Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6241 6242 [6243] 6244 6245 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9489111 times)

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #93630 on: May 30, 2015, 08:47:08 am »

Sorry for quickpost! :X No time!

@IT: Probably educate those around you--and in that, quell whatever worry that they may have about your future by assuring your own confidence. Like the idea of 'I can socialize--but I need to prioritize my studies, Mom, so I also need alone time to relax.' Or something like that--I am currently doubtful that efficient use of wording can't do anything (especially if you ask your school counselor given that you say Finals are approaching...which you could pretty much do [or any teacher for that matter {ie "[Greet Teacher], could I ask advice on how to convince my parents for alone time?"]).

...Searchengine's firsts on the culture of lacking alone time {and why you totally need it}.

On that note, You could also use related ideas FOR HER PERUSAL so that other thoughts could help her {and the link above, of course}.

What must be done though, is communication. You need to communicate that idea to her; people base their ideas and beliefs on reason, and since you're in the best spot to know what's going on, you need to check how she rationalizes things (personal reason, which is why some things seem illogical/unreasonable to others, either due to personal assumptions or misunderstandings...or differing reasons of Point A-cause -> Point B-effect). Probably also speak to your camp teacher or instructor...or bring along material there too? There also needs to be assurance; putting personal confidence in the self -in verbal manners- also conveys assuaging that fear of 'antisocial behavior' (which...I think really is the context she's poking at you, IT, given your last posts?)

Point on video games too--sometimes, people use that as an alleviation to stress. A withdrawal from stressors--acting as disassociation from current frustrations. It's not a bad thing (unless it is uncontrolled, and begins to act as a dominating//exclusive part of your life, in which what is bad is in the -context- rather than the entirety...)

If you're stuck at camp, make ways to study your material--bring along a notebook ("For taking notes from the camp instructors") which is filled with exam-pertinent notes! Whichever's the case, don't break communication from those who can readily help or intervene, even from the direct cause of your stress too (talk with your mother about this and play detective on How To Talk To Mom Without Getting Her Irate).

:-\
*hugs to y'all who are sad*

...On an unrelated note, I'm confused on all the move out from family thing ._. (it's not generally in our culture). Generally. x_x Sorry for brevity. Have to click post.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #93631 on: May 30, 2015, 08:56:31 am »

« Last Edit: December 12, 2015, 04:16:02 pm by penguinofhonor »

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #93632 on: May 30, 2015, 09:15:48 am »

"Sorry for brevity" she says at the end of her 400+ word post.
I may be missing things! D:

* Tiruin is off now.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #93633 on: May 30, 2015, 11:22:11 am »

Why does my phone have such a low character limit on messages of all kinds? :-/
Not that my day was all that interesting anyway.

IIRC it related to ext messaging technology being adapted from the messaging system from ye olde alphanumeric pagers
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
It's FEF, not FEOF

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #93635 on: May 30, 2015, 12:57:38 pm »

I have no idea what "camp instructor" represents in this situation. There is no instructor. Our camp is a cabin in the woods. When we go camping, my family goes up there and we stay there. I have no idea how that is supposed to promote social behavior, since we're just going to pretend that it's perfectly okay for her to try and make me be like that. It's exactly like being at home, except we're not at home and there's even less I'm allowed to do. Being completely isolated is not "social".

About the stress relief thing, it is not a relief from stressors at all. It is literally just picking me and my stressors up, placing them in a cabin in the woods in the middle of nowhere, with nothing to do, and leaving us to our own devices. That is not stress relief. What is stress relief is being allowed to just not go with them so that I can stay home and do something that isn't video games for once without having to have my brother watch me and bitch at me while I do it. Video games are not fucking stress relief, they are a hobby that I have because I was never allowed to do any of the other things I wanted as a kid and all my other hobbies were shit my parents were trying to force onto me and guilt me into picking up.

Also, I convinced her to leave me here so I could work on my essays, and she seems adamant that I will be completely done everything within an hour so I can go up with her to camp anyway.

Why do I even bother trying?

I hope IT's second-to-last line doesn't mean what I think it means. I really do.
There's not much we can do aside from offering advice. He's said stuff like that in the past. I've said stuff like that in the past. Spoiler alert, I got better. He'd probably get better too if he just got away from them and gave it enough time.

If he could just put up with their shit long enough for him to be able to move out, then he'd be golden. Finish high school, move out, go do something on his own, get a job, go to college, whatever. Just get independent and get away from them. Obviously his brother and all the other people are making him feel like shit. So they're the problem. Solution to the problem: move out and move on with his life.
Yeah, sure, once I move out I can just instantly forget about my childhood and my parents will never have any effect on me ever again, right? Because they will totally allow that to happen.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #93636 on: May 30, 2015, 01:06:13 pm »

Yeah, sure, once I move out I can just instantly forget about my childhood and my parents will never have any effect on me ever again, right? Because they will totally allow that to happen.

Well they won't have as much control over you. Like, your mom won't be able to force you go to camp or some shit to "be social".

You're pretty much rejecting the option before you've even given it a chance. Would you rather get away from them and live your own life when given the chance or would you rather live with them for the rest of your life? It sounds like you don't enjoy living with them as is. You can't just magically forget whatever shit you've put up with in the past but it doesn't mean you have to live a future full of their shit.

