Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6177 6178 [6179] 6180 6181 ... 8168

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9495164 times)

Worldmaster27

• Bay Watcher
  • Doop
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #92670 on: May 01, 2015, 05:49:37 pm »

It's fine! That's kind of really funny. You see, it's a Doctor Who thing. You probably haven't watched the show.

But, he's basically dying and regenerates into somebody else.
Huh, I'm funny when I'm tired it seems. And yeah, I don't watch Doctor Who though I recognized that it was such.

@downloading; I'll second the firefox add-on thing, I've used it for some things and it has worked fine. I can't say anything about the others as I haven't used them before.

also *hugs* for anyone who needs it

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #92671 on: May 01, 2015, 05:50:56 pm »

Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #92672 on: May 01, 2015, 05:54:27 pm »

He ninja'd me, so what? :v
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #92673 on: May 01, 2015, 06:09:56 pm »

Thank you ever so much, that worked. I appreciate it.
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #92674 on: May 01, 2015, 06:14:12 pm »

He ninja'd me, so what? :v
Nothing, I just thought it was funny.

Anyway, in unrelated sads, I had a shower and noticed that yet more of my hair is falling out. This is not indicative of anything good.
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92675 on: May 01, 2015, 06:35:05 pm »

I am so sorry to hear that Orange Wizard. Our society is vain and wrongly obsessed with appearance. While it may not be "the worst" thing that can happen to you, it's not easy seeing that in the mirror I'm sure. It's a concept of self that changes and appears to diminish and that's difficult and should be thought of as wrong in a perfect world.

Rather than how we look, we should be considered on our qualities, our actions, our kindness, our inner qualities. Instead we have a society where we gawk at celebrities walking down the red carpet at the Emmy Award Show. 

Please know that though I will never see you in person, I would never look at you one bit differently.

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #92676 on: May 01, 2015, 06:50:46 pm »

*Screams internally at my own denseness*

A girl offered me her phone number and I turned her down on autopilot. I mean in the context of it I'm pretty sure she was just being nice and trying to get me to be more social, but still.

And that is why I facepalmed on my way home.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2015, 07:20:22 pm by Furtuka »
It's FEF, not FEOF

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #92677 on: May 01, 2015, 07:17:16 pm »

I disagree with Truean, because I love a society which vilifies those who don't live up to its expectations. It's essentially social Darwinism, so I wanna see where it goes.
However for me, baldness doesn't really factor into that. There's plenty of hollywood stars with thinning hair, and I've gone bald a few times on a whim and would honestly have no qualms going back to it if it was damn easier to maintain.

In other news OW, are you stressing too much?

In other-other news:
Great. Fucking great. I panic a little bit and now everybody in my game thread hates me and won't post actions.

Was worried you were talking about ours for a sec.
But yes, I've had people bail on a game before. It's freaking troubling. You'll be 'k.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92678 on: May 01, 2015, 07:32:05 pm »

^^^ Gandalf Speech Ultimately, we may need our Gollums.

"Many that live deserve death, and some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them Frodo?
Do not be too eager to deal out death and judgment. Even the very wise cannot see all ends...."

"It was pity that stayed Bilbo's hand .... The pity of Bilbo may rule the fate of Men."
« Last Edit: May 01, 2015, 07:36:29 pm by Truean »

Please don't quote me.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #92679 on: May 01, 2015, 08:02:17 pm »

In other news OW, are you stressing too much?
That's one way of putting it.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #92680 on: May 01, 2015, 09:22:34 pm »

My siblings copy of "Invitation to the Game" has reached the state where if we try to read it it will fall apart.

