Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6235 6236 [6237] 6238 6239 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9492355 times)

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #93540 on: May 27, 2015, 01:43:40 am »

Two things you didn't learn at homeschooling, Arx. Cynicism and Atheism.
Naturally this makes the cynics and atheists see a problem with homeschooling.

See? Tack gets it.

Also, pretty sure you have to still pass the public school exams if you're home schooled. So. Yeah.

Does the person teaching you have to pass them too? That's a rather more important consideration.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2015, 01:45:22 am by Bohandas »
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

AlleeCat

• Bay Watcher
  • Black, the beast, descends from shadows...
    • View Profile
« Reply #93541 on: May 27, 2015, 01:48:55 am »

My girlfriend and I have different beliefs. My hope is that if we ever raise kids together, we can let them decide what beliefs they'd rather follow. I really wouldn't care what my kids' religious beliefs were, as long as they went about practicing them in a way that wasn't harmful to themselves or others.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #93542 on: May 27, 2015, 01:52:17 am »

Two things you didn't learn at homeschooling, Arx. Cynicism and Atheism.
Naturally this makes the cynics and atheists see a problem with homeschooling.

Haha, what? I'm in the top ten most cynical people I know. Sufficiently so that I don't tend to say my actual opinion on a lot of things because people complain about it. As for the atheism thing, if evangelical atheists are concerned about my religion I suggest they become concerned about theirs instead.

But truthfully I believe that there's a few things you can only learn when crammed into a gigantic pool of other people. I don't mean algebra and such, I mean things like 'What is weird and what is not weird'. 'How to give fun facts without appearing like a know-it-all' or 'Why having friends is better than sitting in the library alone and reading'.
I went to boarding school personally and that taught me a thousand thousand things I'd have never learned if I were home-schooled.

Oh, homeschooling isn't a silver bullet perfect system. Of course, I disagree with your idea of what's important, but that's why I don't think you should ever put an extrovert through homeschooling.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #93543 on: May 27, 2015, 01:58:55 am »

The thing about homeschooling is, well, the public school system is terrible.  Easy to be good when the competition is bad.

Well it's not like you can't learn outside of school hours.

Depends on how quickly you can do homework.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #93544 on: May 27, 2015, 02:07:22 am »

The thing about homeschooling is, well, the public school system is terrible.  Easy to be good when the competition is bad.
No, America's public school system is terrible.

My girlfriend and I have different beliefs. My hope is that if we ever raise kids together, we can let them decide what beliefs they'd rather follow. I really wouldn't care what my kids' religious beliefs were, as long as they went about practicing them in a way that wasn't harmful to themselves or others.
Also this.

Unless the kid turned out to have a shrine to Richard Dawkins and routinely sacrificed Bibles to him, then I might have a problem.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #93545 on: May 27, 2015, 02:08:19 am »

Yes it is. My parents actually took me out of the public school system for my second stint at homeschooling because I was so worn out from being bored that when I got home I'd just sit and play computer games, which we pretty much all (in the family) agreed wasn't good.

Depends on how quickly you can do homework.

I was referring more to how life itself is a learning experience and you learn shit even when you're goal is to not learn shit.  Do hobbies to relax after school, read about stuff on the internet, read other people's opinions and think about how they compare to yours, read about other people's experiences, get different viewpoints, etc.

Like, people don't learn streetsmarts from school textbooks.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #93546 on: May 27, 2015, 02:58:19 am »

Oh.
Now I wonder why nobody has succeeded in taking over the United States and proclaiming themselves as the Overlord of South Canada yet.
Mostly because the President has lots of guns. Kind of like how John Key has a bunch of swords in his office.

uh
It's one of the reasons everyone (in NZ) thinks the Reformed church is a cult.
You know what kind of sword he should have?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #93547 on: May 27, 2015, 06:45:52 am »

« Last Edit: December 12, 2015, 04:12:22 pm by penguinofhonor »

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #93548 on: May 27, 2015, 08:39:38 am »

Also all of the science in schools is taught completely sideways to what young-earth creationists know, so I could understand them not wanting their kids to be learning such lies.

As for the atheism thing, if evangelical atheists are concerned about my religion I suggest they become concerned about theirs instead.
Ah. I feel trepidation, but I'm still wanting to dive in. I'd like to feel that it's a 'choice' thing. I'd prefer all kids to make their own decisions without having the religion of their parents jammed down their throats.
I mean, I personally have christian parents, went to a non-denominational christian school, and now am what I would call an 'Apathetic Atheist' through sheer teen angstiness.
I feel like people who go into the greater pool of mankind and have their beliefs challenged and whatnot and take a dip in the 'agnosticism' pool and then revert to religion because they love that feeling of divine fulfillment end up being stronger people for it. Hell, the Amish have a 'coming of age' ceremony where they send their kids out into the greater world to learn about all of the technology and hedonism and etcetera that they can get their fill of, then if they still want to come back, they come back. This obviously doesn't incorporate the 18 years of life that the child has known before that, but hey.

Of course, I disagree with your idea of what's important but that's why I don't think you should ever put an extrovert through homeschooling.

I would never classify myself as an extrovert. I hate large groups of people and even have difficulty leaving my house. But I'm damn charismatic, and school taught me that. Because at the end of the day if you don't have networks (friends), salesmanship (a good personality) and whatever-the-buzzword-form-of-"knowing what is and isn't good in certain social situations"-is...
Uh... Yeah, you're not gonna go as far as if you did have those things. The leaders of the greatest computer and software companies are still crazy charismatic people, because at the end of the day everything else comes second if you want to get to the top.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2015, 08:41:11 am by Tack »
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #93549 on: May 27, 2015, 08:41:45 am »

@Homeschooling:

Holy shit I didn't expect this from just venting XD

Well, uh. I suppose I should interject and say, that yes, I may have been overreacting to why my parents are doing this. To be honest, it's more on the side of 'Most likely outcome' versus 'Definitely', but that still has me worried.

Pretty much every reason I know of for my homeschooling is either some religious objection on my parents side or apparent intelligence on my side(not deprecating myself. elementary stuff is easy :v). Most of the religious objection evidence simply comes from overhearing my parent's talks either after church, before church, oooor whenever my dad used to do a sunday school class. The intelligence stuff is obvious, elementary stuff is easy, early middle school stuff is alright, high school stuff is hard :P

Since I just woke up, have a coffee.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #93550 on: May 27, 2015, 12:24:03 pm »

Personally, I think the important thing about cynicism is being critical and questioning stuff, not the cynicism itself. Pure cynicism tends to result in stuff not getting done.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #93551 on: May 27, 2015, 12:24:43 pm »

Isn't that basically "the most important thing about cynicism is being cynical"?
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #93552 on: May 27, 2015, 12:27:16 pm »

No, the most important thing about being cynical is being skeptical. They're not the same thing.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #93553 on: May 27, 2015, 12:47:41 pm »

So you're saying be skeptical, but not pessimistic to the point of apathy?
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #93554 on: May 27, 2015, 01:45:55 pm »

So you're saying be skeptical, but not pessimistic to the point of apathy?
That's difficult, but ideal.
Well, skepticism needs some practical limits too.  But in general, skepticism without apathy is the best mindset for making discoveries.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.
Pages: 1 ... 6235 6236 [6237] 6238 6239 ... 8167