Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6072 6073 [6074] 6075 6076 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9454218 times)

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure theirs!
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #91095 on: April 04, 2015, 01:34:49 pm »

Fundamentalists demand people live by a strictly literal interpretation of the bible, but they selectively ignore parts of it, thus making their choice of which bits to strictly and literally enforce completely arbitrary. After all, they're not insisting people don't wear mixed fabrics or eat pork. They pull that one specific bit out of Leviticus and ignore the rest of it (and the Old Testament) for being Jewish.

"It seemed good to the Holy Spirit and to us not to burden you [Gentile Christians] with anything beyond the following requirements: You are to abstain from food sacrificed to idols, from blood, from the meat of strangled animals and from sexual immorality." - Acts 15:28-29
Ah, now to define immorality... I'm not even going to try

I said this a while back in one of the religion threads (I believe it was Cryxis's) that as a Christian I look first at the example of Jesus.  Jesus healed the lepers and had women among his followers, both of which were "lower classes" in ancient Jewish society (lepers by the Jewish Scriptures and women by patriarchal society).  Amongst all of his words and actions I have found nothing to support the hatred of homosexuals and a lot to support loving your neighbor and caring for others.

Damn ninjas, three posts while I was writing this

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #91096 on: April 04, 2015, 01:34:58 pm »

Friday is "See what we can do with the Black Pudding" day.

So wait, Christians can't eat meat from an animal that's been strangled?
* Allee puts on her stranglin' gloves
You realize that won't work.
They'll just pray in a desert somewhere and bingo.

Also I feel like 'starve all of the Christians' is kind of a Nazi-ish way to go about fixing your issues with certain fundamentalists.
"It seemed good to the Holy Spirit and to us not to burden you [Gentile Christians] with anything beyond the following requirements: You are to abstain from food sacrificed to idols, from blood, from the meat of strangled animals and from sexual immorality." - Acts 15:28-29
Ah, now to define immorality...
Quote from: Google
Immoral: Not conforming to accepted standards of morality.
Oh, Sweet.
That Cleared Up So Many Things.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2015, 01:39:25 pm by Tack »
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #91097 on: April 04, 2015, 01:37:28 pm »

Nothing happened. This does not exist.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

AlleeCat

• Bay Watcher
  • Black, the beast, descends from shadows...
    • View Profile
« Reply #91098 on: April 04, 2015, 01:42:27 pm »

I said this a while back in one of the religion threads (I believe it was Cryxis's) that as a Christian I look first at the example of Jesus.  Jesus healed the lepers and had women among his followers, both of which were "lower classes" in ancient Jewish society (lepers by the Jewish Scriptures and women by patriarchal society).  Amongst all of his words and actions I have found nothing to support the hatred of homosexuals and a lot to support loving your neighbor and caring for others.
I'm not a Christian, but Jesus taught some pretty good stuff that I think everyone should learn from, especially Christians.

Another thing Jesus taught that a lot of Christians seem to forget, is that it's OK if people don't believe in God or Christianity. You can preach all you want, but you can't force people to change their minds. I specifically remember something about seeds in a field falling on paths and rocks? Arx, you're sharing Bible quotes, help me out here.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91099 on: April 04, 2015, 01:44:49 pm »

I'm not a Christian, but Jesus taught some pretty good stuff that I think everyone should learn from, especially Christians.

Another thing Jesus taught that a lot of Christians seem to forget, is that it's OK if people don't believe in God or Christianity. You can preach all you want, but you can't force people to change their minds. I specifically remember something about seeds in a field falling on paths and rocks? Arx, you're sharing Bible quotes, help me out here.
Do you mean this one?

Quote from: Matthew 13:3-9
Then He spoke many things to them in parables, saying: “Behold, a sower went out to sow. And as he sowed, some seed fell by the wayside; and the birds came and devoured them. Some fell on stony places, where they did not have much earth; they immediately sprang up because they had no depth of earth. But when the sun was up they were scorched, and because they had no root they withered away. And some fell among thorns, and the thorns sprang up and choked them. But others fell on good ground and yielded a crop, some a hundredfold, some sixty, some thirty. He who has ears to hear, let him hear.”

AlleeCat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91100 on: April 04, 2015, 01:46:50 pm »

Yes, that is actually exactly what I was thinking of.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #91101 on: April 04, 2015, 01:47:26 pm »

I had sex with a goat once. Ok, maybe more then once.

There were many goats.

Something clever about non-existence being interchangeable or somesuch.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #91102 on: April 04, 2015, 01:48:55 pm »

Ah, now to define immorality...
Quote from: Google
Immoral: Not conforming to accepted standards of morality.
Oh, Sweet.
That Cleared Up So Many Things.

