Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6290 6291 [6292] 6293 6294 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9465600 times)

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #94365 on: June 19, 2015, 10:16:12 pm »

« Last Edit: January 15, 2016, 05:23:17 pm by penguinofhonor »

ArKFallen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bohandean Desserter
    • View Profile
« Reply #94366 on: June 19, 2015, 10:19:05 pm »

It just hit me.

Is there really anything worthwhile to want to go home so bad for?

... I don't really think I have anything like that...
Then are there things elsewhere that you don't like that aren't at your home?

Why I ask:
The idea that you "want to go home for something there" doesn't follow from "want to go home". If you don't want to be there for something present there then maybe you want to be there because your home has an absence of something you don't like. It could also be a bunch of little things instead of 1 (big?) thing.
Hm, have you considered murder?  It's either that or letting it go.
SigText
I logged back on ;_;

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #94367 on: June 19, 2015, 10:24:11 pm »

Someone just stole a bunch of shit from my apartment.  At least an iPad, the TV, and the PS4. Possibly more stuff.
Ouch.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #94368 on: June 19, 2015, 11:04:18 pm »

I'm considering abandoning Descent. I'm never going to be good enough for people to like my ISG.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2015, 11:11:40 pm by Cinder »
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #94369 on: June 19, 2015, 11:10:46 pm »

Why I ask:
The idea that you "want to go home for something there" doesn't follow from "want to go home". If you don't want to be there for something present there then maybe you want to be there because your home has an absence of something you don't like. It could also be a bunch of little things instead of 1 (big?) thing.

The point I was trying to make was, yes I have olga here. But I also had her at work... And now she's tired and we really can't talk.

So I have no one to really talk to closely.

I wish I had someone really close to me that wanted to actually talk with me
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #94370 on: June 19, 2015, 11:20:40 pm »

I'm considering abandoning Descent. I'm never going to be good enough for people to like my ISG.
The only thing to do is to keep it going. There aren't many updates so far, so people don't have as much to discuss, but they are watching and waiting. Just gotta keep going.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #94371 on: June 19, 2015, 11:24:58 pm »

The point I was trying to make was, yes I have olga here. But I also had her at work... And now she's tired and we really can't talk.

Well, there's this forum. It's not real life people in meatspace, but it's something. It's better than having absolutely no one to talk to.

You said you liked drawing for that. Isn't the drawing for the isg its own reward? I feel like I should be saying "no, don't abandon it, keep going, have fun," but really it's your decision and you know better than I do.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #94372 on: June 19, 2015, 11:45:08 pm »

@Shook

Well, what helps me is thinking about what I want. Not so much figuring out a goal, per se, but first figuring out what kinds of goals are worth figuring out. When you're searching blind for a goal for the sake of having a goal, it's hard to find something worthwhile. It's easy to settle on things you already like - but you might not be that kind of person. For me, I wound up focusing on who I wanted to be and what I wanted to accomplish. Maybe you'd be better suited to searching for what you want to have, or what you want to experience, or what you want to do, or something like that.

Thing is, the meaning of life is hard to find when you're searching for the meaning of life. The universe is somewhat infuriatingly zen about these things. Fulfillment is one of those goals you'll usually only find in retrospect, while doing something else entirely. So basically, what you tend to need is a goal you could appreciate even if you didn't want a goal. Something not picked in order to fill the void. Once you have that, you can set about figuring out how to get from A to B by a more straightforward plan, and enjoy the sense of rightness that flows out as a byproduct.

In my experience, that sort of thing flows a lot more easily once I have a direction to start looking in. How you figure out the direction might be unique to you, but some good places to start are - what do you think of as Good? What are the qualities you admire in your role models? What are their flaws? What sort of person are you now? What sorts of things can you change about yourself? If you imagine yourself dying for a cause, do you know what the cause is?
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #94373 on: June 19, 2015, 11:49:48 pm »

« Last Edit: January 15, 2016, 05:23:24 pm by penguinofhonor »

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #94374 on: June 20, 2015, 03:33:56 am »

Yeah you've got me freaked out for our home security now.

Although people don't usually break in unless they know you've got the stuff. Been to the coppaz?
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #94375 on: June 20, 2015, 03:57:10 am »

That's a switch within our thinking process which keeps us from really checking reality. :-\
'Good enough for' attempts to predict what others will think about our work, before...mostly even letting our work be released.
At extremes, this includes a spiral of self-doubt from that initial guess. If in doubt, get an audience confidant. Speak to them about your future releases. ASK them with faith in their criticism (ask to be constructive too), and check back on how your work really is reviewed.

Because I like your ISG, and am totally unaware on how it 'isn't gud enuf 4 u folks'.

Why I ask:

If it makes you feel better, I could say I relate.
From loneliness and fatigue and us being very focused on the current situation, we'd think nobody wants to approach us...because its not happening. From experience, I found going to my friends and talking to them about stuffs would pretty much help me punch my self-doubt and personal loneliness that way, and...like, being open to them despite my deep feelings like it may not be 'reciprocated', or...reluctant(?)? (When I say 'I could relate', I'm thinking much about our culture trait here--it's loosely translated as shame, and pretty much is the trait which says 'I'm assuming your reaction and now I'm shy.').

I've also learned that many people pretty much like to talk to others :D But then its also at times not communicated. [ie It could be simply said, 'hey buddy, talk to me :) You seem down and I wanna help.' Which I've found is a very common thing most friends do. But...is implied rather than known out loud. I think.]

Apologies ahead for my messiness :-[
« Last Edit: June 20, 2015, 04:04:59 am by Tiruin »

Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum

« Reply #94376 on: June 20, 2015, 05:15:49 am »

Ah, I almost had a few good days. Almost. Whelp. :(

Got a job! (Company didn't get a grant so I would make $0.00 per hour.)
Mom was okay! (For about five minutes, then back to nagging && bragging about how good of a parent she is && making fun of me.)
Was okay with myself! (Then my mom started making fun of me and insulting me. As usual.)
Graduated from highschool! (Still need to finish a few courses, and I missed my graduation.)
Hung out at a friend's house and played games! (Turns out he wants to date me, and he has a girlfriend already.)
Got invited to another friend's house! (They had some family issues, so they canceled.)

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94377 on: June 20, 2015, 06:02:45 am »

I'm broke and can only afford a single pint. :(
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #94378 on: June 20, 2015, 07:37:58 am »

Are you turning into an alcoholic?

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #94379 on: June 20, 2015, 08:03:46 am »

No, I think he's already there :P
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.
Pages: 1 ... 6290 6291 [6292] 6293 6294 ... 8167