Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6123 6124 [6125] 6126 6127 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9473979 times)

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #91860 on: April 15, 2015, 03:30:54 pm »

Sad Thread = PM Thread??
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #91861 on: April 15, 2015, 03:34:14 pm »

I suppose it boils down to this:

People think I'm smart. That may once have been somewhat inherently true. They also think I'm nice, and helpful, and compassionate, and stuff. That's never really been inherent to me. It's something I've trained myself into rigorously.

Mostly, though I push myself. And everything's been slipping, and I've been pushing harder to hold it together. I've been in the red since halfway through February.

Then I started dropping balls. It doesn't help that my definition of 'dropping the ball' is set quite a bit higher than I guess most people's. So guilt about feeling guilty. And self-hatred for dropping the ball.

And I know I don't work as hard as a lot of people. I feel like I constantly need to work harder to catch all the balls I'm dropping, and I know that there are people who at least seem to work harder than me. So I feel guilty about that too.

Then I feel like I'm wallowing in self-pity, which I have no idea if I'm actually doing. I also end up trying not to deal with people, which tends to be difficult in a family of six. So I end up snubbing people, which doesn't help anything, so guess what, I end up with more guilt and self hatred.

I also don't refuse to help anyone who asks me. I have no idea how that changes anything except that I feel terrible if I end up snubbing them as mentioned before.

Basically for the last couple of months I've been a melting pot of guilt, exhaustion, and self-hatred. And academically knowing that only makes the gnawing emptiness worse, because I can't fix it, only push it away.

Sorry if this isn't very coherent. It's quite stream-of-consciousness and my stream of consciousness is not glassy right now.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

sjm9876

• Bay Watcher
  • Did not so much Fall as Saunter Vaguely Downwards
    • View Profile
« Reply #91862 on: April 15, 2015, 03:46:04 pm »

-snip-
....I feel you've just summed up a large portion of my life until a couple of years ago.

I can't give you nay kind of quick fix or magic solution, because I never found one. I still get these feelings from time to time, though nowhere near as badly as I used to. All I can really say is that sometimes things slip. I found it helped to figure out what was absolutely necessary and let other things slide - the weight taken off can be a great help.

Also, the self-pity/guilt cycle can be quite viscous. Don't be afraid to let yourself get distracted - it can help break it in my experience.

Finally, I guess just keep at it. One foot in front of the other and all that. Keep on keeping on until it becomes habit again, and then pick things up.

Hope some of this helps, though no promises - I only have my own experiences to speak from. As like pretty much everyone else, feel free to pop me a PM if you need it. I can't promise helpfulness, but I can at least offer an ear.
My dreams are not unlike yours - they long for the safety, and break like a glass chandelier.
But there's laughter and oh there is love, just past the edge of our fears.
And there's chaos when push comes to shove, but it's music to my ears.

Sigtext

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #91863 on: April 15, 2015, 03:51:42 pm »

No, that's totally understandable. I've been in exactly that place before, except that I've never had a problem finding alone time and the revelation didn't hit me until I'd long since moved out. You're ahead of the curve! Unfortunately I haven't got anything to say that'll help, any more than shouting "Quit drowning!" would make for an effective lifeguard. Nothing ever seems to work on this shit but deeply personal epiphanies or quality therapy, and I can provide neither, but at least I want you to know that you're not a bad person because you haven't managed to get out of this yet. It's hard. And it doesn't go the same for everybody. You're a pretty okay dude. There's nothing wrong with hurting but the hurting. And it's okay to talk about it.

------------

[rage]Sweet merciful fuck, the cancelled class is required for my degree. I need to get this shit reinstated or weasel my way into an alternative. I am not selling these shits another year of my life because of a fucking scheduling decision.[/rage]
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #91864 on: April 15, 2015, 03:57:10 pm »

I'm pretty sure I have a tiny scratch on my left eye (either that or a very obstinate splinter). I got hit by a debris-filled blast of wind yesterday morning, and now every time I blink it feels like there is something in it. Not much to do about it but wait and look like I'm constantly on the verge of breaking into tears for the next few days. :-\