Just as my bi-monthly hankering for it has started up again...
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

AlleeCat

• Bay Watcher
  • Black, the beast, descends from shadows...
    • View Profile
« Reply #92681 on: May 01, 2015, 09:55:51 pm »

Great. Fucking great. I panic a little bit and now everybody in my game thread hates me and won't post actions.
TBH, you do panic a lot, and you tend to jump to conclusions and assume the worst. It might be good to do that less.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #92682 on: May 01, 2015, 10:10:38 pm »

Why do people always feel the need to rebrand fasting and prop it up with pseudoscience? Excluding surgery and weird pills and shit, it's probably the least pleasant way to lose weight and carries the most risks. We try very hard to get teenagers not to do it. But as soon as you hit 18 and it's a fad diet, everyone's all for it.

It's not an effective weight-losing strategy, either. But for that matter, nor is surgery, and at the moment there's no effective weight-loss drug in the market (at the moment you basically have either fat-absorption inhibitors, which if not coupled with diet result in not losing weight AND horrendous diarrhea, and.. uhm... amphetamines. Neither are a good solution). And surgery is of limited effectivite both short and long term.
Healthy diets and exercise are likely the "most" effective weight reduction strategy, medium and long term. But this is not saying much. As with the others, even in ideal conditions weight tends to rebound. And then, it's not exactly easy to follow them, or make them compatible with daily life. And therein lies the answer: I think people jump onto fad diets because the problem is real and options are limited.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92683 on: May 01, 2015, 10:28:44 pm »

Anyway, in unrelated sads, I had a shower and noticed that yet more of my hair is falling out. This is not indicative of anything good.
I am so sorry to hear that Orange Wizard. Our society is vain and wrongly obsessed with appearance. While it may not be "the worst" thing that can happen to you, it's not easy seeing that in the mirror I'm sure. It's a concept of self that changes and appears to diminish and that's difficult and should be thought of as wrong in a perfect world.

Hey Orange. I'm in the same boat as far as hair thinning is concerned, though with some added baggage. I got all my Dad's reasonably handsome, hirsute, and bald genes, combined with a fairly feminine gender-expression, and a difficult relationship with having masculine identifiers (baldness, beard, etc) in my physical appearance. The usual Gender Is Complex stuff, etc. I encourage acceptance, if that is comfortable to you... but the Transhumanist in me would argue that there's nothing wrong with using technology and tools to circumvent biology, if you want to have hair your genes don't intend for you to have.

Anyway, much like when my voice dropped a bit and my beard came in, or when people stopped confusing me for a girl and started calling me "Sir/Man" all the time... the idea of balding was upsetting to me in a way that was hard to explain, and which I'd subconsciously just accepted as not worth worrying about. I had bigger things to deal with while growing up. Now that I've had some time to think about it, and my relationship with my biological sex and gender expression, I decided I didn't want to lose my hair.

Personally I'd really like to go in for something like an APCDD1-derived Hormone Therapy to keep hair follicles from switching off in the most direct and non-invasive way possible, once the tech is perfected. In the meantime I actually started on topical Minoxidil around 4 months ago, stopped losing hair after a short shedding period, got that back, and recently started to see it coming in a bit thicker too. Once I figure my Gender Identity things out the rest of the way, I might end up doing hormone-type things that will also take care of the balding, but Minoxidil is a cheap stopgap until then. Maybe something like that would work for you?

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #92684 on: May 02, 2015, 12:32:16 am »

I should clarify that I'm not especially worried about going bald. Although that might change if it starts becoming a serious issue - I still have plenty of hair for the time being. That said, a bald someone in their late teens/early twenties would be a bit unusual, to say the least.
Gender identity/expression/etcetera has never been a concern of mine either, as you might have guessed from the number of people upset with my opinions on the matter.

In any case, the drain clogged with hair bothers me because it's a reminder of the sorry state my mental health is in, and that despite my best efforts (whatever those are worth), I'm decisively losing any fight I try to put up. The whole process is very stressful. This is one of more apparent symptoms.

I do appreciate the concern, though. You just might want to save it for someone more deserving next time.
Pages: 1 ... 6177 6178 [6179] 6180 6181 ... 8168