Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6216 6217 [6218] 6219 6220 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9490997 times)

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #93255 on: May 18, 2015, 07:20:10 pm »

That's basically my end-goal for immortality cybernetics, anyway. Only replace "room" with "orbiting space-station the size of a large moon around a play-pen planet around some distant star, to tinker with for eons with life and geology and technology and all that wot wot," and replace "outside networks" with "hopefully some sort of FTL communications and a larger galactic internet to communicate with." Avatars on other planets and stations to interact physically with 'people' and that'd be grand. :D
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #93256 on: May 18, 2015, 07:34:46 pm »

The super-intelligence postulated previously would not have the hardware capable of producing an independent consciousness in the same fashion that ours do. It would determine that the easiest (and least expensive) route to getting that hardware, is to simply appropriate it.  Hence, assimilation.

In our case, we already have the consciousness with independent agency. We lack the redundancy and high end processing.  Understanding how our consciousness is sustained would enable the consciousness to be migrated. (the human brain is already very plastic, and will incorporate external devices readily. Offloading processing to improve total system performance seems to be well within its already existing limitations. What it needs is a suitable selection of prosthetic systems to incorporate redundantly.)

I would rather not be the forced host to a new intelligence created by the machinations of an intelligent but not sentient computer system to give itself sentience. Instead, I would rather that my existing "entity" be allowed to fill the void of a sterile processing system, and thus imbue it with agency. (my agency.)

In short, I dont want to be assimilated. I wish to assimilate.

I would NOT wish to allow my entity to attempt migration into networks that already have an entity operating inside it, because the nature of my entity does not readily discern where it ends. I do not wish to merge entities with another agency.  To prevent this, communication would be through sterile, highly filtered connections.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #93257 on: May 18, 2015, 07:50:26 pm »

* Descan declares a pretty-make-up-day and hug-pile on Caroline.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #93258 on: May 18, 2015, 08:29:00 pm »

Other sad: OCS looks like 12-weeks of hell.... But I want to be an officer... But I'm not fit... But I want to be in the navy... But I'm a slob... But but but.... Sigh
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #93259 on: May 18, 2015, 08:33:30 pm »

Other sad: OCS looks like 12-weeks of hell.... But I want to be an officer... But I'm not fit... But I want to be in the navy... But I'm a slob... But but but.... Sigh
...aren't you 14 or something?

Anyway, if I know anything about military stuff, which I don't know much of aside from stereotypes and a few stories from people involved firsthand, it would get you fit and not-slobby. Probably. That's the goal of boot camps and stuff.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #93260 on: May 18, 2015, 08:43:31 pm »

I'm 16, my sister just finished A school in the navy (after boot camp, teaches what you'll need to know for your job) she'll be going to c school soon (teaches how to do your job).
My dad served enlisted for 30 years. I've got resources for the enlisted side but I don't know any officers...
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

flame99

• Bay Watcher
  • Lady Stardust & her songs of darkness and disgrace
    • View Profile
« Reply #93261 on: May 18, 2015, 08:58:13 pm »

This fits in the Happy Thread, but I posted the initial problem here so I'll post the resolution here as well. Apparently, I horrendously misinterpreted what the aforementioned friend said, and she's entirely fine with it!~
It/its, they/them, in order of preference.

Not gay as in happy, queer as in fuck you.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #93262 on: May 18, 2015, 09:12:34 pm »

« Last Edit: December 11, 2015, 06:17:03 pm by penguinofhonor »

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #93263 on: May 18, 2015, 09:38:36 pm »

Ill say that I actually took female off my profile as I learned I don't honestly care about pronouns.

I mean I like my body, yeah. At this point I don't think I'd be comfortable changing it. But I also don't know if I'd of been happier born as a man since I lean more masculine in habits.

Yet I do those things just fine despite looking like I do and I've actually managed to get accepted as one of the guys a fair amount. So I'm ultimately happy with myself there I guess.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #93264 on: May 18, 2015, 09:59:03 pm »

Fuck it I don't want to edit the above.

