Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6073 6074 [6075] 6076 6077 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9453467 times)

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #91110 on: April 04, 2015, 02:32:26 pm »

"It seemed good to the Holy Spirit and to us not to burden you [Gentile Christians] with anything beyond the following requirements: You are to abstain from food sacrificed to idols, from blood, from the meat of strangled animals and from sexual immorality." - Acts 15:28-29
Ah, now to define immorality...
Quote from: Google
Immoral: Not conforming to accepted standards of morality.
Oh, Sweet.
That Cleared Up So Many Things.

Fortunately in this instance we have a fairly clearly-defined guide to what is and is not sexually immoral. Not all of it is relevant, but it goes by the names of the Mosaic Law, the Pentateuch, or Exodus, Leviticus and Deuteronomy depending on who you ask.

Another thing Jesus taught that a lot of Christians seem to forget, is that it's OK if people don't believe in God or Christianity. You can preach all you want, but you can't force people to change their minds. I specifically remember something about seeds in a field falling on paths and rocks? Arx, you're sharing Bible quotes, help me out here.

You're thinking of the Parable of the Sower, in which Jesus describes how people
a) hear the Word but don't understand it
b) understand it but give up easily
c) hear it but don't want to follow it and
d) sometimes actually follow it.

And I'm in complete agreement with you. Trying to force people to believe is counterproductive.
Hey, that parable left out the people who understand the word, but just don't buy it, despite possibly wanting to follow such a thing! I demand a redraft!  :P
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #91111 on: April 04, 2015, 02:35:42 pm »

Now he who received seed among the thorns is he who hears the word, and the cares of this world and the deceitfulness of riches choke the word, and he becomes unfruitful

I'm pretty sure this one refers to us Dwarfy.
And as one of the "just don't buy it" people, becoming "unfruitful" doesn't sound too bad :P
It hardly implies any punishment beyond just not having the happy blissful love of jesus AT ALL.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91112 on: April 04, 2015, 02:39:12 pm »

I take being fruitless as a slur against my person! I demand blood!

And for the last time, when I say that I don't mean communion wine!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #91113 on: April 04, 2015, 02:46:52 pm »

The whole thing bothers me, really. On the one hand, refusing to cater for gay weddings is a dick move. On the other hand, harassing them for it to the point of trashing their whole business is kind of disproportionate retribution.

Edit: Fniff, stop stealing my posts!

Their business is going to flourish from this, there's no such thing as bad publicity.  Which is why they put themselves on the stage.  They have never catered any wedding, and they say they don't plan to.  Making them helpless victims of overzealous homosexuals.  Yet they *also* say they specifically won't cater homosexual weddings, due to their religious beliefs.  They contradicted themselves to maximize their 5 minutes of fame, and it worked out incredibly lucratively for them.

In return they got their phones flooded for a few days or weeks, to the point that they shut their business down for a *day*.  The donors' sympathy was misguided in multiple ways, these people landed on a windfall amount of profit.

It's not all bad, though, it raised awareness of the issue.  I think this will actually be a net gain for progress, since the shop owners aren't particularly sympathetic characters.  And Indiana (perhaps to an exaggerated degree) is coming off as radically conservative.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Glowcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91114 on: April 04, 2015, 02:57:00 pm »

But don't forget! There were some snide comments about their business not serving gay people on Yelp! And their webpage that they didn't even have got hacked! And..

Overblown bullshit by typical conservatives throwing themselves on a cross of martyrdom for fun and profit. Given that Indiana is passing these laws there was never any real danger to their business. The only real news is how many bigoted shitbags are willing to toss money at them for reinforcing a climate of dehumanization towards gender non-conforming people as well as the number of those who defend it while drawing more focus towards members of the targeted group who might be stepping out of line with angered behavior while ignoring the wider context (such as the very real legal implications of reinterpreting laws towards "Religious Liberty").

But hey, we should be thankful that Indiana doesn't execute gay people at least  ::)
Totally a weretrain. Very much trains!
I'm going to steamroll this house.

AlleeCat

• Bay Watcher
  • Black, the beast, descends from shadows...
    • View Profile
« Reply #91115 on: April 04, 2015, 03:01:16 pm »

But hey, we should be thankful that Indiana doesn't execute gay people at least  ::)
Well, that changes everything, then. "At least we allow you to live!"

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91116 on: April 04, 2015, 03:05:09 pm »

I wouldn't knock it if I were you.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

BlitzDungeoneer

• Bay Watcher
  • heh
    • View Profile
« Reply #91117 on: April 04, 2015, 04:52:56 pm »

I came home Wednesday. Thursday and Friday my parents took us to the beach, despite our protest. I want to stay home and rest today.

Yesterday I slammed the door on my foot hard enough to cause a purple welt. I do not bruise easily. I did not bruise when punched in the side of the head, nor when my dad has beaten me, nor when falling over from a bike at high speeds onto a rocky trail. I ran at full speed and slammed my knee against a metal bar, and I got a tiny bruise that went away quickly. My foot does really hurt. So today my parents insist on taking us out to eat, then after that take us to the supermarket to "only get detergent". We tell them that only one person should leave the car. Fight starts between parents and sister. They get final decision. Apparently now they need six people to get five objects now.

Finally going home. Now parents and little sisters want to take a "walk around the mall". Luckily that was averted. Finally get home for a rest.
Suddenly, dad decides he wants to see Fast and Furious 7 today. I say I really don't want to walk today. Mom says I can stay home, my dad and sister will watch it. Sister says if I'm not going she's not going. Mom gets pissed. Takes away her cellphone, tells her it wasn't a question, she doesn't know why she even bothers asking us because she's our mother and can decide for us.
Now we're not going, I feel guilty for even questioning her, and she's decided to remind me I have stuff to do (she probably wouldn't have if I had gone with dad to watch the movie).

