Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6126 6127 [6128] 6129 6130 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9473572 times)

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #91905 on: April 16, 2015, 08:12:25 am »

Surprise! I'm not quite gone yet!

Okay, okay, I just stopped lurking for a bit, because it's that time. Summer time. A bit of a background, I'm still a college student, wasting away the hours given on this summer break because I have no mandatory classes during this period of time. That said, it had got me thinking, I am actually very starved for meaningful social interaction.

I look at Facebook, see all those people doing this and that, but at the end of the day, I realize I have nothing in common with them and, when I think about it, never befriended them at all. "Oh, this guy likes fishing", "Oh hey, it's that guy; they're having fun with their vacation!", "Oh look at them, they've developed a meaningful connection - a romance!"

And me? I barely get any text.

I realize I spend so much time lurking around forums and looking at instant messengers very stalkerishly; a yearning for me to chat to anyone about anything at all, so that I wouldn't have to be stuck thinking and chatting to myself in my head.

I hate this feeling - this lonely feeling.

Fakedit: Was planning to post this on Life Advice, but I realize, I have no problem needing to be answered; I already know the answer to this, but something within me is preventing it to come to pass. Sigh.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #91906 on: April 16, 2015, 09:18:41 am »

I can't do this any more. Either I can keep going and inevitably suffer from the same horseshit I put up with every day of my life, for the rest of my life, or I can just exchange a short period of intense pain for eternal bliss, and nothing will matter anymore. Either I can just listen to people telling me not to do it because ERMAHGERD IT GETS BETTER and keep on living when it would serve no purpose, or I can just not.

You've probably heard enough emotional appeals, so have one based on facts.
Chances are, you'll fail. Depending on the method, that failure can leave you in a much worse situation.
Without evidence of an afterlife, you may exchange unpleasantness for extreme unpleasantness and then be gone.

There are 20 - 25 attempts at suicide for every success.1

For young people - as I think you are - between 15 and 24, the odds of you succeeding are between 100 to 200: 1 against.2 Not a great chance, there.

Of course, depending on the method, you might still fuck up your body anyway. Shoot youself in the head? You might leave yourself merely paralysed, or a dribbling vegetable. Perhaps you'll just blow your eyes out your skull and leave yourself blind, or vaporise your jaw and leave yourself disfigured.

Maybe you think of cutting your wrist. Well, you didn't die, but you severed a tendon in your wrist, and now your hand will never work right again. It's not an overly successful method. The human body does try its best not to die.

Perhaps drugs. A 42:1 chance sounds like your thing. Well, no, you're not one of the "lucky" ones. After suffering for a while, your parents find you passed out. You suffer brain and organ damage, and have to live in a care facility.

All potentials that can and have happened.

Suicide is not a pleasant thing. It is not an easy thing, either.
It's not the answer.

1 World Health Organisation, Preventing suicide - A global imperative, 2014: www.who.int/mental_health/suicide-prevention/world_report_2014/en/.

2 USA Suicide 2012 Official Final Data: CW Drapeau & JL McIntosh for the American Association of Suicidology October 2014 (from www.suicidology.org/Portals/14/docs/Resources/FactSheets/2012datapgsv1d.pdf).
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #91907 on: April 16, 2015, 09:29:23 am »

That's a slightly dishonest presentation, methinks. What one really has to look at is individual methods of suicide, especially the various drugs that can be used. Sleeping pills are what's commonly thought of as a 'suicide drug', but they don't work anymore ever since barbiturates were replaced by benzodiazepines.
As a general rule the more violent methods are more likely to lead to success, but they're also more painful and have a higher chance of inflicting lasting damage. It's one of the reasons that men are on average more successful at committing suicide than women.

