Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6256 6257 [6258] 6259 6260 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9477123 times)

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #93855 on: June 06, 2015, 04:47:02 pm »

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93856 on: June 06, 2015, 05:17:16 pm »

I dunno man, one year olds can be pretty cheap to replace if you can spare the time and effort... laptops, on the other hand?
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #93857 on: June 06, 2015, 05:20:28 pm »

My mom threw coffee over her 1 year old
D:
...laptop
Phew...
That is exactly how I read that. Heart skipped a beat, there.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #93858 on: June 06, 2015, 05:30:02 pm »

I dunno about it being unimportant. In my experience, most guys would have some pretty major complaints if they had to put on a dress for whatever reason. And it would be largely because of a mismatch between their gender identity and what wearing a dress signals socially.

Helgo's got it more on the mark, I think; they're pretty chill about it because they don't have problems with it often, and that's something that applies to every issue. It's important, but since it doesn't really come up often it's not important that it's important, if you see what I mean. It's pretty important that your booze not have dangerous amounts of methanol in it, but it comes up so rarely that most people aren't going to spend time fussing over making sure that what they buy in the supermarket will leave their powers of sight intact. But if somebody's making their own moonshine I can pretty well understand why they'd give a fuck.
Actually I meant that guys who have problems with wearing a dress usually have deeper problems explaining that one - either they fear being ridiculed or they are insecure in their masculinity. Usually it's the latter. However wearing a dress is not exactly something that touches your identity if you don't let it...
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #93859 on: June 06, 2015, 05:47:50 pm »

I don't like wearing a dress because I really don't like the standard dress aesthetic. The only type of feminine clothing I like are the "boyish" ones.

I find it rather dumb that we have to assign genders to clothing, though. I mean, most dresses are pretty masculine in a way.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #93860 on: June 06, 2015, 05:56:36 pm »

"My crotch cannot be contained by mere cotton garments! My balls need to swing free like the majestic eagle's wings! My schlong must dangle like the trunk of the mighty elephant!"
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #93861 on: June 06, 2015, 06:32:17 pm »

We should bring back togas. Togas and tights.

Anyway, spambots. Spam to the spam gods! Movies for the movie orphanage!
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #93862 on: June 06, 2015, 07:57:44 pm »

I find it rather dumb that we have to assign genders to clothing, though. I mean, most dresses are pretty masculine in a way.
Oh, absolutely. Still, people do; it's one reason why many transgender people wear clothing belonging to the opposite physical sex. It's a way of outwardly affirming a gender identity, which can help fortify against internal doubts. Or at least that's how I understand it often to be, and by no means do all trans people do this or, if they do, do so for the same reasons. You'd probably know a lot better than I would, I suppose.

or they are insecure in their masculinity
That's literally what I meant; part of their identity involves externally signalling their gender by clothing choice (lots of trans people try to signal with pronouns in exactly the same way, again by my understanding). So there's a lot of discomfort with doing something that runs counter to that, and I think it's very similar in principle. The main difference is that for most people it's not something they would rate as an important part of their identity because it's not something they're confronted with on a regular basis. Just as you (probably) wouldn't bother to list "methanol-free" on your criteria for good booze.

However wearing a dress is not exactly something that touches your identity if you don't let it...
This is certainly the case! Same with most things. "If you don't let it" is kind of the key thing, there. Kind of makes it tautological. A lot of work sometimes has to go into making that part happen, for example if you're socialized to believe that dresses are inherently feminine.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #93863 on: June 06, 2015, 08:20:47 pm »

Actually, forgive my macabre curiosity, but I've always wondered if trans people get a secret thrill from getting gender-biased derogoratives thrown at them.
Like grouping someone in with the 'all men are pigs' or 'all women are emotionally unstable' stereotypes. It's inclusion, but in a backhanded fashion.
Just curious. If I could make someone happy by being abrasive and generalist, frankly I'd marry them.
Nope :P
Research also backs this up if any curiosity is to be had. Any 'secret thrill' this way (...a very generalizing and demeaning thing in how its written here {?}) is not directly correlated with being trans, or to expound, it has no connection with innate gender identity.
...It is more of a social construct overall, encompassing one's exposure to ideas and current environment, that stereotyping.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #93864 on: June 06, 2015, 10:42:05 pm »

I'm pretty sure the question of dresses is indeed all about insecurity and fear of being ridiculed. As a non-transvestite amateur stage actor, I can tell that in the right context, nothing is taboo. "Yes, that man is wearing a dress, but for the purposes of the plot, he needs to be a woman right now, so let's imagine 'she' is one." Of course, in real life, you ought to not have to imagine anything, but it would be a start. We just need to spread the magic of theatre all over so people other than real men can wear pink.

Ninjaedit: I'm not completely happy with how the message comes through in this post. Please don't get me wrong.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #93865 on: June 06, 2015, 11:06:18 pm »

I've spent most of my weekend picking at a term paper which is already late. But damnit, I just have nothing to say that fits the prompt.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #93866 on: June 06, 2015, 11:37:06 pm »

Went to grandfather's to do work again earlier today. I'm laying down and my legs still feel like they're being pulled apart.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #93867 on: June 06, 2015, 11:42:51 pm »

Quote from: IronTomato's Personal Text
THE PAIN
Seems appropriate.

Just rest and stretch your legs around as much as you can without it hurting. You'll be less sore tomorrow.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #93868 on: June 06, 2015, 11:43:48 pm »

Finally, county paying for therapist. Dealt with career crippling corruption, "won" by properly alerting authorities, was retaliated against. Led to anxiety, fear, hopeless feeling depression. Some of therapist's advice is helpful. Other parts seem conflicting.

Deal with anxiety by realizing "you can't make people behave," "it isn't your fault," "you take too much responsibility for others." In other words, don't worry yourself sick trying to figure out what you can do about it. She also says not to "let yourself be a victim...."

So don't worry about the bad things people do cause you can't make them behave, but don't let yourself be a victim? How do you do one while also doing the other? Aren't they mutually exclusive? Isn't someone "victimizing" you something you "can't make people behave?" Does not compute; conflicting order of operations; cannot execute protocol. Segfault; error.

[sigh].
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #93869 on: June 06, 2015, 11:58:38 pm »

Probably telling you not to victimize yourself on behalf of others.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.
Pages: 1 ... 6256 6257 [6258] 6259 6260 ... 8167