Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6288 6289 [6290] 6291 6292 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9462985 times)

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #94335 on: June 18, 2015, 08:50:25 pm »

Bottling it up is when you simply push the emotions down and don't let them show. I'm seriously resisting the urge to quote Frozen here, but they were seriously right on the money - hiding emotion is baaaaad. Internalising everything ends with problems just going around and around in your head. For me, I did it for so long that I'd just kick everything inwards. Little thoughts would just sit inside and fester, going around and around until they became way too big and it ended with me punching someone anyway.
If the thoughts are sticking around in your head, it doesn't sound like you're "bottling" very well. Surely the point is to just ignore problems, rather than dwelling on them.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #94336 on: June 18, 2015, 08:53:58 pm »

"Bottling" in my case just mean venting less. I don't think it's physically possible for me to not be whiny. :P
You can vent in a way which doesn't invoke misunderstanding in others. ;3
I'll send you a PM on that.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #94337 on: June 18, 2015, 09:00:32 pm »

If the thoughts are sticking around in your head, it doesn't sound like you're "bottling" very well. Surely the point is to just ignore problems, rather than dwelling on them.
Observe the word 'bottling' and the metaphor which goes with that verb.
You're talking about letting your issues pass you by. Bottling indicates you taking those niggles and keeping them inside. Hence, festering. Hence, boom.

Also once again, Cinder nobody here will believe that you're ugly no matter how many times you tell us.
I am seriously worried for someone who can have that much self-esteem issues about something which simply isn't true. Do other people call you ugly often, which has caused this erroneous self-image?
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Worldmaster27

• Bay Watcher
  • Doop
    • View Profile
« Reply #94338 on: June 18, 2015, 09:10:51 pm »

Oh we're talking about internalizing emotions? I do that, except without the venting part.

* Worldmaster27 nervously laughs

I don't know how to explain what I feel in any case, so whatever. It's probably better left alone. No cares anyways, I'm nothing important.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #94339 on: June 18, 2015, 09:42:04 pm »

I know I feel a hell of a lot better since I started drunkenly venting frustrations here  Instead of bottling them up, distilling them into resentful anger, then exploding at family members.  So embarrassing.

So yeah I think venting can be better than alternatives.  I'm not 100% sure grievances can be fully handled without at least expressing them somewhere, but maybe it's different for... healthy people.

Anyway Cinder you look great, I wish I looked that good.  Stupid rapid facial hair.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #94340 on: June 18, 2015, 09:42:30 pm »

I lost 3 carbon fiber arrows today. Just so you know they cost about $5 each.

Aaaaaaaargh I don't think I want to do archery anymore.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #94341 on: June 18, 2015, 10:11:40 pm »

You're talking about letting your issues pass you by. Bottling indicates you taking those niggles and keeping them inside. Hence, festering. Hence, boom.

Semantics are not an argument in psychology or indeed any science that completely replaces its knowledge base every 20 years or less.

IIRC, recent studies suggest in general that venting and not keeping emotions bottled up is very bad since, for the most part, it leads to associating anger with punching things and yelling at people.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #94342 on: June 18, 2015, 11:07:07 pm »

Semantics are not an argument in psychology or indeed any science that completely replaces its knowledge base every 20 years or less.

IIRC, recent studies suggest in general that venting and not keeping emotions bottled up is very bad since, for the most part, it leads to associating anger with punching things and yelling at people.
Yeah, Tack, that's Star Trek: Voyager levels of taking an alright metaphor for a situation and running with it so hard that it breaks all meaning.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #94343 on: June 18, 2015, 11:10:16 pm »

* Cinder uses his emotions to power the FTL drive?
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #94344 on: June 18, 2015, 11:14:45 pm »

They once had the ship stuck in the event horizon of a black hole, saw a copy ship 'like a reflection in the ice,' and ran with it to 'find a crack in the ice' and rammed through a crack in the event horizon.

In case you weren't aware, that's fucking crazy. Event horizons are concepts, not actual structures in space, so you can't have a crack in them any more than you can have a crack in your miles-to-the-gallon and speed off on infinite fuel if you could just find a crack in your MPG.
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #94345 on: June 19, 2015, 12:04:06 am »

They once had the ship stuck in the event horizon of a black hole, saw a copy ship 'like a reflection in the ice,' and ran with it to 'find a crack in the ice' and rammed through a crack in the event horizon.

In case you weren't aware, that's fucking crazy. Event horizons are concepts, not actual structures in space, so you can't have a crack in them any more than you can have a crack in your miles-to-the-gallon and speed off on infinite fuel if you could just find a crack in your MPG.

Yes, but don't tell them that. The Enterprise is actually still stuck in there and they're just messing around with the holodeck to this day.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #94346 on: June 19, 2015, 12:08:18 am »

Well, Voyager. Though to be honest, if we could trap Archer in a black hole, I wouldn't be against that.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #94347 on: June 19, 2015, 12:09:20 am »

That would be Brannon Braga, the worst sci-fi scriptwriter ever. He also wrote a Voyager episode where they went Warp 10 in a shuttle, and it caused them to de-evolve into giant lizards.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #94348 on: June 19, 2015, 12:10:21 am »

I really have no idea how I'm supposed to get through life feeling so incredibly, unfixably lonely and stuck inside myself every night. I keep ending up with no one close enough I feel comfortable to talk with all the time... No way to really escape myself and just not think about it. Very little to nothing for me to look forward to after coming back from work...

I don't know. Life just seems too hard these days...

I miss the older days so bad already.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #94349 on: June 19, 2015, 12:59:40 am »

Yes, no, maybe and yes again, oddly enough. Internalising emotion is downright unhealthy, but so is releasing it in an impulsive manner. It's all in how you burn it off that's key. Burning off anger by hitting a punching bag is a somewhat bad idea, since it does lead to the association you mentioned. But burning it off by other forms of exercise? Perfectly fine, since the relevant association does not form.

The problem with internalising emotion is that you can't do it forever. Eventually, something is going to be too much. And it won't necessarily be something big. But whatever it is, it'll set you off in a ridiculous manner, waaaay out of proportion to the actual event causing it.

This is one of those things where neither well-known option is exactly right - it's a middle ground that's key. It's all in how you deal with the emotive overload.
What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!
Pages: 1 ... 6288 6289 [6290] 6291 6292 ... 8167