Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6161 6162 [6163] 6164 6165 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9466120 times)

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #92430 on: April 26, 2015, 02:09:34 pm »

There's more to do at prom than just dancing with a date. Your friends will be there, won't they? And chances are, as the school tends to put a lot of money into proms (relatively speaking), there'll be things like karaoke, catering, contests, etc.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92431 on: April 26, 2015, 02:12:54 pm »

Seconding HugoLuman... if you don't want to be alone at Prom, then don't be! Sit with friends, mingle with people you know, dance on the floor with strangers, whatever you're comfortable with. I made the mistake of feeling pressured to take a date to my Senior Prom, though I was single... ended up taking the sister of one of my friends, who I didn't know very well and had little in common with. Turns out she was expecting a Date date, I felt awful every time I got up to go be with friends, and I think we both had a bummer of a time because of it.

If one thing she does upsets me any more than something else it's when she says I'm the malt important thing to her or that God meant for us to be together and then almost never really cares to do anything with me besides hang out occasionally and eat dinner together once in a long while. Then get pissed and upset at me for not wording a good night text properly or not saying I love you the right way.

We're all people. We're all confusing and complicated and nonsensical about some things. She probably means what she says, and probably isn't aware of the differing standards she holds you and her to. Might also see things differently than you do; spending alone time watching TV could rank pretty highly on her personal list of Things To Do To Show You Love People, even if it doesn't rank as highly on yours. That last bit sounds like inappropriately lashing out... but again, people are complicated, and have histories and reasons for these things. And with awareness, we can work on 'em.

That's what communication and building an understanding is all about! It's tough to know what questions to ask sometimes, and can be tough to provide answers that are absolutely true, because self-knowledge is such a spotty thing sometimes. We can only try to make our way forward, doing the best we can with what we have. Have courage, and good luck.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2015, 02:15:56 pm by Solifuge »

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #92432 on: April 26, 2015, 02:21:08 pm »

I have no friends besides that one group that would be slightly embarrassing to be with (being the only guy and knowing only own of them) none of my other friends are going. I've said that like five times.

I'm not sure how much money went into prom this year but ya if there are other things I guess I could do those by myself and have a good time
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

technicallyAdventurer

• Bay Watcher
  • Denizen of Above User in a Nutshell.
    • View Profile
« Reply #92433 on: April 26, 2015, 03:05:32 pm »

My mom is drinking wine, again. Keeps feeding our dogs pretzels even after I told her that they can choke on them.
Although rare in most lands, the technicallyAdventurer is a common sight in the User Above You threads.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #92434 on: April 26, 2015, 03:55:55 pm »

If one thing she does upsets me any more than something else it's when she says I'm the malt important thing to her or that God meant for us to be together and then almost never really cares to do anything with me besides hang out occasionally and eat dinner together once in a long while. Then get pissed and upset at me for not wording a good night text properly or not saying I love you the right way.
That... sounds really unhealthy. And kinda sorta potentially abusive.

Does it? I didn't think it was that bad I just thought it was her being her...

This kind of thing is emotional abuse.  She's getting inside your hide and creeping in emotional leverage over you.  It seems small now, but putting up with that stuff leads to precedents in the relationship that grow into much worse things.  If it's just something that's happened a couple times and didn't go beyond isolated incidents that could be written off as being in a bad mood or whatever, then fine.  But if it's a pattern of behavior, then there's a serious problem.  Especially when this is coupled with attempts to socially isolate you.  Once again, if she's uncomfortable with you doing something once in a while that's fine.  But if there's a pattern of her trying to wedge herself in between you and social interaction with other people, and she always puts up a lot of drama about her emotional needs without any compromise... it's serious red flags.  I'm very familiar with these behaviors.  They typically culminate in ultimatums delivered in the form of suicide attempts.  "Belong exclusively to me or you're responsible for hurting me, and I know you can't live with that."
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #92435 on: April 26, 2015, 04:05:34 pm »

And how do I deal with that?
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #92436 on: April 26, 2015, 04:06:43 pm »

Run for the proverbial hills?
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #92437 on: April 26, 2015, 04:13:10 pm »

And how do I deal with that?

Don't put up with it.  Have a completely no bullshit attitude about how that behavior is not ok, and you're not going to validate it.  Don't turn cold.  But you're safe to ignore her when she blows up petty issues.  If she's not listening to you or engaging you in a mature fashion, then simply exit the scene.  When she makes unreasonable demands and refuses your attempts to compromise, then simply state that she's being unfair and do what you think is fair.  If she tries to do something drastic, then offer to find her professional help.  She will either adjust or end the relationship.  If she will not adjust, then you're better off ending the relationship.  If you still care about her, then stay in touch and offer her support as a friend. 

I've seen several emotionally abusive relationships first-hand, and they're no joke.  You also mention that she has serious family issues, and in every case I've witnessed, the abusive person came from an abusive family background.

And I'm not saying that things are necessarily as serious as I'm making out here.  Just that you've hinted at the three biggest red flags I've learned to recognize.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2015, 04:20:34 pm by SalmonGod »
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #92438 on: April 26, 2015, 04:16:14 pm »

I want to go to this local game store and see about finding a DnD group but my social anxiety is acting up and as a result I'm reluctant to even leave the house. I'd be totally awkward at the game store and it'd be embarrassing and even though I want to go I don't want to go and aaaaaaa.

Maybe I'll just go tomorrow. Or the day after tomorrow. Maybe.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

BlitzDungeoneer

• Bay Watcher
  • heh
    • View Profile
« Reply #92439 on: April 26, 2015, 04:17:57 pm »

I want to go to this local game store and see about finding a DnD group but my social anxiety is acting up and as a result I'm reluctant to even leave the house. I'd be totally awkward at the game store and it'd be embarrassing and even though I want to go I don't want to go and aaaaaaa.

No, Spehss_. You will go today. You can do this! You can play this! You can win this!
Gogogo soldier! Tonight you play DnD!
Swordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordsword

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
« Reply #92440 on: April 26, 2015, 04:19:17 pm »

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #92441 on: April 26, 2015, 04:20:11 pm »

No, Spehss_, just go, gamers are mostly cool people who are happy to talk about their games and characters (often long after you have stopped caring and just want them to stop), they are just as socially awkward as you and have just as much trouble with interpersonal stuff,  I've been in PnP for twenty years and I'm married, but I'm still a geek, okay?  They aren't going to lynch you, really, just go to the game store and start asking questions, its how we all started.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

BlitzDungeoneer

• Bay Watcher
  • heh
    • View Profile
« Reply #92442 on: April 26, 2015, 04:27:49 pm »

I relate to the dog.
Right in the feels :(
My eyes are watering right now.
Swordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordsword

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #92443 on: April 26, 2015, 04:36:09 pm »

At least your town's big enough to have game stores that aren't incredibly dubious.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92444 on: April 26, 2015, 04:54:51 pm »

I relate to the dog.

Oof. It'd be dishonest for me not to relate to the guy, too.

Being Where You Are is hard, sometimes. Stepping outside yourself, and appreciating what you have, while you have it. Takes practice, intent, vigilance, self-awareness... tricky stuff, in my experience. Probably tricky stuff for anyone.
Pages: 1 ... 6161 6162 [6163] 6164 6165 ... 8167