

As for poopworld dynamics:
My motto for life is "If I do it, there's got to be at least one other person in the world who does it, which means there's two more than if I didn't".
It's a weird sentiment, but it basically means 'I am not normally a guy who picks up random litter. If I pick up random litter, how many other people in the world might've come to the same conclusion and done the same activity?"
I don't exactly know how that works out via quantum, but I like to feel that my actions have more impact on the world than 1/7,000,000, so I guess it's a helpful delusion.
Which also makes me feel better about the world and the people in it.
Sort of a "do unto others" thing I guess.

So yes, I'm doing my part- let's lighten this topic up!
« Last Edit: June 24, 2015, 12:14:09 pm by Tack »
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #94579 on: June 24, 2015, 11:52:38 am »

Bauglir--

You dont need to alter your behavior, and I would prefer that you not.  That goes against the very nature of my earlier response. I want you to be who you are, as I already accept you that way. Likewise, I am not going to alter my behavior for you or anyone else here, because I expect to be accepted for who I am.

I have already come to terms with the fact that the world I live in is full of people with raging hormones that are after one thing or another. I make a terrible grimmace every time I see some horribly hypersexualized advert on TV, but there is shit little I can do about it-- while I would prefer that advertisers be more tasteful, I would never dream of imposing my "stilted" sexual views on other people (which is what I would be doing if I went all SJW on the matter.) I have seen and read reports of what happens when people who do have libidos have them repressed. It isn't pretty. I would rather not cause that in other people. Not being squicked out by dirty adverts is not worth seeing people flip the hell out and go batshit and do terrible things.

It's a life lesson I have learned long ago-- The world does not exist to please me, other people do not exist for my gratification, and vise-verse. Things are much better when we dont hide ourselves behind masks, false pretenses, aires, and preconceptions. Be genuine. It is what I look for in people that I decide I like. You can be a raging douchebag, and as long as you are not complete scummy evil, I can come to like you, as long as you are genuine about yourself, your dealings with your self, and your dealings with others.

Superficial platitudes are not what I am looking for. I hate them. Using them does not make the world better; it only hides what is festering underneath.  What makes the world better, is actual understanding of one another.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #94580 on: June 24, 2015, 12:07:31 pm »

... acting in a way to make people more comfortable is not "superficial platitudes" -- it's a basic display of understanding, and accepting of how people are. But... whatever. It's pretty obvious you care about ideological purity more than actual consequences, and are willing to tank the environment around you to defend them. So be it. Understanding achieved.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94581 on: June 24, 2015, 12:15:27 pm »

So guys, really happy to know we're all on the same page here... But he's gone.
Let's talk about Jurassic World and Fury Road and just what a great year it has been for movies this year y'know?

Edit: Nnngh my hypocrisy knows few bounds.
@frumple: I would love some more depth about this "Ideological Purity" vs "Actual consequences" you're talking about. I'm probably biased, but it looked to me like Wierd spoke on how he views the world and you hit him with a passive-aggressive dig at those worldviews.
Tensions are high. I'd like to know what You think, not what you think about what Others think.

@Wierd. I know. It's so sad that sex sells. I mean it clearly works, but it seems equal parts demeaning and cheap to me- regardless of the squick you must feel. I guess be thankful you're immune.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2015, 12:27:24 pm by Tack »
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Worldmaster27

• Bay Watcher
  • Doop
    • View Profile
« Reply #94582 on: June 24, 2015, 12:16:07 pm »

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #94583 on: June 24, 2015, 12:18:23 pm »

@Frumple
It's really not "basic".  It's difficult to discuss certain issues without making people feel uncomfortable.  Particularly when you disagree with them, apparently.  Sometimes it seems impossible.

Of course we should try to be compassionate, but sometimes I feel like people are walking into a paintball match without any protection and demanding that everyone stop playing.

Clarification:  The emotion threads represent the parking lots.  Don't play paintball in parking lots.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2015, 12:23:29 pm by Rolan7 »
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94584 on: June 24, 2015, 12:19:40 pm »

No-- It is superficial platitude, by raw definition.  It is superficial, because it is only at the surface-- not what the person really feels or believes. It is a platitude, because it is intended to make somebody feel better.

I dont get off on making people feel bad. That is a genuine statement. However, if I inadvertently piss somebody off, I would like to know why and how it pissed them off. It helps me understand them better.

You seem to be misunderstanding me here.  I wont change my core being for somebody, or act in a way contrary to my core being, but I am willing to refrain from using certain language or from discussing certain subjects if it genuinely distresses somebody. Personally, I feel that doing so is a platitude, but if the person GENUINELY NEEDS that platitude, I will indulge them, but only when I know they need it. I dont reach for the fake front as the first option, and I prefer not to deal with people that need such fronts.

(EG, if somebody has had PTSD, and it makes them genuinely flip out to discuss war, I wont discuss war with that person. The restriction makes me uncomfortable, and I would prefer speaking with other people without the issue. I lament that the person has PTSD, and cannot discuss the subject without freaking out, and I would not wish to cause the person to freak out if they are in earshot, so if they are, I wont discuss the topic. That does not mean I am going to pretend that everyone has PTSD though-- I am not going to pretend that war isnt a horrible bloody mess, and that the world is some happy place filled with warm fuzzies, and I am not going to tell the person with PTSD that the world is a happy place. I will just refrain from triggering their anxiety and other mental issues concerning war.)

In short, I dont coddle. I will abstain from pouring salt in wounds, but I dont coddle.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94585 on: June 24, 2015, 12:37:01 pm »

This is literally the healthiest place the conversation can be steered to from here.
Don't hide it. Use it to fix this thread.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94586 on: June 24, 2015, 12:40:29 pm »

Agreed. My insistence on genuine interactions is precisely about this kind of thing.

People often feel that the "Real them" will never meet muster with other people. I dont want to interact with a phantom. I want to interact with the real person; warts and all. Do that for me, and I will accept you with open arms. You can even be a raging douchebag- I will accept you with open arms.

Worldmaster27

• Bay Watcher
  • Doop
    • View Profile
« Reply #94587 on: June 24, 2015, 01:51:18 pm »

uh, okay. It isn't so much "oh no people won't like me" kind of but I don't want to drag people down and make them sad or make them worry about me, or whatever. I'm not worth that much thought. Also pretty much I have no idea how to express *me* or how I feel; how to put it into words.

I know how to be WM, but not me, when it comes to this medium of communication. If that makes any sense. I don't know. Words.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #94588 on: June 24, 2015, 01:55:41 pm »

I really can't get out of my head the idea that what I've lost recently isn't something Ill ever replace... I have no idea how I'm supposed to handle this, I'm doing everything you're supposed to when you need to get over this stuff...

I've talked to my therapast, I've talked with my friends, I've even asked my doctors about my medicine and had a few dosages adjusted... But this keps coming back and I'm still miserable more often than not because I just can't handle that big hole in my life being there.

I want to fill it or get rid of it, but it's looking more and more like the only way to stop it is to well... Stop it. Completely. And that's an even scarier thought.

Edit: and I know this isn't on topic at this point but fuck it you guys carried that discussion way too long.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #94589 on: June 24, 2015, 02:08:06 pm »

I've never bothered putting up an Internet persona. I use my real name online, and don't intentionally act any different.
Pages: 1 ... 6304 6305 [6306] 6307 6308 ... 8167