-snip-
As someone who's been in virtually that exact spot a year or so back (I literally had a hour long mini-nervous breakdown at one point, followed by another half hour or so before I could unclench my hands enough to open the door to my bedroom to leave) here's the basic things I did to get out of it:
  • For the short term decide which balls are the most important ones, and prioritize based on that. When time comes that you have to drop one, either tell the person why you dropped it if you think they will understand or just say "sorry, I had other things that were more important than this" and leave it at that. Personally I found my family to be much more understanding than I had originally thought they were going to be, but every family's different. It's up to you where to put your explanations for each person on the scale between telling everything and telling nothing.
  • When you drop a ball like that (which you will end up doing), whatever the reasons, people are going to think slightly less of you, and it's important to acknowledge that. However the more important thing to recognize is that your mental health is more important than their opinions of you. You can't juggle if you can't see and trying to do so is just going to result in all the balls falling down. Therefore take care of your own eyesight first, and then worry about the balls you've currently got in the air.
  • Next (and this is more for the long term) try to juggle less balls. Don't be afraid to tell someone 'no', or to avoid potential commitments. Once again people are going to be disappointed when you tell them no about something, but as before it's more important to complete what you can than try to complete too much. Trying to juggle 12 tennis balls when you can only juggle 3 reliably is just going to result in dropped balls, amplifying the problem.
  • And lastly (at least for me), I found that I needed to work on procrastination in the long term. There's a myriad of ways to fight this, get a day planner, change your desktop background to the words "Do it now", whatever you want to do; but cut back on procrastination and you are less likely to run into periods where you suddenly have 8 important balls all coming down at once and you only have 2 hands.
That's just my two cents on it, take it as you will.

[rage]Sweet merciful fuck, the cancelled class is required for my degree. I need to get this shit reinstated or weasel my way into an alternative. I am not selling these shits another year of my life because of a fucking scheduling decision.[/rage]
Maybe talk to advising about what anybody else in your position is doing? I know lots of times you can take the same class at another university for fairly cheap (assuming you have a webcam there are often a few totally-online options too) and it'll count, though if you decide to do that make sure you get it approved before you pay for a class that might not count for anything.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91865 on: April 15, 2015, 04:12:36 pm »

-snip-
« Last Edit: March 25, 2017, 03:06:04 pm by Vector »
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

AlleeCat

• Bay Watcher
  • Black, the beast, descends from shadows...
    • View Profile
« Reply #91866 on: April 15, 2015, 04:15:20 pm »

For the short term decide which balls are the most important ones, and prioritize based on that.
I'm sorry, but all I'm seeing is balls.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91867 on: April 15, 2015, 04:17:57 pm »

For the short term decide which balls are the most important ones, and prioritize based on that.
I'm sorry, but all I'm seeing is balls.
Me too. I didn't want to say anything but OH GOD I CAN'T STOP SEEING TESTICULAR JUGGLING NOW

Indeed, I do this.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #91868 on: April 15, 2015, 04:28:34 pm »

Thanks for all the advice and support.

Hopefully I'll be able to get rid of some of the balls soonish. I don't procrastinate very much at all, luckily, but there's always scope to hammer that out more.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #91869 on: April 15, 2015, 06:10:14 pm »

I don't even know why I'm sad anymore. My life could be way worse. But no, I'm just...not happy. Always not happy. Either I'm definitely unhappy or just neutral, never distinctly in a state of mind I'd call "happy".
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #91870 on: April 15, 2015, 06:18:08 pm »

I don't even know why I'm sad anymore. My life could be way worse. But no, I'm just...not happy. Always not happy. Either I'm definitely unhappy or just neutral, never distinctly in a state of mind I'd call "happy".
Have you tried cake?
In a time before time, I had a name.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #91871 on: April 15, 2015, 06:23:08 pm »

Have you tried cake?
Yes. Cake tastes good. Does it cure all my problems and worries and make me feel "happy"? No. Does it temporarily distract me? Yes. Is happiness really just "temporary distraction from unhappiness"? No, probably not. If it is, it's extremely shallow happiness that's hardly distinguishable from being neutral.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91872 on: April 15, 2015, 06:24:13 pm »

This is pretty much the textbook definition of Depression. I get this occasionally too, but don't worry it will wear off after a few weeks to a month. At least it does for me.

Indeed, I do this.

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #91873 on: April 15, 2015, 06:28:26 pm »

Have you tried cake?
Yes. Cake tastes good. Does it cure all my problems and worries and make me feel "happy"? No. Does it temporarily distract me? Yes. Is happiness really just "temporary distraction from unhappiness"? No, probably not. If it is, it's extremely shallow happiness that's hardly distinguishable from being neutral.
Man, I just wanted to give you a bro fist bump now...
I guess internet makes that, I wanted all of you to be just as tangible as my friends here...
In a time before time, I had a name.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #91874 on: April 15, 2015, 06:38:12 pm »

Get yourself a full-body check. It sucks to suffer anhedonia for years as if it was inevitable, when it might just be your thyroid or something else acting up.
Pages: 1 ... 6123 6124 [6125] 6126 6127 ... 8167