I guess the real lesson is that even if you decide to off yourself, you should carefully do your research before you take action. And at this point, Nietzsche kicks in:
Quote from: Freddy the 'Stache
Der Gedanke über Selbstmord ist ein starkes Trostmittel: mit ihm kommt man gut über manche böse Nacht hinweg.
'Thinking about suicide is a strong means of consolation: With its help one can get through many a bad night.'
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #91908 on: April 16, 2015, 10:00:37 am »

I am also quite sad that Truean needs to appeal to the lowest common denominator now. Bolded warnings before and after a post?
This is basically stupid people resulting in the need for stringent OHS, and the stringent OHS coming across as pandering. Dislike, in the world and here.
What do you mean by OHS?  Or, any of this?  I think I'm sad that you're jumping to berate anyone who quotes or questions her policy *even when nobody does*.  Makes me think this has more to do with you than Truean.

I appreciate her clarity, it's not like everyone carefully reads signatures for rules they should follow.  I think people are still going to ask for an explanation, out of curiosity if nothing else, but if she doesn't want to hyperlink an explanation then that's her business.  *I'm* still not going to quote her, and I know her reason, but inevitably other people will.  It's natural curiosity and it always explodes unnecessarily.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #91909 on: April 16, 2015, 10:14:46 am »

« Last Edit: November 21, 2015, 10:19:00 am by penguinofhonor »

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #91910 on: April 16, 2015, 10:19:11 am »

That's true, but "Why are you making this request of us?" isn't an invasive or rude question.
I really regret saying anything already, though.  Sorry Truean, just know that that message was directed entirely at Tack.
...  So it really should have been a PM.  Sorry.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #91911 on: April 16, 2015, 10:46:44 am »

Speaking about bleeding, i hate how the anesthesiology service completely ignores the indications, purposes, and protocols for blood transfusion as a matter of routine.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

UnicodingUnicorn

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent at Incompetency.
    • View Profile
« Reply #91912 on: April 16, 2015, 10:59:04 am »

I can't do this any more. Either I can keep going and inevitably suffer from the same horseshit I put up with every day of my life, for the rest of my life, or I can just exchange a short period of intense pain for eternal bliss, and nothing will matter anymore. Either I can just listen to people telling me not to do it because ERMAHGERD IT GETS BETTER and keep on living when it would serve no purpose, or I can just not.

Why do I feel like I only post here when there is something serious?

Spoiler: Religious stuff (click to show/hide)

If you didn't agree with the above, my wish still stands. Don't do it. Whatever you do, please don't do it.
I do stuff, I guess

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #91913 on: April 16, 2015, 11:24:41 am »

We dont even have to go into religion to demonstrate that suicide is a bad idea in general (altough I'm by no means against religion, in fact I encourage people allow themselves to have some form of faith).
Spoiler: Here we go (click to show/hide)
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #91914 on: April 16, 2015, 11:45:30 am »

From some experience with depression, I never found such argumentation effective towards dealing with it. When your body is constantly in full-on stress response and you feel like shit all the time, you just don't give much of a damn about philosophy.

Myself, I found it helpful to learn as much as I could about the illness, so that I could rationalise what's happening to me - in the same way as some people find it easier to deal with physical pain when they are taught about its evolutionary and physiological function.

And of course treatment. Nothing helps like feeling that there's an alternative to that dreariness you've been experiencing. That it doesn't have to be like that.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #91915 on: April 16, 2015, 12:43:17 pm »

*waves*
Hello, fellow lonely person.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

BlitzDungeoneer

• Bay Watcher
  • heh
    • View Profile
« Reply #91916 on: April 16, 2015, 12:46:46 pm »

*waves*
Hello, fellow lonely people who are more lonely than I.
Swordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordsword

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #91917 on: April 16, 2015, 01:12:31 pm »

*waves*
Hello, fellow lonely people who are more lonely than I.
Being alone together is cooler.
In a time before time, I had a name.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91918 on: April 16, 2015, 01:20:22 pm »

-snip-
« Last Edit: March 25, 2017, 03:05:00 pm by Vector »
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #91919 on: April 16, 2015, 01:27:23 pm »

Arrrgh. There's a group project in my communications class that's a total of 1/5 of my grade. I'm getting anxiety over the whole thing.

Uuuuuuugh.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.
Pages: 1 ... 6126 6127 [6128] 6129 6130 ... 8167