Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6113 6114 [6115] 6116 6117 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9479814 times)

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #91710 on: April 13, 2015, 11:14:03 pm »

Erm...
What's Blackwater?

They're a private military training/private military intelligence/mercenary organization that was hired by the US during the Iraq war
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #91711 on: April 13, 2015, 11:14:44 pm »

A private military contractor. They were given "security" contracts by the administration and the CIA during the Iraq war, and did a lot of very shady things. They also did a lot of the same things that regular soldiers did, patrolling the streets and guarding VIPs and whatnot, but with significantly less concern for things like trigger discipline, collateral damage, and substance abuse restriction.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91712 on: April 13, 2015, 11:16:35 pm »

A private military contractor. They were given "security" contracts by the administration and the CIA during the Iraq war, and did a lot of very shady things. They also did a lot of the same things that regular soldiers did, patrolling the streets and guarding VIPs and whatnot, only better.
FTFY

@Bohandas: Oh, right. Apologies.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #91713 on: April 13, 2015, 11:34:24 pm »

only better.
Do... do you have any citations on that? Because, by my understanding, everything Baffler said is true. Now, maybe your definition of "better" is different, but I'd like to hear what it is.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

ArKFallen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bohandean Desserter
    • View Profile
« Reply #91714 on: April 13, 2015, 11:38:04 pm »

Spoiler: Petty Sad (click to show/hide)
Hm, have you considered murder?  It's either that or letting it go.
SigText
I logged back on ;_;

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91715 on: April 13, 2015, 11:39:32 pm »

only better.
Do... do you have any citations on that? Because, by my understanding, everything Baffler said is true. Now, maybe your definition of "better" is different, but I'd like to hear what it is.
Hmm? That's the joke, I simply shortened his post by removing a bunch of superfluous words.
Booze is Life for Yoink

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #91716 on: April 13, 2015, 11:45:01 pm »

only better.
Hmm? That's the joke, I simply shortened his post by removing a bunch of superfluous words.
Ah, okay, so... you think that trigger discipline, regard for collateral damage, and substance abuse restrictions are bad things to have in military contractors? I'm legitimately confused, here. If that's the case, I'm not going to press the issue here. This is the sad thread, not the place to make sure people believe what I believe, of course, so sorry if it comes off as a rhetorical question or something.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #91717 on: April 13, 2015, 11:48:23 pm »

Sarcasm, yo. Pretty sure Yoink does not think collateral damage and poor trigger discipline are good things.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #91718 on: April 13, 2015, 11:53:58 pm »

okay so I decided paypal donations were too focused on non-profits (which makes me feel bad if I use it)

then I went to patreon and quickly realized that i seem to be under the opinion that I have nothing useful to provide and/or have provided nothing useful

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91719 on: April 13, 2015, 11:55:31 pm »

Ah, okay, so... you think that trigger discipline, regard for collateral damage, and substance abuse restrictions are bad things to have in military contractors? I'm legitimately confused, here. If that's the case, I'm not going to press the issue here. This is the sad thread, not the place to make sure people believe what I believe, of course, so sorry if it comes off as a rhetorical question or something.
The fact that I disagree with those men being charged so harshly suggests I most likely have quite different views on the subject to yourself.
I worded it in a joking, light-hearted manner because the majority of people here will doubtless disagree with me.
Anyway, I'd typed out a bit more of a response, but then deleted it. I didn't intend to derail the Sad thread with such a flammable topic.
Booze is Life for Yoink

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #91720 on: April 14, 2015, 12:00:11 am »

The fact that I disagree with those men being charged so harshly suggests I most likely have quite different views on the subject to yourself.
I worded it in a joking, light-hearted manner because the majority of people here will doubtless disagree with me.
Anyway, I'd typed out a bit more of a response, but then deleted it. I didn't intend to derail the Sad thread with such a flammable topic.
No, that's fine. I don't wanna be all stifling. You're well within your bounds to be sad about one dude who's going to be locked up for the rest of his life and a couple more who're gonna be that way for decades. Sorry about that.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #91721 on: April 14, 2015, 02:43:57 am »

Hah. Psychiatrists
I saw a doctor about getting a therapist and they were like 'Absolutely! After talking to you for a bit I think it'll do you some good.
First, we'll just get you to go in for a blood test so that we can see if there's any physiological reason for your problem'.

Still haven't gone back.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #91722 on: April 14, 2015, 02:53:01 am »

That's an SoP. Sometimes, people think they've a psychological problem, when the basis is in the biological aspect.

...It's just needles.
...Just needles.[/hellopast] :-\

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #91723 on: April 14, 2015, 02:56:34 am »

* Japa shudders

There's nothing 'just' about needles.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #91724 on: April 14, 2015, 03:00:25 am »

* Japa shudders

There's nothing 'just' about needles.
I know. :P Hence why I put the emoticons and smilies past the needles.
>_> Needles.
Pages: 1 ... 6113 6114 [6115] 6116 6117 ... 8167