Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6259 6260 [6261] 6262 6263 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9476506 times)

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #93900 on: June 07, 2015, 01:21:51 pm »

Ooh! Because of Children in a failed marriage?

Also polygamy, open relationships, etc etc.
Many reasons how it could be '"'ok'"', but this is was not one of those.

I personally suffer a lot from the 'what if' factor during relationships, but that just leads me to end it, or avoid all of their friends until some awkward questions come up.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #93901 on: June 07, 2015, 02:45:16 pm »

Cheating is one of the few things someone can do to make me think they're a genuinely horrible or at least extremely cowardly person. Other things on the list include murdering people for no reason at all.
It's....not always so black and white as that.  :-[

I think it might be. I certainly can't think of any reasonable mitigating factors for adultery outside of things that could get the person you're cheating with charged with sexual assault.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #93902 on: June 07, 2015, 03:00:54 pm »

I think it might be. I certainly can't think of any reasonable mitigating factors for adultery outside of things that could get the person you're cheating with charged with sexual assault.
I can, depending on what you mean by "mitigating". For example, if your partner has consistently demonstrated a lack of respect for that same bond of trust in some way, or is emotionally abusive in a way that makes it too easy to latch onto somebody else who demonstrates legitimate care because "Holy shit, maybe love doesn't have to hurt!" Wouldn't exactly excuse the act entirely, but it sure as hell would change what it says about the person who committed it.

EDIT: From my last post, you might be able to tell that I have some pretty strong reasons not to like cheating on folks. I just think reality has too much nuance for that to be the end of the story.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2015, 03:03:28 pm by Bauglir »
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #93903 on: June 07, 2015, 04:11:22 pm »

I can, depending on what you mean by "mitigating". For example, if your partner has consistently demonstrated a lack of respect for that same bond of trust in some way, or is emotionally abusive in a way that makes it too easy to latch onto somebody else who demonstrates legitimate care because "Holy shit, maybe love doesn't have to hurt!" Wouldn't exactly excuse the act entirely, but it sure as hell would change what it says about the person who committed it.
^^^^
This.

But yeah, I'll accept that I may be a genuinely horrible person.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #93904 on: June 07, 2015, 04:30:53 pm »

Deactivated my Facebook because very few of the people on my friends list there were actually friends in any meaningful sense, and those few all have my phone number anyway. When you deactivate your Facebook, the site brings up a list of random people from your friends list to say "Look, these people will miss you!"

It picked the exact people that I expected would not notice, many of whom had not been in contact with me for over a year. Plan kinda backfired there, Facebook.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #93905 on: June 07, 2015, 04:38:04 pm »

I didn't know you COULD deactivate your facebook. I just haven't logged in for two years or something... Nobody misses me anyway, of course. They could always contact me through my sister-in-law, but no. Nobody cares. ;-;

Now I'm actually sad, damnit.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #93906 on: June 07, 2015, 04:39:40 pm »

I am pretty sure that I am starting to blame other people for problems entirely of my own creation. It's not even like I think that it's their fault, but now whenever I think about it there's the doubt that they could have.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #93907 on: June 07, 2015, 04:55:33 pm »

I haven't touched my face book in at least five years, I just hate all the family drama on it and only used it for games that eventually got boring
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #93908 on: June 07, 2015, 05:05:45 pm »

Of course, by calling polyamourous and open relationships 'cheating, just okay cheating,' you're basically saying consensual sex with someone is 'rape, just okay rape.'

:Y

They're both *defined* by the fact that they're not consensual, so by them being consensual, it's no longer cheating/rape. :I
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #93909 on: June 07, 2015, 05:07:14 pm »

Of course, by calling that 'cheating, just okay cheating,' you're basically saying consensual sex with someone is 'rape, just okay rape.'

:Y

They're both *defined* by the fact that they're not consensual, so by them being consensual, it's no longer cheating/rape. :I

Now that doesn't make a lick of sense.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #93910 on: June 07, 2015, 05:19:06 pm »

But yeah, I'll accept that I may be a genuinely horrible person.
Nah, I don't think so. You did a bad thing, but based on what you highlighted, for reasons that don't speak to the sort of glaring character faults that merit "genuinely horrible person" status. Moreover, the fact that you can acknowledge it speaks a lot more strongly to the possibility that you're actually a pretty cool dude. I've always valued honesty about mistakes over never making them; and everything you've said suggests that you understand exactly what was wrong about it, and just as importantly what was right (the part where you got out of a bad relationship and into a good one).

Now that doesn't make a lick of sense.
Possibly only because it seems strange to be putting spare change in your mouth. Seriously, though, the issue at hand with cheating isn't the sex part, it's the "I violated my partner's trust in a deep way" part. Which is why it seems to me that an open relationship or whatever isn't cheating, because there was no promise (implicit or otherwise) broken.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #93911 on: June 07, 2015, 05:24:06 pm »

Bauglir's got it.
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #93912 on: June 07, 2015, 06:22:05 pm »

I am pretty sure that I am starting to blame other people for problems entirely of my own creation. It's not even like I think that it's their fault, but now whenever I think about it there's the doubt that they could have.
To be fair, most of the time one's misfortune has other people as a contributing factor. The only problem with that mindset is that you can't expect other people to prevent your suffering.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #93913 on: June 07, 2015, 06:49:32 pm »

How is cheating defined in such a way?
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #93914 on: June 07, 2015, 06:53:53 pm »

it's the "I violated my partner's trust in a deep way" part.
If your partner consents to you having sex with people other than them, then it's not cheating. If they do not consent and you do it anyway, it is cheating.
Pages: 1 ... 6259 6260 [6261] 6262 6263 ... 8167