Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6223 6224 [6225] 6226 6227 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9494555 times)

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #93360 on: May 21, 2015, 09:06:26 pm »

Had a series of homicides and a suicide in the family. Volunteered to stay with my Grandpa with dementia for a while, while the family runs out west for the funerals. Don't really know how to process what happened... schizophrenia is an awful thing, and what happened breaks my heart.

If you know people dealing with depression, psychological troubles, a difficult history or childhood, or other things however serious or benign they seem; please do what you can to help them, or help them find help for themselves. World doesn't need any more death, tragedy, or statistics.
Sweet baby Jesus H Christ. That's awful, man.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #93361 on: May 21, 2015, 11:06:56 pm »

Yeah, hang in there, dude, that's terrible.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #93362 on: May 21, 2015, 11:11:05 pm »

Soli :(
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #93363 on: May 21, 2015, 11:22:35 pm »

:'(

E: I do hope that 'shed light on mental illness' also pertains to the idea that this isn't a 'fully-exclusive' basis. Things like attitude, culture, exposure, beliefs and other things not originating from a biological origin also affect the interaction. :-\
« Last Edit: May 21, 2015, 11:26:51 pm by Tiruin »

Owlga

• Bay Watcher
  • Turbo times two
    • View Profile
« Reply #93364 on: May 21, 2015, 11:52:09 pm »

Shit like that is why Gunner-Chan is so afraid of some of her own issues, given she's also schizophrenic. From what she tells me I'm surpised she has the willpower to keep it together and live a mostly normal life.

Loads of condolences and other such things Soli. While I've never seen it go that bad I've been exposed to a lot of the effects of our failure to properly treat mental illness, and I definitely have an idea of what sort of place this all puts you in.
Quote from: Cupaketan
if u cant taek a cake, dont do a bake, in a kitchen
so u hav2 leve it ok bc its 2 hot 4u
Owlga is the chillest anime girl ever.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93365 on: May 21, 2015, 11:55:54 pm »

I feel bad having posted about that. I don't even know if that's even a thing that people should share. I didn't want to derail the thread either, or make other people feel bad for posting here.

I've read or heard these kind of stories, lost a friend to homicide before, and several people to accidents, but I don't know how to feel. It was so senseless, needless, awful. No one knows what drove him to this. They were all good people, and they got along well. My cousin's boyfriend found them all. I can't even imagine that, or why it even happened at all.

I don't feel right making it into a call for action, but I keep reflecting on all the times I've heard about things like this happening to other people. I don't even know what to do, if anything could have been done to prevent it. He needed help, but I don't know how or what could have been done. Better counselling and therapy? Research into better treatments? Support from those close to him? Gun control? Working to change our culture away from one where murder is sometimes justified in our legal system, and often in our media and fantasies?

What can we reasonably do with this information, to help stop it from happening to someone else?
« Last Edit: May 21, 2015, 11:58:21 pm by Solifuge »

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #93366 on: May 22, 2015, 12:09:43 am »

Society would have to change; not practical. Perhaps not possible. Change yourself.

Less stressful and less stress inducing towards others. Consideration from a healthy distance. Avoiding making others feel bad on purpose. Simple sayings, "I wish that didn't happen to you or anyone" instead of "get a job!"

Ultimately, many do not see mental illness as real. They are sadly mistaken. Not an excuse, or convenient, it is real. Avoiding trolling and revenge, etc. All are things that could in theory be done.... Overall, I think that may prove somewhat difficult.

Sorry for your loss. Most loss is senseless; this is perhaps moreso.
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #93367 on: May 22, 2015, 12:22:58 am »

Friendo, you have have not derailed the thread. This is a place for sads. It is okay to talk here about things that have hurt you. I'm not sure if "What Bauglir is taking away from this terrible thing that happened in somebody else's life" is helpful, but since you mention not wanting to turn anything into a call for action, I just want to reassure you that it doesn't seem like that's the message you wanted to convey here. As far as I can tell, it's not like we (or you, I think) should redefine our lives and goals in the context of this one thing. But it is something to remember; for me, I didn't know those people, so the really important stuff, the things you learned from and about them, that made them family to you, aren't part of that thing to remember, but I do think that remembering that this happened will remind me of the importance of trying to understand people and helping them if I have the chance. Not so much action as mindfulness - not seeking out people who hurt, or taking responsibility for making sure something like this never happens again, but keeping an eye out for those situations when there is something I can do to help someone who needs it.

