Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6108 6109 [6110] 6111 6112 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9440855 times)

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #91635 on: April 12, 2015, 11:23:06 pm »

Welp. Talked to my parents. Talked about how depressed and hopeless I'm feeling. Talked about it in the past about how I feel like none of this is going anywhere, but this talk probably had more impact. Mostly because there were multiple points this time where I found myself yelling into the phone.

Made plans for me to talk with them in person this coming weekend about establishing options. Alternatives to me continuing going to college like I'm doing for the next 3 years. So instead of me pretending everything's fine, I'm hopefully going to be trying to get my life in better shape, then go back to college stuff. Maybe. I don't know.

Really upset my parents though. I hate that. Hate upsetting people because they care about me.

I feel slightly less hopeless now though. Maybe.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #91636 on: April 12, 2015, 11:32:05 pm »

Relationship troubles.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Sorry for the atrocious grammar
I almost didn't post this because I feel like it's just stupid and I should get over it.
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91637 on: April 12, 2015, 11:39:14 pm »

-snip-

I think you made the right decision, talking to people about it. It's not easy to make your own well-being a priority, especially when nothing feels like it matters, or you feel bad about yourself, or feel like things won't change, or however it's manifesting itself for you. Making it important enough to talk to other people about it is a move in the right direction.

My experience with depression cycles is that it tends to lighten with time, so it's more about weathering and outlasting the worst of the lows until things can matter again. I just think "things will get better soon, and until they do I have to keep going," and try my best to keep putting a foot in front of the other, take care of day to day needs, and do what I can to go on functioning.

But also, I think my depressions almost always have a trigger of sorts, too. Something that was making me upset that I'd learned to ignore with all the conscious parts of my brain, or something in my life that I needed to change but didn't know, or bad lessons that I'd internalized which were at odds with my personal feelings, so on. If something like that's at work, taking time to identify those things, and trying to plan to change them is a good thing too. Maybe you want to be doing something else with school or in your day to day life, but you put it on the back burner, or don't know how to get there. When you're feeling better, maybe give your inner life a look, and try to see if there's something you can change, or can learn how to change. Find a direction first, and then you can find out how to move toward it.

Good luck. It will get better.

Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum

« Reply #91638 on: April 12, 2015, 11:49:00 pm »

Anybody got advice?
Spoiler: Kal's advice (click to show/hide)
Also, I'm sorry. I hope you manage to work things out in a way that makes you happy. Or, if not happy, at least better than the way you feel right now.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2015, 11:52:25 pm by Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum »

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91639 on: April 13, 2015, 12:01:24 am »

Forgot to mention/ responding to Kal
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum

« Reply #91640 on: April 13, 2015, 12:13:31 am »

We both know it means I'm not but I'm not going to have this serious of a conversation over texting and she just never wants to talk on the phone either.
Well, you could text her saying that things aren't working out and that you want to talk about it in person. That should work...

And if you really mean everything to her, what is she doing on her phone around you? I would say your friend is right and it sounds like a relationship you shouldn't be in...
(If you want to talk more over PM, just message me. Or I could just shut up...)

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91641 on: April 13, 2015, 12:24:28 am »

She'll ask me if I'm ok when we are infront of friends or while we are texting, usually when I'm expressing coldness towards her which seems to be my natural response when it seems like she doesn't care, and I'll either shrug if we are in front of a bunch of people or if it's over text I'll just say I'm ok or I'm fine. We both know it means I'm not bit I'm not going to have this serious of a conversation over texting and she just never wants to talk on the phone either.

BREEEEEEP. BREEEEEEP. PASSIVE AGGRESSION ALERT.

The solution: when you feel like she doesn't care, explicitly tell her you feel like she doesn't care and why. Don't assume what she knows or feels, and don't hold her accountable for your assumptions about what she knows or feels either. Otherwise, you'll resent her for not treating you the way you want to be treated, when you haven't told her how that is. Which is totally unfair.

Take a step back, and look at the situation. As I understand it, what you're saying is that you feel like she doesn't care and quietly start seeming upset, maybe make little hints that you're upset without saying. She asks you what's wrong, and you say "Nothing's wrong!" while quietly resenting her for not acting differently. She's initiating a conversation to check in with you and expressing concern right there, but you're lying to her. And blaming her for it too.

Even if you have the kindest, gentlest, and best intentions in not just talking to her about it, it's fundamentally dishonest, and passive-aggressive. It's poor treatment of her to expect things without letting her know your expectations, and it's a poor way to treat yourself to bottle up your misgivings and feelings. Bad all around.

I say this as someone who has unknowingly been a passive aggressive buttmunch in relationships. If there's one thing I've learned through past relationships, it's the importance of honesty and emotional openness. It goes for romantic partners, family, friends, and anyone I want to feel good being around. Getting in touch with what I actually want and how I feel has also been instrumental in finding happiness, and finding things to do with my life, in general.