Oh, right. The work. I forgot to talk about that. Remember how I said I was behind on work with my college coach?
I was supposed to have stayed home all week and work on it as much as I could to maybe catch up if I do double the daily work after this week for two weeks. I just decided that the work trip was a good idea, and I could catch up if I doubled my (already high) work this week. Then my parents took me to the beach and I now have less than two days to do more than a weeks worth of work. And my mom is now reminding me how "you have responsibilities".

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF-

Is it too egoistic to ask for a single rest during spring break?!
Because it wasn't a bad enough day with just feeling terrible all morning.
I...
* BlitzDungeoneer hugs Caroline.
You deserve better than this, Caroline, you really do. You're a genuinely nice person, and the fact that life keeps shitting on you like this...
I'm a tad miffed, to be polite. I'd say how I truly feel, but the kind of language I'd end up using... Well, frankly, it would get me banned pre-emptively, regardless of whether or not I got a warning or a mute beforehand.
Swordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordsword

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #91118 on: April 04, 2015, 05:30:49 pm »

No, your parents are just terrible.

Like, absurdly bad. None of this is your fault at all.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #91119 on: April 04, 2015, 05:39:31 pm »

I take being fruitless as a slur against my person! I demand blood!

And for the last time, when I say that I don't mean communion wine!
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

BlitzDungeoneer

• Bay Watcher
  • heh
    • View Profile
« Reply #91120 on: April 04, 2015, 05:45:59 pm »

No, your parents are just terrible.

Like, absurdly bad. None of this is your fault at all.
This is basically my opinion, only with a lot more swearing and telling your parents to do anatomically impossible things.
Swordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordsword

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure theirs!
    • View Profile
« Reply #91121 on: April 04, 2015, 05:52:31 pm »

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #91122 on: April 04, 2015, 06:47:08 pm »

As much as my friend tries to make these on-skype D&D sessions work, it's not going to work. We had to switch to skype after a friend moved to China and every game since has been so scattered and disconnected from the game. I haven't even spoken in one since our last in-person session because of the constant feedback loops from my some people refusing to turn off their mics despite being in the room with other people broadcasting the skype call.
My sister and my friend's sister are both already fairly disconnected from normal games. (and for the record, they don't use devices, but they're kinda silent most of the time)

There are a lot of other gripes I have with our games, recently, like our DMs inability to properly plan when these things happen. Also our sisters unwillingness to learn how to use MapTool. (or is it our unwillingness to teach them? I don't know)

Basically, these games are a clusterfuck of failure that only a couple of people get a joy out of and I'm certainly not one of them...

Also it's difficult to play a talkative character when everyone ignores chat and you can't speak because the room decided the mic needs to be the opposite side of the room from me...

EDIT: After a bit of deliberation, I decided to drop out of the game. I could not keep up with what was happening for the life of me and my attempt at paying attention was making me really sleepy(I get sleepy when I get insanely bored...) and also I was either being ignored or not being ignored in ways I didn't notice because there were two different things happening at two different locations all compressed into one chatroom. I fucking hated having to do that, but I just couldn't go on...
« Last Edit: April 04, 2015, 08:28:58 pm by Jack_Bread »

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91123 on: April 04, 2015, 06:55:21 pm »

One of the clubs I was looking forward to joining apparently dissolved over spring break. As best as I can tell the leaders all graduated/got jobs and decided they didn't have time to run it anymore, and nobody was willing to step up to the plate and lead. :-\
So lead it yourself! Get together with the former members and build it back up!
i2amroy master race

Well, that changes everything, then. "At least we allow you to live!"
Similarly, Christians should stop kicking up a stink about the secularization of Christmas with phrases like "Happy Holidays", because they should be thankful we don't throw them to the lions anymore.

Christian groups threatened lawsuits a few years back because people were calling Christmas trees "holiday trees". Clearly modern American Christians are the most persecuted group in history and need the special protections of new state laws, so I don't get the whole backlash against Indiana. Otherwise we'd have "holidays" gradually replacing the word "christmas". Then hell would literally gain dominion over the whole Earth.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2015, 07:06:11 pm by Reelya »

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #91124 on: April 04, 2015, 07:19:13 pm »

As much as my friend tries to make these on-skype D&D sessions work, it's not going to work.
(snip4brevity)
Man, that's a bummer. I know tabletopping can be fun as hell, so it saddens me to hear that it's going to shit for you. :c

Also, for my own sad of this night, it seems like my brain doesn't like getting out of morning mode the past few days, even though i do get almost reasonable amounts of sleep (somewhere in between 5 and 8 hours per night, usually in the latter end of the scale). This translates to me being sluggish, irritable and more anti-social than usual, all day. My guess is that although i get enough sleep, i'm probably getting it at the wrong time of the day, and my brain chemicals don't like that. Or something. In any case, it's probably doctor-worthy if it keeps going like this. I'm not normally the kind of guy who hates everything, and i don't like being that kind of guy either. :/
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page
Quote from: Girlinhat
It may be worthwhile to have the babies fall into ring of fortifications or windows, to prevent anyone from catching and saving them.
[01:27] <Octomobile> MMM THATS GOOD FIST BUTTER
Pages: 1 ... 6073 6074 [6075] 6076 6077 ... 8167