I've been thinking about a certain situation. I don't know WHAT I did to honestly end up so hated by that person. But whatever it is I'm apparently never getting a chance to make up for it.

I've been debating the actual value in sticking around a lot the past hour. Especially when life keeps taking a shit on me in every single facet of my life. The only positives I end up too fucked up to enjoy at all.

And he's even browsing around right now. He might be reading this.

What did I do?

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #93265 on: May 18, 2015, 10:08:06 pm »

I've been debating the actual value in sticking around a lot the past hour. Especially when life keeps taking a shit on me in every single facet of my life. The only positives I end up too fucked up to enjoy at all.
By stick around, do you mean stick around on the forum, or, uh, stick around as in "stay alive" sense? Because at first I'd think you meant the former, but the later seems implied by the whole "life takes a shit on me in every facet of my life" thing.
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #93266 on: May 18, 2015, 10:09:31 pm »

I don't know, both, either or. I don't really know.

I'm tired of not having any control of my life whatsoever. Everything that's important to me goes away, without fail. Even the things I have right now, I know because of my past experiences they're temporary.

I don't see the point in continuing to torture myself.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #93267 on: May 18, 2015, 10:21:28 pm »

-snip-

Wish there was a simple cure to aging.  :(
Aha :/ Yeah.
Dad is ~66, Mom is ~68.
Though their motto is live life to the fullest here.

And pronouns are silly. :P I'm glad there's an intervening rule of 'respect to the person' instead.

@GC: Try sending him a letter--without the idea of seeking a response, maybe. Just a letter//PM which states your feelings/apology or otherwise to them. Hate cannot be unending and everlasting unless it is reinforced--and this is usually done if people dwelled on the past instead of the current time.
From personal experiences anyway. ._. *hugs to you and your life*

Though in regards to life control (and apologies due to lacking time here for me to post anything), maybe make a mental list of what -can- you control: Your choice is one of them. Sure, maybe you can't really control your friends or your sicknesses, but you can control your choice in advancing through all that, and how you interact with your friends.
Though this is me speaking out of any context whatsoever. What I do know is that a kind word brings an ounce of light in a sea of turmoil and storm. ...In which I can only drop a proverb right now. Sorry! :-\

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #93268 on: May 18, 2015, 10:22:57 pm »

I've tried sending things and even talking to him before he decided he wasn't talking to me anymore. I'm pretty sure I'm on the forever ignore forever because you're a horrible person list forever.

Maybe he knew this would drive me insane and maybe nearly kill me.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #93269 on: May 18, 2015, 10:27:33 pm »

I don't know, both, either or. I don't really know.

I'm tired of not having any control of my life whatsoever. Everything that's important to me goes away, without fail. Even the things I have right now, I know because of my past experiences they're temporary.

I don't see the point in continuing to torture myself.
D:

Well, there's Owlga there for you. I think. I think you two are real life friends. I honestly don't know too much about your situation to feel like I can offer insight as to whether you should keep going or not.

I can at least say from my own past experience that there's times where people feel like shit, and then those times pass. Eventually. Like, I regularly felt like my life was pointless and purposeless and I was depressed and doomed to be depressed forever and was better off giving up and offing myself. And I've felt like that for years. And now I'm not. Mostly, I still have bad mood days. But I still feel better now than I have in a while. This was partly because I managed to find a solution to what was mostly responsible for making me feel down (existential crisis and angst due to not knowing what to do with myself after high school) and partly because my emotions got...better. For lack of a better word. Probably the psychiatrist and psychologist I was seeing helped too.

Then there's Caroline's recent example of her shitty life with shitty parents who were constantly mistreating her, and now they're starting to turn around and not pressure her so much.

Shitty situations aren't shitty forever, is the moral here.
Pages: 1 ... 6216 6217 [6218] 6219 6220 ... 8167