TL;DR - Stop talking to us about it, and start talking to her. Have a real, respectful conversation with her about the relationship, and try to express what you're feeling. Give her a chance to respond, and hear her out too. If you both want to work on it, that's great. If you want something she doesn't, or vice versa, you can go your separate ways, and that's great too. Being honest may not always be comfortable, and may not even be pleasant... but it always ends for the best, in it's own way. How things really are is the best way they can possibly be, yeah?

EDIT: You don't need to have the conversation then and there, if it's a bad time. But don't put it off indefinitely just because it was a bad time just then. >_o
« Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 12:27:27 am by Solifuge »

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91642 on: April 13, 2015, 12:34:59 am »

I don't yell at her that nothing's wrong.
She does the same thing to me as well ((kinda the reason I do it, because she does it too and thinks it a perfectly acceptable way to avoid confrontation about it))
The difference between us is I'll keep asking her what's wrong till she tells me or says it's something extremely personal, where as she asks once, I tell her, and she says "ok" and leaves it alone.

I'm not planning in leaving this alone and not saying anything, I just don't know what to say,"hey I hate where this relationship is going"?
She knows she does things that upset me too, not all of this is assumption, she has openly appologiesed for her anger problems ((still not an excuse to go off on me when she does)) among other things.

Sorry for being a dick I guess.

E: Sorry, I'm upset and tired... I would talk to her about it if she ever have me a chance to.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 12:40:26 am by Cryxis, Prince of Doom »

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #91643 on: April 13, 2015, 12:43:20 am »

The fact that people believe they are in a narrative centering around them, in which they're the protagonist. This is perfectly normal, but the fact people demean people they do not know due to being an "extra" to their story and denying them rights to be the real persons they are, each with their own story to tell.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91644 on: April 13, 2015, 12:57:41 am »

-snip-
Sorry for being a dick I guess.

E: Sorry, I'm upset and tired... I would talk to her about it if she ever have me a chance to.

Eh? You're fine by me. Just speaking to possibly similar situations I've been in, and what's changed to make those better for me. Though I will say, it's bad form to recognize someone else's behavior as bad, and then use that as an excuse for behaving similarly. That's kinda hypocritical. But you're still okay. :I

I can't say what you should say to her about things. Just that you should maybe do a think about what you want in a relationship, and then find a good time to talk with her in an emotionally honest and direct way. Maybe focus on what you want in an ideal relationship, then about ways that isn't happening in your relationship in particular? You can ask her similar questions about what she wants out of a relationship too, and decide if you're both willing to work at it or not.

You're going to be the one who has to approach her about this though; it might be easier, but it's not her job to initiate that conversation for you. Also, you probably shouldn't stay in a situation that she's unwilling to fix, but if you're open and direct about what you want to be different, you're seeing if she's willing to or not, right? It's not an unfair demand you're making or something; you just deserve to get whatever you feel is important out of a relationship, so long as it's respectful and fair to ask of someone else. The whole goal of dating someone is to find someone who can do that for you, while you provide whatever they want in return, yeah?

Good luck with it, and I hope things work out for the best.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #91645 on: April 13, 2015, 12:58:38 am »

Made an orange cake.

It's overcooked.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

BlitzDungeoneer

• Bay Watcher
  • heh
    • View Profile
« Reply #91646 on: April 13, 2015, 01:04:13 am »

Made an orange cake.

It's overcooked.
FILTHY CANNIBAL SCUM
Swordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordsword

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #91647 on: April 13, 2015, 01:33:17 am »

I only put a couple in there. Plus, oranges taste good.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

BlitzDungeoneer

• Bay Watcher
  • heh
    • View Profile
« Reply #91648 on: April 13, 2015, 01:40:39 am »

Swordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordsword

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #91649 on: April 13, 2015, 02:18:12 am »

She's not that bad, though.
She kinda is.
Kinda her attitude, more like.
That's what we're describing, Caroline :/ The attitude. You seem to be describing burnout there. Probably a good idea to ask others to help you with that.
Burnout isn't nice and has long-term effects, given all that reinforcement and repetition. :-\

-snip worry-
I am in such a massive moral pinch. Things like these generally end up as "not my job" until I can be successfully blamed for them.
Err, I don't think that the event of reporting the incident directly = 'massive blow to staff you like' ._.
Unless that's a 100% chance of...somehow happening if you report it? If its for the person's well-being, and given that you're in a position to do something, in the least inquire advice from one of your superiors present there if in a conundrum, maybe?

Sad: Net = D: (as with many other things at the moment)
« Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 02:34:30 am by Tiruin »
Pages: 1 ... 6108 6109 [6110] 6111 6112 ... 8167