Fortunately in this instance we have a fairly clearly-defined guide to what is and is not sexually immoral. Not all of it is relevant, but it goes by the names of the Mosaic Law, the Pentateuch, or Exodus, Leviticus and Deuteronomy depending on who you ask.

You're thinking of the Parable of the Sower, in which Jesus describes how people
a) hear the Word but don't understand it
b) understand it but give up easily
c) hear it but don't want to follow it and
d) sometimes actually follow it.

And I'm in complete agreement with you. Trying to force people to believe is counterproductive.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2015, 01:50:26 pm by Arx »

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91103 on: April 04, 2015, 01:49:38 pm »

Yes, that is actually exactly what I was thinking of.
To continue, then:
Quote from: Matthew 13:10-23
And the disciples came and said to Him, “Why do you speak to them in parables?” He answered and said to them, “Because it has been given to you to know the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven, but to them it has not been given. For whoever has, to him more will be given, and he will have abundance; but whoever does not have, even what he has will be taken away from him. Therefore I speak to them in parables, because seeing they do not see, and hearing they do not hear, nor do they understand. And in them the prophecy of Isaiah is fulfilled, which says:

‘Hearing you will hear and shall not understand,

and seeing you will see and not perceive;
for the hearts of this people have grown dull.
Their ears are hard of hearing,
and their eyes they have closed,
lest they should see with their eyes and hear with their ears,
lest they should understand with their hearts and turn,
so that I should heal them.’

But blessed are your eyes for they see, and your ears for they hear;
or assuredly, I say to you that many prophets and righteous men desired to see what you see, and did not see it, and to hear what you hear, and did not hear it.

Therefore, hear the parable of the sower: When anyone hears the word of the kingdom, and does not understand it, then the wicked one comes and snatches away what was sown in his heart. This is he who received seed by the wayside. But he who received the seed on stony places, this is he who hears the word and immediately receives it with joy; yet he has no root in himself, but endures only for a while. For when tribulation or persecution arises because of the word, immediately he stumbles. Now he who received seed among the thorns is he who hears the word, and the cares of this world and the deceitfulness of riches choke the word, and he becomes unfruitful, But he who received seed on the good ground is he who hears the word and understands it, who indeed bears fruit and produces: some a hundredfold, some sixty, some thirty.”
Fortunately in this instance we have a fairly clearly-defined guide to what is and is not sexually immoral. Not all of it is relevant, but it goes by the names of the Mosaic Law, the Pentateuch, or Exodus, Leviticus and Deuteronomy depending on who you ask.
I must ask: does Jesus in any way implicate that homosexuals or homosexual activities are bad, and if so, where?
« Last Edit: April 04, 2015, 01:53:25 pm by 4maskwolf »

Arx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #91104 on: April 04, 2015, 02:03:21 pm »

To my knowledge (which is moderately extensive), no. Most of the stuff Jesus said is actually pretty chill on the people with a bad Mosaic track record, which is why I might also be a bit shifty if asked to cater for a gay wedding (I'd probably do it, but eeh) but in general I'm more okay with homosexuality than many.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2015, 02:05:04 pm by Arx »

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #91105 on: April 04, 2015, 02:05:33 pm »

I must ask: does Jesus in any way implicate that homosexuals or homosexual activities are bad, and if so, where?

Jesus doesn't adds anything to the moral code the bible stands for, but the rest of the greek scriptures go like:
Romans 1:26,27 ► "That is why God gave them over to uncontrolled sexual passion, for their females changed the natural use of themselves into one contrary to nature; likewise also the males left the natural use of the female and became violently inflamed in their lust toward one another, males with males, working what is obscene and receiving in themselves the full penalty, which was due for their error."

EDIT: Ops, ninja'd.

Anyway, Jesus probably was well versed on the mosaic law.
In a time before time, I had a name.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #91106 on: April 04, 2015, 02:08:35 pm »

Anyway, Jesus probably was well versed on the mosaic law.

Considering he is alleged to have been debating with the teachers of the Law when he was twelve, I think we can be confident on that point.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #91107 on: April 04, 2015, 02:10:02 pm »

One of the clubs I was looking forward to joining apparently dissolved over spring break. As best as I can tell the leaders all graduated/got jobs and decided they didn't have time to run it anymore, and nobody was willing to step up to the plate and lead. :-\
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

AlleeCat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91108 on: April 04, 2015, 02:13:40 pm »

One of the clubs I was looking forward to joining apparently dissolved over spring break. As best as I can tell the leaders all graduated/got jobs and decided they didn't have time to run it anymore, and nobody was willing to step up to the plate and lead. :-\
So lead it yourself! Get together with the former members and build it back up!

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #91109 on: April 04, 2015, 02:15:17 pm »

So lead it yourself! Get together with the former members and build it back up!
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.
Pages: 1 ... 6072 6073 [6074] 6075 6076 ... 8167