Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6204 6205 [6206] 6207 6208 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9486441 times)

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #93075 on: May 13, 2015, 12:16:14 am »

[...]shrink[...]
I don't feel well when this is being used as a term to describe people working in the mental health field. :-\
It sounds  :(
A shrink psychiatrist helps you take nasty burdens off your head and heart, effectively 'shrinking' them. That's how I understand it, at least.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #93076 on: May 13, 2015, 12:17:51 am »

The origin of the word "shrink" is actually from the term "headshrinker", which was originally used to tie what they were doing to your head in a strange fashion to the semi-famous shrinking of actual human heads by the Jivaro Amazonian tribe.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #93077 on: May 13, 2015, 12:19:22 am »

The origin of the word "shrink" is actually from the term "headshrinker", which was originally used to tie what they were doing to your head in a strange fashion to the semi-famous shrinking of actual human heads by the Jivaro Amazonian tribe.
Aha x_x
That's the only context I knew about (other than what was typed above that I forgot to place).

...Woohoo~? We are strange mind magicians.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #93078 on: May 13, 2015, 12:24:44 am »

My sinuses have been super stuffed all day so I've had a sinus headache and general clogged head feeling and it's made me even less productive than usual. Bluh. Bluh bluh bluh.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #93079 on: May 13, 2015, 12:25:18 am »

Some lighter sads:

I was incredibly hyped for Nightwish's first studio album with Floor Jansen (my favorite singer), but I've found the end result sadly underwhelming.  Floor's a powerhouse, and they barely made any use of it.

And for my birthday, my parents gave me money to buy a mechanical keyboard for work, because I didn't know what kind I wanted.  I've found exactly what I want in the Ducky Zero, but can't find it in stock anywhere.
This may do it. I proceeded as far as I dared and everything seemed legit as far as shipping into the United States. Hope it helps.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #93080 on: May 13, 2015, 01:56:47 am »

The psychologist wants to refer me to a psychiatrist, on the off-chance that they'll prescribe some useful medication. But DHB waiting lists are a month or two long, apparently, so I probably won't be able to see a psychiatrist before the semester ends.
My GP (who has made the referral) has suggested that I start taking antidepressants sooner (i.e. next week) rather than later (a month or two from now).

So yeah. No idea what to make of this right now.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #93081 on: May 13, 2015, 02:35:39 am »

Instead of braces I have a retainer now. Speaking is hard and if I try to make myself sound like I don't have something in my mouth I kinda feel like gagging.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #93082 on: May 13, 2015, 02:37:14 am »

That'll pass after a week or so. Believe me, it's far better than having the pressure and the constant little metal daggers cutting up your mouth. Plus, if you couldn't before, you'll soon learn how to roll your R's.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #93083 on: May 13, 2015, 02:43:20 am »

Instead of braces I have a retainer now. Speaking is hard and if I try to make myself sound like I don't have something in my mouth I kinda feel like gagging.
Huh. You have to wear it constantly? I just have to wear mine at night while asleep. Congrats on getting the braces off though.
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #93084 on: May 13, 2015, 03:04:26 am »

My braces never hurt me, ever. Apart from when they were recently adjusted.
And apparently night retainers are a thing for after braces to keep your teeth from moving back (in my case, they just glued two expensive wires to the back of my teeth to keep them from moving)

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #93085 on: May 13, 2015, 03:10:59 am »

Huh. You have to wear it constantly? I just have to wear mine at night while asleep. Congrats on getting the braces off though.
Braces =/= Retainers, silly cat :P
Retainers must be worn constantly, so as to retain the position of the teeth. Remove them and live with them for quite a while despite them not being fully fixated ==....well, a longer time wearing them. :I
Seriously. Wear them.
As someone who has lost their retainers and gotten new ones, I'm really speaking from objective experience.
Gahhhhhh so pricey. And so more time! ;_;
Though...you can speak to your dentist to tell what is bothering you about your retainers. They'll improve the fit for free.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #93086 on: May 13, 2015, 03:41:37 am »

...You definitely do not put on/remove braces at edtime...

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #93087 on: May 13, 2015, 03:57:32 am »

Yeah braces are the ones you need to keep in. I should know as I had a set for quite some time.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #93088 on: May 13, 2015, 04:12:11 am »

My braces never hurt me, ever. Apart from when they were recently adjusted.
And apparently night retainers are a thing for after braces to keep your teeth from moving back (in my case, they just glued two expensive wires to the back of my teeth to keep them from moving)
Yeah, I had a friend years back who had a metal wire retainer thing like that. Mine are just plastic shaped to a mold taken from my teeth. One of my roommates also has plastic retainers. I had figured plastic mold retainers had become the norm.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #93089 on: May 13, 2015, 04:29:35 am »

In my case, I have both two permanent wires on my teeth, and a removeable retainer for my upper jaw. I have to put it in all the time for 3~6 months, then nightly afterwards. After 2 years, only one night a week.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward
Pages: 1 ... 6204 6205 [6206] 6207 6208 ... 8167