Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6234 6235 [6236] 6237 6238 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9492397 times)

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #93525 on: May 26, 2015, 10:21:20 pm »

More perspective is always good.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Worldmaster27

• Bay Watcher
  • Doop
    • View Profile
« Reply #93526 on: May 26, 2015, 10:36:25 pm »

* Worldmaster27 hugs Caroline

It's good to know that your grandmother is supportive, even if it appears that she wouldn't be able to take care of you in the event of a falling out with your family.

I hope your problems will clear up soon. Unfortunately hope is about all I can offer you, but yeah.

In personal sads, my family is going to florida tomorrow. Which will likely consist of them keeping a closer eye on what I do since where we're staying has a pretty open floor plan. Weee. Also getting to listen to my parents complain about crowds and other people and why can't everyone be like them? will be a blast.

Also they were talking about miss Jenner (I don't know what her chosen name is, so y'know) amid earlier amid other trashing on liberal topics and yeah sorry caroline i guess when i kidnap you i cant just have you live under my bed or some crap

@homeschooling: I was homeschooled for all of middle school, and from what I can remember it was endless boredom, loneliness, and generally crap. Not a lot of religious instruction from my parents though that may have come from using the K12 curriculum thingy. I don't really have much to compare it against, but yeah. There was a lot of freedom with schedules and stuff though and I think we went to museums and stuff occasionally so y'know

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #93527 on: May 27, 2015, 12:03:22 am »

Sick sick sick sick
been popping pills all day without much effect
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #93528 on: May 27, 2015, 12:17:12 am »

Your grandmother sounds like the coolest though.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #93529 on: May 27, 2015, 12:52:14 am »

I used to be on the "zero tolerance" side of the drugs debate, but really things aren't that black and white. I'm sorry for you having to deal with intolerant parents, Caroline.

Well, I haven't posted here in a long while, eh? :P

Spoiler: Religious-y stuff (click to show/hide)

Don't intend to cause any arguments by posting this of course. Just been feeling sad about this specific topic for a while now. might as well put it on a public forum :P

I never understood why homeschooling was legal. The only situation I can imagine where it wouldn't be markedly worse than a public school education would be if the person in question lived in a really badly mismanaged inner-city school district where the principal had embezzled all the funds and all the students were heavily armed; in which case it might be about equal to a public school education.
I kind of don't understand how homeschooling hasn't been abused to create a cult yet. I mean, serial killer families are things that exist, but if it is legal to homeschool kids, why hasn't anyone attempted to use it to completely brainwash their children into perfect cultists which will do everything the parents will? What's stopping someone from pushing the concept of homeschooling to its limits?

I'm not saying homeschooling is wrong, but there should be some sort of legally obligated examination? Of course, that can easily be used to brainwash the mass, but they have as much chance of getting away with it as the public education system trying to turn students into Aleph cultists.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2015, 12:53:48 am by Cinder »
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #93530 on: May 27, 2015, 01:01:43 am »

uh

homeschooling is very much used for cult brainwashing

like it's practically a hallmark of cults to do that

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #93531 on: May 27, 2015, 01:03:40 am »

Oh.
Now I wonder why nobody has succeeded in taking over the United States and proclaiming themselves as the Overlord of South Canada yet.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #93532 on: May 27, 2015, 01:10:36 am »

Probably because the last guy to proclaim themselves emperor didn't really accomplish much beyond amusing the locals and being accepted as an eccentric but okay fellow.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #93533 on: May 27, 2015, 01:12:48 am »

Oh.
Now I wonder why nobody has succeeded in taking over the United States and proclaiming themselves as the Overlord of South Canada yet.
Mostly because the President has lots of guns. Kind of like how John Key has a bunch of swords in his office.

uh
It's one of the reasons everyone (in NZ) thinks the Reformed church is a cult.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #93534 on: May 27, 2015, 01:14:40 am »

I don't see why everyone seems to hate homeschooling. I was homeschooled for eight and a half years, because even in the top streams of all my classes at various public and private schools I spent >50% of lessons reading under my desk. "No child left behind" == "No child let ahead."

Calculus and algebra have always been pretty natural to me, because I learned about algebra when I was about eight, and knew conceptually what calculus was by the time I was ten. I knew what imaginary numbers were at ~11 and could work out trajectories by 13 because I was building scale model siege engines at home.

I can cook, bake, clean, and do very nearly everything else required of an independent adult, and have been able to for years. I 'can use a computer' (according to the recent WTF thread discussion). I can argue literature with people who have actual degrees in it, and I have a basically bottomless store of occasionally useful trivia.

I guess a public school is as good as homeschooling or better for a lot of kids, but I think I would have gone insane if I had to sit through all those years at an actual school. I'm 90% sure homeschooling was a lot better for me.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #93535 on: May 27, 2015, 01:18:46 am »

Well it's not like you can't learn outside of school hours.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #93536 on: May 27, 2015, 01:23:15 am »

Also, pretty sure you have to still pass the public school exams if you're home schooled. So. Yeah.

@Spehss: I'm not sure what you're trying to say. Yeah, you can learn outside of school hours, but what's the point? It's just a waste of time to go to a building to read for 8 hours, scribble on some paper and get a scribble back telling you how durn smart you are, and then go home and ACTUALLY learn things, instead of, you know, doing something fun and being a kid human being?
« Last Edit: May 27, 2015, 01:24:54 am by Descan »
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #93537 on: May 27, 2015, 01:29:42 am »

Well it's not like you can't learn outside of school hours.

Yes it is. My parents actually took me out of the public school system for my second stint at homeschooling because I was so worn out from being bored that when I got home I'd just sit and play computer games, which we pretty much all (in the family) agreed wasn't good.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #93538 on: May 27, 2015, 01:33:07 am »

Two things you didn't learn at homeschooling, Arx. Cynicism and Atheism.
Naturally this makes the cynics and atheists see a problem with homeschooling.

But truthfully I believe that there's a few things you can only learn when crammed into a gigantic pool of other people. I don't mean algebra and such, I mean things like 'What is weird and what is not weird'. 'How to give fun facts without appearing like a know-it-all' or 'Why having friends is better than sitting in the library alone and reading'.
I went to boarding school personally and that taught me a thousand thousand things I'd have never learned if I were home-schooled.
That being said to agree with Arx, I probably would've done Much better academically if I had've been homeschooled.

On another note, that religion angle they're talking about. You throw a kid in a religious school and they may still come out with some kind of doubt in their beliefs. If you homeschool them hard enough, it's far less of a risk.
Which does kind of make the whole 'cult' thing sound less than ludicrous.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #93539 on: May 27, 2015, 01:37:18 am »

Also, pretty sure you have to still pass the public school exams if you're home schooled. So. Yeah.

Technically all you need to do in the U.S. is pass the testing for the GED, which is legally recognized as an equivalent of a high school diploma. It is similar to tests you would take in class, though.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.
Pages: 1 ... 6234 6235 [6236] 6237 6238 ... 8167