I'm trying to help, man.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #93637 on: May 30, 2015, 01:34:32 pm »

Once you have moved out and are totally self-sufficient there is literally no way for your parents to "force" you to do anything in the vast majority of cases. At that point the most they can really do about you is complain, and something as simple as a phone-blocker or similar can stop all of that in it's tracks. It's not a matter of them "allowing" anything at that point; legally you are the one that has to "allow" any influence they have on you then, not the other way around.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #93638 on: May 30, 2015, 02:19:35 pm »

Once you're an independant adult, they will have all the effect you let them have.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #93639 on: May 30, 2015, 02:35:12 pm »

There are countless people who cut off their entire family after they move out, with literally nothing the family can do about it. My uncle is one, he moved down to the South, Florida last I heard. Current person I'm courting is another, moved out on his own and cut off family from the sounds of things.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #93640 on: May 30, 2015, 03:32:00 pm »

There are countless people who cut off their entire family after they move out, with literally nothing the family can do about it. My uncle is one, he moved down to the South, Florida last I heard. Current person I'm courting is another, moved out on his own and cut off family from the sounds of things.
Yup. Move a couple states away and you can pretty well pretend they don't exist.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #93641 on: May 30, 2015, 04:03:48 pm »

Minor sad: Friend wasn't able to go to the movies today with me .-.
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #93642 on: May 30, 2015, 06:40:51 pm »

I tried to make a post about this earlier, but it doesn't appear to be here.

I attempted to confront my mother yet again, this time telling her that she was the one stressing me out by trying to tell me that I'm "not an introvert" and that I'm really just trying to be a "hermit" by not talking to people for fun, and yelling at me about how I'm going to get fired, not going to be able to hold a job, going to be homeless and die, etc just because I don't talk to people for fun. I also told her about my depression just to see if you gave half a fuck about that, but no, she insisted that I was "just like her when [she] was little, and felt like puking whenever faced with social interaction". I attempted to tell her that this was not the case a huge number of times, but she kept magically going back to what she said before about being a hermit and being scared of everyone etc. And then she tried to tell me that I was "just like all other teenagers" and that I thought nobody understood me whrn they really did.

MOM. I tried to correct you and explain to you how I felt, and you kept on believing the exact opposite of what I said. I think that's enough of a reason to believe you do not understand. The fact that you were scared of opening your mouth as a kid does not instantly mean that I also am just because I'm an introvert. And yes, believe it or not, I am an introvert. I do not find it enjoyable to talk to people for fun. Why the fuck can you not accept that? You keep fucking bitching and saying "oh, I'm a REAL introvert, but at least I've learned to have fun talking to people and function in society!". Believe it or not, it is possible to not talk to people for fun and still survive! HOLY SHIT, RIGHT? By the way, you don't magically stop being an introvert. You were the one who was never an introvert in the first place. You may have been shy as fuck, but you weren't an introvert.

And by the way, you should probably not talk about how I have anger issues and am going to randomly throw a tantrum and get fired from all my jobs I ever have just because I was angry when I was six years old or so. If you had given a shit about me since then, you would have noticed that I stopped being angry as soon as my brother and a legion of other people stopped tormenting me every second of the school day. But naturally you refuse to believe that ever happened, because you think he's the fucking messiah and that he can do no wrong just because he scolded a couple people who called me "gay" behind my back at school one time a few years ago. Because of that, I am obligated to put up with all of the bullshit he wants to put me through, despite the fact that he called me a faggot to my face on two seperate occasions.

We argued about this for about an hour. She still refused to listen to a thing I said. It gradually shifted to me trying to get her to realize that she was not the perfect parent she thought she was, which ended in her crying and getting mad at me. In the end, she still didn't give a fuck about my life and refused to do anything but nag me about how I need to be just like her.

She is going to continue doing this, and I am going to have to live with the pain of never having an actual childhood as well as never having had a mother who loved me for who I was, or helped me through life's shit, despite the fact that she had always promised she would.

I am genuinely starting to wonder if this is all in my head.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2015, 06:51:09 pm by IronTomato »

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #93643 on: May 30, 2015, 06:54:28 pm »

Sounds like your mom is just misunderstanding you. I'm sure in her head she's trying to help, but because of miscommunication it's exactly the opposite of helping you, and she doesn't realize that. She seems to mean well, at least. Some people just have a hard time changing their opinion and accepting they were wrong.

Could be worse, your mom could be an insane spiteful jerk who screams shit at you and beats you regularly.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #93644 on: May 30, 2015, 08:03:34 pm »

Sounds like your mom is just misunderstanding you. I'm sure in her head she's trying to help, but because of miscommunication it's exactly the opposite of helping you, and she doesn't realize that. She seems to mean well, at least. Some people just have a hard time changing their opinion and accepting they were wrong.

Could be worse, your mom could be an insane spiteful jerk who screams shit at you and beats you regularly.
She's already an insane jerk who screams shit at me regularly, so the only things missing are actual beatings. And yes, while I'm aware it could be slightly worse, it could also be way, way, way better.
Pages: 1 ... 6241 6242 [6243] 6244 6245 ... 8167