I mean, that's what I feel like is what can be reasonably done. I don't really know, though; I'm just some jackass on the Internet, so take from that what you can use (if anything) and don't sweat the rest.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 12:29:21 am by Bauglir »
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #93368 on: May 22, 2015, 12:27:18 am »

I don't feel right making it into a call for action, but I keep reflecting on all the times I've heard about things like this happening to other people. I don't even know what to do, if anything could have been done to prevent it. He needed help, but I don't know how or what could have been done. Better counselling and therapy? Research into better treatments? Support from those close to him? Gun control? Working to change our culture away from one where murder is sometimes justified in our legal system, and often in our media and fantasies?

What can we reasonably do with this information, to help stop it from happening to someone else?
Don't think gun control would make much difference in violence related to mental health. If the problem is in the person, and the problem drives them to violence, they can perform violence either with a gun, or a knife, or fists, or a car, or whatever. The better option would be better mental health support.

The article said he had bipolar disorder and schizophrenia? Maybe he could've looked fine but was really in a really bad depression swing from the bipolar? Who knows.

I've read about incidents like this where a person with mental issues does something extreme. It's sad. It's even more sad when it's someone you know or someone that someone you know knows, because it makes the tragedy that much more real. And real tragedy is sad.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #93369 on: May 22, 2015, 01:51:20 am »

Shitballsdamn, Soli, that's some heavy shit to have to go through. My condolences with handling the aftermath.
Think personally the thing that'd really help with cases like these is changing the public perception of mental health. You still see people sometimes who say that depression is just people being lazy, or that PTSD/schizophrenics are 'wusses who need to man up', etc. It's rare, but it's not as rare as it should be.

Maybe start by featuring people going through that sort of thing in movies and TV shows and stuff. I've seen a few examples in popular movies, like the guy in American Sniper and maybe Iron Man 3, but it could be expanded.

My sads, which are really minor in comparison to Solifuge's situation but I still wanna post just to help get it off my chest: tonight work was fukcing exhausting, to the point where I thought I was gonna faint at a few points. I really have no idea how people sustain themselves through so many years of retail jobs beyond employing Stannis-like grit or somesuch.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 04:00:53 am by Xantalos »
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #93370 on: May 22, 2015, 04:10:26 am »

I don't know what to say. Well, I never know what to say, so I'm going to risk not contributing and just say that I'm sorry for what you're going through, Soli, and also other people because all sads are equally valid.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #93371 on: May 22, 2015, 08:35:25 am »

Today is shit.
For a number of reasons and for no particular reason at all, it's just shit and it's going to keep being shit until it ends. Trouble is, I'm barely halfway trough it, and I know it's going to drag on at an inhumanly slow pace.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #93372 on: May 22, 2015, 08:43:53 am »

@Xantalos: I don't know who Stannis is, but I've been retail/customer service for 8+ years. It's hell, but I keep going because a) I never want my kids to have to work the shit side of the counter (although I think everyone should, briefly, to see what it's like when they're obnoxious shits in stores,) and b) there's a light at the end of the tunnel. There really is. I swear, I can almost see it. I won't be in retail forever, right?

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #93373 on: May 22, 2015, 11:37:23 am »

I've been working in retail (grocery counts as retail, right?) for a few months now and I've never had anyone be an obnoxious shit to me. Is that where all ky luck go?

Also Stannis is apparently the Mannis.
Love, scriver~

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #93374 on: May 22, 2015, 11:55:22 am »

People need to stop treating schizophrenia as some sort of mood or condition you can just snap out of. Schzophrenia, depending on the degree of its gravity, is a pretty dangerous and very much real mental condition that afflicts a surprisingly not very small chunk of the general populace. Its among those psychological conditions that aren't just bad because they make the afflicted person's life a living hell, but can make them directly harmful to people close to them.

I myself had a cousin that suffered from a really bad case of schizophrenia and that would regulary attack her parents with knives unless she was heavily sedated. She nearly killed my aunt one day, before they actualy decided to put her in an institution. The strange thing is, she had never before shown any symptoms. True, she had some learning disabilities, but she was never actualy aggressive and was rather sociable too. To this day, doctors dont have a clear idea of how she seemingly developed schizophrenia without anyone noticing.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.
Pages: 1 ... 6223 6224 [6225] 6226 6227 ... 8167