Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5918 5919 [5920] 5921 5922 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9448433 times)

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #88785 on: February 20, 2015, 04:38:24 pm »

I'll wait for more sources (that aren't quoting a secondary source) before I believe it's an authentic quote, but, I refer to this clip on the daily show. (Note: Watch all the way through)
« Last Edit: February 20, 2015, 04:40:29 pm by HugoLuman »
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #88786 on: February 20, 2015, 04:41:09 pm »

Today I realized that I don't really have any real friends who I can comfortably talk to without fear of putting my mouth in my foot and make them hate me and ignore me for no reason.

Well, I guess there's Tiruin but she's the second coming of Jesus Fucking Christ and everybody loves her so she doesn't count.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2015, 05:01:50 pm by Objective »
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #88787 on: February 20, 2015, 05:17:42 pm »

Well, this is what pushed me away from the catholic church and into spiritism (IE kardecism), since Allan Kardec's spiritism is basically the gospel but with severely more ample view of the universe and god and etc. While I dont consider myself a spiritism per se, I've read quite a few books by Allan Kardec and Chico Xavier and, to be honest, its basically christianity but with a reasonable view of afterlife + reincarnation, karma and the acceptance of things such as different sexual preferences, gender dysphoria, animals having souls, evolution, scientific knowledge, etc. Honestly its pretty interesting even for people with zero interest in religion, I can recommend several great books on it.

I do believe Francis is doing a good job though, and he's making the Catholic Church A LOT better then it has been in the past centuries, bringing back the progressive thinking of Pope Pius into catholicism. Considering this is a +2000 year institution we're talking about (at least if you consider the start of the church from the times of Jesus Christ, and not the actual structuration of the catholic church, which happened several centuries later in the roman empire through Constantinus), its quite impressive he's been making all these (gradual) changes happen.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #88788 on: February 20, 2015, 05:39:48 pm »

Today I realized that I don't really have any real friends who I can comfortably talk to without fear of putting my mouth in my foot and make them hate me and ignore me for no reason.

Well, I guess there's Tiruin but she's the second coming of Jesus Fucking Christ and everybody loves her so she doesn't count.
I would talk to you more often, but I just don't have anything interesting to talk about.  :-\
I won't hate you or ignore you, though.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Glowcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88789 on: February 20, 2015, 05:59:16 pm »

I'll wait for more sources (that aren't quoting a secondary source) before I believe it's an authentic quote, but, I refer to this clip on the daily show. (Note: Watch all the way through)

It's not exactly a single place reporting the Pope's interview

But I was already deeply skeptical of this Pope magically not being a representative of the system that created his position so it's not really surprising to me. Religious leaders have always relied on garnering charismatic authority via "public relations" in addition to relying on the weight of traditional authority. I wish I had the link, but the Church's response to previous incidents echo'd this problem when (I believe it was a Bishop) stated that the problem with child abuse and their cover ups wasn't the Church's lack of response against priests but rather an issue of PR. They don't think they're wrong, they just think they haven't hit upon a way to articulate their position in a way that doesn't seem monstrous yet.
Totally a weretrain. Very much trains!
I'm going to steamroll this house.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #88790 on: February 20, 2015, 06:09:22 pm »

The point of the video was that the Pope's new messages are actually the same positions as ever from the church, just rephrased in nicer-sounding words.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

ggamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Reach Heaven through Violence
    • View Profile
« Reply #88791 on: February 20, 2015, 06:10:12 pm »

Speaking from the friend level of "person you met on an internet forum that you talk to sometimes," I can pretty confidently say that you're a lot better at talking to friends (or at least me) than you think you are.

unless you're referring to something in you personal life in which case i'll slowly fade into subtext dramatically :3

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88792 on: February 20, 2015, 06:15:31 pm »

The thing is, this pope really hasn't been only about words, IE unlike Benedict. He's proven to be an active figure in international relations and he's approached the catholic and eastern orthodox churches, something that only happened once in the more recent centuries, and is working to reform the curia romana, IE, he's been doing what Popes were/are supposed to do, which is a nice change.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #88793 on: February 20, 2015, 06:19:40 pm »

I thought the Pope's job is to plot to overthrow the royal family? :P
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #88794 on: February 20, 2015, 06:22:52 pm »

No, that's the Archbishop of Canterbury.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #88795 on: February 20, 2015, 06:24:04 pm »

Orrr the Cardinal.

Typically of France.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #88796 on: February 20, 2015, 06:25:22 pm »

But the archbishop is chosen by the royal family.

I think?
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

ggamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Reach Heaven through Violence
    • View Profile
« Reply #88797 on: February 20, 2015, 06:26:15 pm »

I think?

I wouldn't know jack shit about the inner politics of the Catholic church, but I think that's since been phased out, especially considering that there's archbishops in places without a royal family.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88798 on: February 20, 2015, 06:27:07 pm »

I think?
Only in the (pffft) anglican church, I guess? Anglican Church =/= Roman Catholic. I dont think the catholic church ever allowed kings to choose archbishops.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #88799 on: February 20, 2015, 06:28:51 pm »

Thomas Becket comes to mind.

Edit: Though, that was more a Royal acceptance after his election. So, hrmmm.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread
Pages: 1 ... 5918 5919 [5920] 5921 5922 ... 8167