Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6258 6259 [6260] 6261 6262 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9477168 times)

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #93885 on: June 07, 2015, 07:42:13 am »

Well... it *is* harder to fake body language than it is to tell a lie.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #93886 on: June 07, 2015, 07:58:47 am »

Well... it *is* harder to fake body language than it is to tell a lie.
Err, yes.
Thing is I'm not going for that--even thinking about that :P
While interpretation denotes looking for signals, its the limits of interpretation  and thus meaning (due to how common it is implied), which...give the wrong impression. And...other things.
While I am 'aware' of this before...I didn't know the exact scope. Which was detailed in that deep talk. The incompleteness of it all...

Which gives power to the echoes of those thoughts pretty pertinent to the thread.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #93887 on: June 07, 2015, 08:16:49 am »

So you're having trouble with your family because you don't display your feelings through body language as well as others would? Did I get that right?
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #93888 on: June 07, 2015, 08:31:27 am »

So you're having trouble with your family because you don't display your feelings through body language as well as others would? Did I get that right?
YES (That, or sometimes my body language is taken 'towards others' if its categorized as negative)
And other things. :-\

I am -so- glad I scheduled an activity related to this a few weeks ago. By accident I hope it'll clear this up too. :-\

* Tiruin is vague for concrete purposes.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #93889 on: June 07, 2015, 08:33:42 am »

That's actually really interesting.
Color me fascinated - if fascination were a color.

... like a rich turquoise.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #93890 on: June 07, 2015, 08:40:27 am »

I'm sorry to hear that tiruin, I hope they come to understand you better. You can always talk to us when you're feeling down!

"Vague for concrete purposes" is such a wonderful oxymoron :P
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Jack A T

• Bay Watcher
  • Mafia is What Players Make of It
    • View Profile
« Reply #93891 on: June 07, 2015, 11:06:28 am »

Talking and/or thinking about travel can be enjoyable sometimes.  When I'm dealing with one of my bouts of what's probably depression, though, it really isn't.  Things I normally manage to brush off with a few snarky remarks or with just a focus on them as interesting political situations are a lot harder to handle when I'm already in poor emotional shape.

Of the countries of (sort of) origin of the side of my family I have the strongest ties to and identify the most with (that is, the countries I would otherwise most want to visit), one's gone hard authoritarian and the other is full of hundreds of thousands of people who want to kill me.

Kind of tough to deal with.

Tiruin: Body language and unspoken rules of communication are overrated anyway.  Granted, I'm a bit biased here, but still.
Quote from: Pandarsenic, BYOR 6.3 deadchat
FUCK YOU JACK
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris, Witches' Coven 2 Elfchat
YOU TRAITOROUS SWINE.
Screw you, Jack.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #93892 on: June 07, 2015, 11:21:11 am »

A friend recently told me that her boyfriend cheated on her. I didn't know what to say or do, and the Hollywood representation of "that bayusturd!" really doesn't match up with that cold realization that someone who lived in their house and was cooked dinner every night suddenly decided that she was worth less than a slightly bigger pair of tits.

I'm usually fine at dealing with these things... But for some reason I just didn't have it. I've already got such a low opinion of men, this really didn't help.
The customary "not all guys are like that- you'll find the right one" falls short when you start trying to hedge your bets...
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #93893 on: June 07, 2015, 11:34:05 am »

Cheating is one of the few things someone can do to make me think they're a genuinely horrible or at least extremely cowardly person. Other things on the list include murdering people for no reason at all.

So anyway, a certain amount of research says that it's theoretically possible I have bipolar II. I guess I'll try the non-medication things that don't involve spending a lot of money and hope my problems go away.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #93894 on: June 07, 2015, 11:42:31 am »

There is an element of cowardice to that, yeah, but not all situations are straightforward like this. Particularly in formalized relationships.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #93895 on: June 07, 2015, 11:59:26 am »

I'm afraid I don't really see how it changes. In any situation, by cheating you're betraying the trust of someone who you've made a commitment to care for to at least some extent because you're to afraid to talk to them face to face about the fact that you want to change or end the relationship.

The alternative is that you want the benefits from both relationships, in which case I direct you back to the horrible person clause.

I want to reword all those 'you's to 'one's, but one my phone that would take about half an hour. Imagine this post is less you-y than it is, please?

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #93896 on: June 07, 2015, 12:01:07 pm »

If it's any consolation, Tiruin, the way your brain is wired has probably contributed to the degree to which you are pretty cool. Which is a high degree!

Cheating on a partner is a pretty awful thing. Buddy of mine had to deal with that; and then the guy dumped her after she tried to forgive him. Evidently, this has been a significant contributor to some anxiety issues, because up until recently more people she trusted than not had turned out not to deserve that trust. Bluh.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #93897 on: June 07, 2015, 12:05:58 pm »

Cheating is one of the few things someone can do to make me think they're a genuinely horrible or at least extremely cowardly person. Other things on the list include murdering people for no reason at all.
It's....not always so black and white as that.  :-[

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #93898 on: June 07, 2015, 12:09:20 pm »

True. I'm in a very weird state of mind right now anyway, I should probably stop talking.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #93899 on: June 07, 2015, 12:24:00 pm »

I'm afraid I don't really see how it changes. In any situation, by cheating you're betraying the trust of someone who you've made a commitment to care for to at least some extent because you're to afraid to talk to them face to face about the fact that you want to change or end the relationship.

The alternative is that you want the benefits from both relationships, in which case I direct you back to the horrible person clause.

I want to reword all those 'you's to 'one's, but one my phone that would take about half an hour. Imagine this post is less you-y than it is, please?
Oh, I absolutely agree on the 'afraid to talk' part. As well as breach of trust. But what I'm thinking of - and it's not abstract, but I don't want to spill the people in question's identities for internet at large - of the official relationship existing primarily on paper, with one of the people being horrible in manifold ways and the other growing resentful, but for Reasons (TM) not really able to part ways quickly.
Pages: 1 ... 6258 6259 [6260] 6261 6262 ... 8167