Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6222 6223 [6224] 6225 6226 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9494501 times)

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #93345 on: May 21, 2015, 06:44:45 am »

« Last Edit: December 11, 2015, 06:18:39 pm by penguinofhonor »

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
  • This adorable animal can't work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #93346 on: May 21, 2015, 06:45:36 am »

I got that summer scholarship in Lithuania that I was hoping to get...
Now it looks like I won't be able to go.
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93347 on: May 21, 2015, 06:53:43 am »

Damn, missed the "feeling old" conversation...
Seriously though, starting to bike again has made me realize just how out of shape I am. It's really hard to motivate myself when my legs start to cramp after about 5 minutes of biking and I'm getting winded so easily. It was so easy when I was younger...

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #93348 on: May 21, 2015, 07:01:11 am »

That sounds more like latent cardiovascular and/or respiratory problems. The out-of-breath thing might very well indeed just be case of having no constitution through long inaction, but the cramp after 5 minutes thing does not sound good. Go to a doc, let him look at your leg's veins. They have pretty easy contrast fluid test for that nowadays, which can catch things like vein clotting long before it becomes a life threatening problem. I'd recommend anyone age 40 and above to take such a test. Especially if you smoked a lot, were/are obese, or have a known condition of trombosis in your family. Worst case, they find nothing, you wasted a few hours (it's a pretty non-invasive test), best case, it saves your life.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2015, 07:04:04 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93349 on: May 21, 2015, 07:53:43 am »

Ya, I've been pretty dormant and desk-jobbed for the last 5-6 years, packed on a few pounds, and have Asthma. I just need to get back in to shape, and make sure I remember to pre-dose before any long bike rides. I know that after doing it for a while, I can get to where I want to be, but man is it hard to motivate yourself...

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #93350 on: May 21, 2015, 11:53:34 am »

My maternal grandparents are really starting to show their age. Grandma's arthritis is increasing exponentially, and Grandad's starting to get a blood disease (and both of them are stubborn in a way that it takes other people prodding them for them to get the treatment they need).
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

BlitzDungeoneer

• Bay Watcher
  • heh
    • View Profile
« Reply #93351 on: May 21, 2015, 12:00:21 pm »

My brother's sick.
I mean, it's nothing serious so far, but I can't help but worry... What if it develops into something worse? It probably won't, but that's not the point.
Swordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordsword

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #93352 on: May 21, 2015, 12:04:12 pm »

Don't worry, it's probably just network connective issues.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93353 on: May 21, 2015, 01:00:33 pm »

Had a series of homicides and a suicide in the family. Volunteered to stay with my Grandpa with dementia for a while, while the family runs out west for the funerals. Don't really know how to process what happened... schizophrenia is an awful thing, and what happened breaks my heart.

If you know people dealing with depression, psychological troubles, a difficult history or childhood, or other things however serious or benign they seem; please do what you can to help them, or help them find help for themselves. World doesn't need any more death, tragedy, or statistics.

BlitzDungeoneer

• Bay Watcher
  • heh
    • View Profile
« Reply #93354 on: May 21, 2015, 01:04:08 pm »

Had a series of homicides and a suicide in the family. Volunteered to stay with my Grandpa with dementia for a while, while the family runs out west for the funerals. Don't really know how to process what happened... schizophrenia is an awful thing, and what happened breaks my heart.

If you know people dealing with depression, psychological troubles, a difficult history or childhood, or other things however serious or benign they seem; please do what you can to help them, or help them find help for themselves. World doesn't need any more death, tragedy, or statistics.
Oh.
My condolences, Solifuge.
I can only hope you make it through this.
Swordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordsword

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #93355 on: May 21, 2015, 01:53:15 pm »

Admitted to my mum that I'm pretty sure I have a rather bad problem with my gums receding or something, and she pretty much just goes, "nah I think you're fine."
Are you fucking serious there is tooth poking out from below the gumline. That is not only not normal, but also hurts.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #93356 on: May 21, 2015, 02:02:40 pm »

Okay, Solifuge, wow. I had already fulfilled my 'holy shit'-quota for the day, but you just made me fill up my entire week's worth of them. This has certainly not been a boring day for me, if no other good can be said of it. I had something to write in this thread, but I forgot what it was. Seriously, my condolences.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #93357 on: May 21, 2015, 03:18:40 pm »

Shit, son. That's... Well. I don't think there's a word that adequately describes it? Fucking awful, I guess. Good luck, for whatever that's worth, in coping.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #93358 on: May 21, 2015, 03:28:53 pm »

I feel like anything I could say would be inadequate. Just... damn. I'm sorry to hear about this. It's truly terrible.

Fully agree with the 2nd bit there though. The world would be better if we all summoned the energy to reach out to each other more often.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #93359 on: May 21, 2015, 06:55:20 pm »

I'm going to echo that sentiment. Holy shit, Solifuge, I hope you're doing ok.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting
Pages: 1 ... 6222 6223 [6224] 6225 6226 ... 8167