Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6157 6158 [6159] 6160 6161 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9464543 times)

AlleeCat

• Bay Watcher
  • Black, the beast, descends from shadows...
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #92370 on: April 25, 2015, 12:05:57 pm »

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/15/magazine/how-one-stupid-tweet-ruined-justine-saccos-life.html?_r=1

Yeknow, suddenly this whole thing seems worse.
Can someone summarise this? I lost interest after no-one attempted to hijack or blow up the plane.
Basically someone makes a single stupid comment and their life gets completely ruined because of it. Of course, I don't approve of any of the things these people said or did but you don't completely ruin someone's entire life over a single tweet. I've probably said some stupid things in the past but I'd rather not be forced off the internet because of them.

Seriously? Guy gets fired for making a penis joke to his friend? What the hell is that about?

In other news, to the guy I live with sitting next to me: Take a shower. It smells like you haven't in a week. I know we have them, and I know they work. I hate breathing through my mouth.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #92371 on: April 25, 2015, 12:13:12 pm »

Have you considered telling them as opposed to telling random internet people via an anpnymous forum? To me that seems much more likely to bring about success and wellsmellingness.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

AlleeCat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92372 on: April 25, 2015, 12:21:12 pm »

I can't, unfortunately. There's been a no contact order between us for a while now.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #92373 on: April 25, 2015, 12:28:57 pm »

So you're sitting together?
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

AlleeCat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92374 on: April 25, 2015, 12:30:39 pm »

Yes. There are two computers next to each other in this room. He is (was) on one, and I am on one.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #92375 on: April 25, 2015, 12:56:29 pm »

Leave an anonymous note telling him he's a stinkyface. Play oblivious to its existance if asked about it.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #92376 on: April 25, 2015, 01:19:28 pm »

Even better, leave hotel-size shampoo on his desk :D
If you don't mind me asking: Why is there a no-contact order?
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #92377 on: April 25, 2015, 01:23:36 pm »

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/15/magazine/how-one-stupid-tweet-ruined-justine-saccos-life.html?_r=1

Yeknow, suddenly this whole thing seems worse.
Can someone summarise this? I lost interest after no-one attempted to hijack or blow up the plane.
Basically someone makes a single stupid comment and their life gets completely ruined because of it. Of course, I don't approve of any of the things these people said

I do. That was a funny joke
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

AlleeCat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92378 on: April 25, 2015, 01:42:42 pm »

Even better, leave hotel-size shampoo on his desk :D
If you don't mind me asking: Why is there a no-contact order?
Because of a thing that happened a couple months ago which I've already posted about on this very thread. It's honestly kind of hard to explain quickly.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #92379 on: April 25, 2015, 04:09:47 pm »

Oh hey that giant essay is due this Monday, not the one following like I had thought. oops
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #92380 on: April 25, 2015, 05:50:03 pm »

I don't even know what to say anymore, I can't enjoy anything anymore or feel anything except angry and my family refuses to do anything about it, except for my brother who insists on making it worse for his own amusement because he's a sadistic piece of shit.

Also, I can only ever spend time with that piece of shit. I have no friends to speak of because I'm too cold to allow people to get to know me. Even my family doesn't actually have any idea what I'm really like, and instead I have to deal with being labeled as having whatever kind of personality they think I have. I'm never going to ask that girl out because I'm too scared of expressing myself to people.

The fact that people act like I still have some reason not to kill myself at this point is fucking ridiculous.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #92381 on: April 25, 2015, 06:13:59 pm »

I don't even know what to say anymore, I can't enjoy anything anymore or feel anything except angry
I've felt like this. Don't feel like it now. Doesn't mean I won't feel like this in the future, either, but I don't feel like it now.

The fact that people act like I still have some reason not to kill myself at this point is fucking ridiculous.
I've also felt like this. Multiple times. Don't feel like this at the moment either. Will probably feel like this again in the future, but not at the moment.

Emotions are temporary. Eventually you feel different. Suicide is permanent. When you're dead, you're dead. You probably won't feel less dead after you're dead.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

AlleeCat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92382 on: April 25, 2015, 06:33:30 pm »

Unless reincarnation is a thing in which case you'll get better eventually. But I wouldn't count on it.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #92383 on: April 25, 2015, 06:46:01 pm »

Emotions are temporary. Eventually you feel different.
This is not true in that generality. I firmly believe that any honest discussion of suicide should acknowledge the possibility of treatment-resistant depression and other such illnesses.

That having been said, you shouldn't kill yourself. I'd bet a whole lot of money on you not being such a person.
The Bay12 postcard club

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #92384 on: April 25, 2015, 07:21:09 pm »

Emotions are temporary. Eventually you feel different.
This is not true in that generality. I firmly believe that any honest discussion of suicide should acknowledge the possibility of treatment-resistant depression and other such illnesses.
...Well yeah, there's that possibility. I was just saying that based on my personal experience, the suicidal feelings come and go.

Obviously, personal experience of one person may not apply to another and as such your mileage may vary.

Unless reincarnation is a thing in which case you'll get better eventually. But I wouldn't count on it.
I said "probably won't get less dead". Probably.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.
Pages: 1 ... 6157 6158 [6159] 6160 6161 ... 8167