Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5934 5935 [5936] 5937 5938 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9442068 times)

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #89025 on: February 25, 2015, 09:48:57 am »

*MC lets out a long sigh*

My grandfather-in-law is a preacher, and he acts in pretty much the exact way you describe. He's also a huge bigot and racist, and frequently goes on about "those colored people" and Asians.
I can only imagine his views on sexuality.

The best way to deal with it is, like greatorder said, just ignore them. You're never going to change their minds, because they have it hammered into their heads that they are in the right in all matters, and have this bogus position of authority to flaunt it around.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #89026 on: February 25, 2015, 09:57:50 am »

(Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints)
Explains everything.
(Actually doesn't, but I always enjoy making fun of Mormons.)
Me too, but alas, lets not do it, even though mormonism has always been absolutely shady.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #89027 on: February 25, 2015, 10:51:05 am »

*MC lets out a long sigh*

My grandfather-in-law is a preacher, and he acts in pretty much the exact way you describe. He's also a huge bigot and racist, and frequently goes on about "those colored people" and Asians.
I can only imagine his views on sexuality.

The best way to deal with it is, like greatorder said, just ignore them.

If they're not in a position of authority over you you can also laugh at them.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #89028 on: February 25, 2015, 11:15:46 am »

adorable bird thing
I have no idea what kind of bird that is but the way it's sitting makes me think it's some kind of little baby griffon sitting on the paper being all adorable.

--------
I don't really do organized religion but I have spoken to a couple preachers and such from local congregations in the past back when I was trying to see if any of that 'once you find your religion you know' stuff held water.  Most of them were a lot like what people described, intolerant assholes hiding behind an imaginary higher power to spread their intolerance.  But I met a few that seemed all right.  Sadly those few seem to be a major minority.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 11:17:20 am by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #89029 on: February 25, 2015, 11:30:50 am »

Whether they're a minority or not depends heavily on where you are and where you look. I myself have yet to personally meet a badly bigoted pastor/minister, which is not for want of meeting them.

Edit: My computer freezes frequently when I try to have multiple applications open. Multiple as in Firefox, Word, and PowerPoint.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 11:39:38 am by Arx »

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #89030 on: February 25, 2015, 01:10:01 pm »

The church should not allow bigots to assume pastoral positions. It is in no way good.

Well it wouldn't really be a church then, would it?
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #89031 on: February 25, 2015, 01:14:30 pm »

Quote from: truean
stuff about jobs

I guess there's no polite way to say this - but you come off as completely miserable with your life on one hand, then on the other hand say you feel sorry for people who do things a different way, and completely dismiss them even though they very well might be happier then you. It seems.... shortsighted?

Find a job that's fulfilling. It does not have to be your absolute first choice dream job you *LOVE* because that is rare, not everyone can be an astronaut or a artist or a TV star or whatever. But find a job that satisfies you. A job that, at the end of the day you can stand back and look and say "yeah, I accomplished something and I feel good about that".

You only get one life, and it's too goddamn short to spend 33%+ grinding away at a job that leaves you completely unhappy and unsatisfied.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #89032 on: February 25, 2015, 01:18:21 pm »

The church should not allow bigots to assume pastoral positions. It is in no way good.

I'm not sure how to respond to this. It's made a lot more difficult by the fact that you just insulted a number of my close friends and three of my immediate family, and I quite like the sad thread.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #89033 on: February 25, 2015, 01:25:30 pm »

I'm not sure how to respond to this. It's made a lot more difficult by the fact that you just insulted a number of my close friends and three of my immediate family, and I quite like the sad thread.

* Iceblaster also mentions his grandfather and one of his uncles are pastors and are rather nice

EDIT: Not intending to start anything. Probably could remove, but meh.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #89034 on: February 25, 2015, 02:13:35 pm »

I think I'm getting sick. My ears hurt and my throat feels sore.
There's a class trip this weekend D:
Go to bed miauw, and don't leave it until you're better (or the weekend I guess).

And did someone say "mormon"? (Lightening the tone. You're welcome)
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #89035 on: February 25, 2015, 02:19:49 pm »

Holy crap that is glorious

* IronTomato gives hugs to Kaladin, Mastah, Miauw and others

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #89036 on: February 25, 2015, 02:30:47 pm »

I wish we still had a Rage thread so that I would have somewhere to talk about Bush v Gore. Not the outcome of the election, which I dislike for unrelated reasons that have been discussed to death, but the court's reasoning amounts to, "There's a problem we helped create that might not be easily solvable, so fuck trying."
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #89037 on: February 25, 2015, 03:32:55 pm »

I realized how much of an idiot and an asshole everyone around me is, including myself. Lately I've been reaching out, seeking enlightenment and learning about the world in general and how to deal with things, focusing on being skeptical and rational, questioning everything, noting the points of both sides of each issue as well as my own thoughts on the matters. Yet then I turn back to my own life...ouch. Truth hurts. If there's one thing I would want to be removed from the world, it would be ignorance, but that choice would have its price. I need a hug and some sleep, though i doubt the world is much better when I wake up.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #89038 on: February 25, 2015, 03:36:55 pm »

*Hugs IcyTea*
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

ggamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Reach Heaven through Violence
    • View Profile
« Reply #89039 on: February 25, 2015, 03:38:24 pm »

3edgy5me, he made a joke about church guys. Ladies, go ahead and line up in the blowjob line, this one's dropping some original fucking material.
Pages: 1 ... 5934 5935 [5936] 5937 5938 ... 8167