Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6205 6206 [6207] 6208 6209 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9480083 times)

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #93090 on: May 13, 2015, 05:46:06 am »

« Last Edit: December 07, 2015, 02:44:35 pm by penguinofhonor »

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #93091 on: May 13, 2015, 08:29:25 am »

I've needed braces since forever, but I was never given them as a kid...

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #93092 on: May 13, 2015, 08:34:34 am »

My teeth were really bad as a kid, but the corrective process was long and very painful. Still it's over now and I get to keep the result, but man, oh, man did I constantly wish it to be done with. After apointments where the tightness was adjusted was the worst.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #93093 on: May 13, 2015, 09:03:46 am »

« Last Edit: December 07, 2015, 02:44:41 pm by penguinofhonor »

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #93094 on: May 13, 2015, 11:10:18 am »

Aagh, the terms braces and retainer confuse me.
I know the Dutch terms, but I cant translate them properly :x

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #93095 on: May 13, 2015, 02:31:49 pm »

Dentistry. I have it. Two more fillings. Joy of fucking joys.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93096 on: May 13, 2015, 04:16:07 pm »

I am very frustrated with myself right now. After a productive all-nighter, I finish 2 papers early in the morning at the uni library, get them printed out, email the digital copies, now just to wait 40 minutes for class to begin. I'd meant to go wait by the door, but suddenly I'm waking up in the library, an hour past the end of class. Great. Fucking great. That's 4 absences out of 20 sessions this quarter.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #93097 on: May 13, 2015, 04:27:42 pm »

So now that it's summer the new guy above me has apparently decided that it's time to start smoking his marijuana with all of his windows open, which means that I can't open any of my windows without the whole condo quickly smelling strongly of weed (it's a windy place, so the smell quickly tends to rush in through any open doors/etc.). As best as I can tell this condominium collection doesn't have any rules about smoking, and looking at the AZ laws there doesn't seem to be any good ways to get a change here (and I'm living in property that my parents own, so it's not like I can just "move somewhere else"). :-\
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

AlleeCat

• Bay Watcher
  • Black, the beast, descends from shadows...
    • View Profile
« Reply #93098 on: May 13, 2015, 05:33:59 pm »

Plus, if you couldn't before, you'll soon learn how to roll your R's.
Believe it or not, I actually learned how to roll my Rs from speaking Japanese.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93099 on: May 13, 2015, 07:16:00 pm »

UGH! I didn't think my haircut could get worse but it did >_<

I look like that Jerk from Big Bang Theory... err wait that could be anyone from that show... Uhhh the male lead... except worse because there is some Justin Bieber mixed in there.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #93100 on: May 13, 2015, 07:40:13 pm »

In my case, I have both two permanent wires on my teeth, and a removeable retainer for my upper jaw. I have to put it in all the time for 3~6 months, then nightly afterwards. After 2 years, only one night a week.

These are the instructions my dentist gave me, too. Then I went and got sick of it after a couple months and gave up. Also, because it was painful to get it on/off. But now my lower jaw is weird again. Stick with the program.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93101 on: May 13, 2015, 08:07:56 pm »

Glad to be done with all that hardware. Retainers seem to gain the ability to generate slime out of nothing.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #93102 on: May 13, 2015, 11:37:36 pm »

Yeah, a lot of that sort of thing is pretty common. And usually, not actually about the youth, but merely a projection of themselves and their desires onto the youth. Some common moral crisis themes I always heard growing up:
1. Entitled youths who think everything is owed to them. Reality: Median youth working more for less if jobs can be found at all; those stating these things expect they deserve better pay/better jobs purely because of seniority.
2. Youths eating nothing but McDonalds/junk food. Reality: McDonalds failing to turn a profit due to lack of young, new consumers, as they transition to less overtly unhealthy restaurants.
3. Materialism; youths care only about stuff. Reality: Through a combination of choice and economy, youths buy less, and smaller things. (as a result, I also strongly suspect we will have another housing market crash in the US in the next decade, likely larger than the 09 crash) More money is spent on travel and similar 'experience' type goods. Meanwhile, those stating these things cared more about stuff than pretty much any other generation.

And the list goes on; but basically, it's just a means of critiquing the way they see themselves by subconsciously projecting their own flaws onto someone they don't feel uncomfortable criticizing.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #93103 on: May 14, 2015, 12:00:50 am »

Yeah, a lot of that sort of thing is pretty common. And usually, not actually about the youth, but merely a projection of themselves and their desires onto the youth. Some common moral crisis themes I always heard growing up:
This, C.
Beware of generalizing statements used by others and how they are being used to teach, and apply insight into understanding them--usually this just says 'this is as far as I see things' instead of 'ITS ACTUALLY TRUE THAT NOBODY FLIPPIN' CARES'. When detailing social worries and morals, one usually describes things in a mix of abstract and concrete facts, where the meaning is not specifically direct in the words at times, or describes the general overview. The first initial impression, usually emotionally supported than logically supported when describing in general.

Especially when poking at the bias of the generation--that was a sad I poked at earlier. People can laud those kinds of speeches, yet they are still left without understanding the root: Individual Attitude. There's the tendency for counter-productivity to actually occur despite the emotive impact being seemingly productive (ie I can rant about how this generation is {x} and {negative idea like RUINING STUFF}, [and yet my attitude seems counter productive because I don't necessarily uphold the idea countering that {ie Respecting others or Practicing Virtue})

So...in actually combating those superficial notions ( 'decay in the morals of our society', how nobody 'has values anymore' ), practice virtue instead. Those have no meaning if they are really not-fitting in reality. Morals do not decay--they stagnate when being used differently. This begins in people's attitudes.
...Also combat homophobia with understanding. Poke at it, at least, from a research perspective. Let them be aware instead of leaving them in constant perceptual bias. Sometimes, exposure to what -really- exists rather than what is initially perceived must be done. [ie In poking the mistake of some LGBT groups, how would one counter the disrespect towards them, if the acts by which they present themselves appear similar to the idea; rather than going against conformity, it may just be counter productive. If one moves towards being respected, act first with respect.]
Probably also learn how to efficiently communicate, and express yourself. An adage I heard (and see constantly applied internationally today) is 'Efficient Communication can surmount many problems'.

But is there any good here? Yes there is--you may take what you see, and notice the mechanisms which lead to those things, or stay at the surface and dwell on only the verbal impact. In reading or hearing within what they say, you can then discover what actually makes these reasonable for them. Then being proactive, probably discussing the idea and making them aware of their own actions too. But *hugs* to you, therapy moves to help the person, be aware on how to help themselves.

We're all part of the new generation. Let better ideas take root to pass on to the next.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2015, 12:08:07 am by Tiruin »

Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum

« Reply #93104 on: May 14, 2015, 12:25:42 am »

A clock ticking in the middle of of the night... A faint glow from the kitchen... The scent of blood on the air...
It reminds me of my grandparents. I miss them, and I kind of doubt I'll ever see them again. And even if I do, they've been slowly going insane for years.  :'(

*self-deprecating rant removed, because who cares anyways?*
Pages: 1 ... 6205 6206 [6207] 6208 6209 ... 8167