Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6214 6215 [6216] 6217 6218 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9490926 times)

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #93225 on: May 18, 2015, 12:25:16 pm »

And chances are it'll be right 90% of the time on bay12!

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #93226 on: May 18, 2015, 12:57:38 pm »

They usually works okay though there are definitely some cases where it makes sentences sound weird (in which case I usually default to him on most boards due to the common male/female ratios we've got going here), though I do always try to remember which people prefer (and sometimes check their user pages if I can't remember, though the majority of people don't seem to have their gender filled in there).
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

AlleeCat

• Bay Watcher
  • Black, the beast, descends from shadows...
    • View Profile
« Reply #93227 on: May 18, 2015, 01:14:06 pm »

And chances are it'll be right 90% of the time on bay12!
I'd say it's actually less than 90% More like 80%

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #93228 on: May 18, 2015, 01:16:42 pm »

according to the site stats, male to female ratio is 13.1 to 1, so rather more than 90% actually.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #93229 on: May 18, 2015, 01:18:55 pm »

those stats are meaningless because spambots

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #93230 on: May 18, 2015, 01:21:14 pm »

That noise is meaningless because noise.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

BlitzDungeoneer

• Bay Watcher
  • heh
    • View Profile
« Reply #93231 on: May 18, 2015, 01:21:24 pm »

That assumes they set their gender.
Cause, y'know. Not doing that is an option.
Swordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordsword

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #93232 on: May 18, 2015, 01:23:16 pm »

So? Taking the stats seriously assumes they don't.

Which is indeed an option :)

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #93233 on: May 18, 2015, 01:26:37 pm »

Singular they is a bit weird, imo.

I'm okay with using it when the person youre referring to could be anyone, e.g. "Other player has to skip their turn", but I find it a little awkward to use when referring to a specific person, e.g. "John forgot their bag".

that said, thats just like, my opinion, man.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

sjm9876

• Bay Watcher
  • Did not so much Fall as Saunter Vaguely Downwards
    • View Profile
« Reply #93234 on: May 18, 2015, 01:31:19 pm »

...I don't think I really use pronouns for people I've never seen physically in the flesh. Nor do I really think in terms of pronouns.

Which somewhat makes sense given my views on the whole gender thing, but still mildly surprising to me.
My dreams are not unlike yours - they long for the safety, and break like a glass chandelier.
But there's laughter and oh there is love, just past the edge of our fears.
And there's chaos when push comes to shove, but it's music to my ears.

Sigtext

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #93235 on: May 18, 2015, 01:36:21 pm »

Calling people "they" is the easiest way to be certain of correctness, since everybody here is Pathos, which in turn means that Pathos is multiple people and therefore merits a plural noun.

a common assumption that I had to argue against was that I'd suddenly become a completely different person

This is a late reply to make, but this is a big thing I think it's hard for some people to wrap their heads around - that (generally) when people talk about this, they're not actually changing who they are so much as affirming something they have always been but hadn't acknowledged before. 'S like, Einstein publishing things didn't actually change how physics worked. So at least for me, I figure that if I liked you before*, what difference does it make? That dynamic isn't going to change, I'm just going to understand it better.

*And I do, because Solifuge is an objectively awesome person, as are many others around here.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #93236 on: May 18, 2015, 01:50:10 pm »

Wait, does this mean I need to revise which pronoun I use to refer to you?

Spoiler: Pronouns are dumb. (click to show/hide)
^w^
I'll call you "she" if you want!
I've never really had problems switching pronouns on the fly, (except in my head, but I get words mixed up there all the time) but they/them pronouns still get me tripped up now and again.
Still, I'm pretty sure I've called Vector they/them ever since I learned that they wanted to be called that, so I'd say I'm on the right track.

Actual sad:
Normally my girlfriend sends me a good morning text. I haven't gotten one yesterday or today, and I haven't heard from her since Saturday night.
Disappearing for a while was a normal thing in previous relationships, but with Cado? Call me clingy, but I'm actually a little worried... :/
Cute-person I've been wooin' lately did the same thing for a week. Turned out their provider was a butthole and wasn't allowing texts because reasons.

Send them a message on the forum. If they get mad at it, then they're a butt, and if they are mad at you, then they should have told you rather than let you stew like a dick.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

BlitzDungeoneer

• Bay Watcher
  • heh
    • View Profile
« Reply #93237 on: May 18, 2015, 01:56:27 pm »

Wait, does this mean I need to revise which pronoun I use to refer to you?

Spoiler: Pronouns are dumb. (click to show/hide)
^w^
I'll call you "she" if you want!
I've never really had problems switching pronouns on the fly, (except in my head, but I get words mixed up there all the time) but they/them pronouns still get me tripped up now and again.
Still, I'm pretty sure I've called Vector they/them ever since I learned that they wanted to be called that, so I'd say I'm on the right track.

Actual sad:
Normally my girlfriend sends me a good morning text. I haven't gotten one yesterday or today, and I haven't heard from her since Saturday night.
Disappearing for a while was a normal thing in previous relationships, but with Cado? Call me clingy, but I'm actually a little worried... :/
Since friends help friends and all that, Ranger was, according to my time, online some 2-3 minutes ago, 5 tops.
Ya literally just missed her, so... Eh.
Swordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordsword

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #93238 on: May 18, 2015, 02:56:59 pm »

Sick today. Pepto-Bismol sick. I'll leave it at that  :-\
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #93239 on: May 18, 2015, 03:14:35 pm »

That assumes they set their gender.
Cause, y'know. Not doing that is an option.
Actually for some reason the vast majority of spambots that have shown up on this site register as female. For quite a while the forum stats actually said that we had something like a 3:1 female to male ratio (as in, 3x as many girls as guys). It's obviously getting closer as Toady finishes wiping out the remaining spambots, but if anything I'd say we probably have slightly less females than that ratio says we do.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.
Pages: 1 ... 6214 6215 [6216] 6217 6218 ... 8167