Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5915 5916 [5917] 5918 5919 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9447867 times)

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #88740 on: February 19, 2015, 11:24:51 pm »

Two major problems with job hunting:

1.) Might have to testify in front of and against a judge I got indicted on multiple felony charges. He is insisting on questioning witnesses HIMSELF as a messed up form of hybrid representation where another lawyer defends him but he asks witnesses questions. This reeks of intimidation. He is scary as hell, and may very well be going to jail for a long time so I'm sure he'll make that pleasant. This guy has likely been blackballing me because I turned him in and got him thrown on trial for his corruption. Damn it.

2.) I am having difficulties backing up and receiving support for the years of intense work I did. I.E. references. My old bosses have egos and they claimed everything I did, they did. They did not.

2.a.) Old lawyer I used to work for tries to say I "didn't do that much," and this was the one who sent me on suicide missions looking for any excuse to fire me, except I kept doing well enough that I justified my existence. All the shit I wrote is still on my personal laptop computer, which I wrote it on.... He just wants to take credit for it, like he always did. Old bastard is as retired as he can be and he still isn't giving me credit willingly. Worst off, all those documents I have are still attorney client privileged, so showing them is problematic. FUCK.

2.b) Old college administrator boss I used to work for before that also kinda downplays stuff. I did all the reporting for the college's financial aide office as my work study job for freaking minimum wage (because they didn't feel like paying a statistician $50K a year to do it). Technically, there were 3000 students at any given time over 4 years and the seniors would matriculate and graduate while new ones came in. Point being let's say it cost $25,000 average to go there a year and thus that was the package amount.

$25,000 a tuition x 3000 students is $75,000,000 I kept track of.... per year for four years. All that money doesn't flow unless you complete a lot of accounting for it. I look so damn young that nobody believes that I did it, but again, I still have all the reports and information for all of it. And, again, I can't release it.... Confidential.

So all those jerks who love numbers now for job hunting purposes, can't believe I did that much shit when I look freaking 16 but I'm closer to 30. Fuuuck.

In summation: I did a whole crapload of stuff, but due to various factors, I have a hard time backing shit up with documents. Rather, I have the documents to back it up but I can't legally SHOW them. Amazing.

« Last Edit: February 19, 2015, 11:30:45 pm by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #88741 on: February 19, 2015, 11:32:55 pm »

Your problem is that you're not a machiavellian sociopath. To be a successful lawyer you need to be machiavellian and a sociopath, (but not have all three dark triad personality traits as that would make you more suited to business or politics)
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #88742 on: February 19, 2015, 11:34:21 pm »

Your problem is that you're not a machiavellian sociopath. To be a successful lawyer you need to be machiavellian and a sociopath, (but not have all three dark triad personality traits as that would make you more suited to business or politics)
No. And not helping at all. :-\
You don't bend down to weaker positions just because those in authority have seemingly strong IQ...
And relatively poor EQ.

I've a cousin. She's a lawyer. She's a very successful lawyer, and possesses none of the above indicated.
She's a very nice lawyer too.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #88743 on: February 19, 2015, 11:37:54 pm »

You could try to prove you can't legally prove it to them.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88744 on: February 19, 2015, 11:42:33 pm »

Thanks Tiriun.

MetalSlime.

I don't know what to say that shouldn't be obvious. Everybody's heard of attorney client privilege. Similar deal with the FAFSA aid tracking shit. If I were an identify thief, then basically that'd be a treasure trove with all the shit people are forced to reveal on there, but I'm not.  I had to crunch all those numbers and indicators people put on their FAFSA and make sure all the regulations were upheld and the proper stuff was done, while tracking data trends for the school. In other words, I did an internal audit of all that information provided on the form for all the people who provided it to make sure they got what they should have, and then compared all of it to see how much we were spending on what and who and why across all these different categories.

I can talk about it generally, but.... No way can I expose that. Same deal, confidential.

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #88745 on: February 19, 2015, 11:46:20 pm »

Probably talk about it with a fellow lawyer (y'know, the non-egoistic ones), maybe? :-\
I'm uncertain in many, many parts here--though I do know that there's always a good solution to these things despite present and perceived circumstances.

Its very saddening to see the environment be plagued with such...immature attitudes though.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #88746 on: February 19, 2015, 11:49:47 pm »

Related documents, perhaps? Emails and the like without privileged info in them? Just something to lead credence to the "I did big, important things that I absolutely can't tell you about" claim. There has to be some way to go about it, it's not like other people who handle privileged and classified info don't have job searches.

Obviously there's no way to get over the general info hump, but that doesn't necessarily mean that the general info can't be backed by evidence. As long as you can sell the "so that's what I did, but this is the only legal way to show it" element it could work.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88747 on: February 20, 2015, 12:06:37 am »

Yeah probably.

I could show like.... maybe a list of some of the file names, for some of it, but only if that doesn't have client names or something in it. Meh.

The legal files crap have names like. JohnDoe Motion to do something, [insert date here] Draft 1.docx So not that but yeah.

Some of the other stuff was like: Incoming freshman class 20052006 aggregate data compilation, or Sophomore retention and aid comparison analysis, or multicltural and race based award aid and academic performance review, or 2006Spring Regulation compliance review random samplings audit. So maybe those file names might be ok. I dunno.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2015, 12:11:31 am by Truean »

Please don't quote me.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #88748 on: February 20, 2015, 12:08:46 am »

I'm not sure how it all works
But could you possibly get the clients permission to show it in court?
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #88749 on: February 20, 2015, 12:11:38 am »

Have you heard anything about Truean's clients? From the sound of it, most of them would revel in having some kind of power over her. Is a shitty situation. Any non-supervisory coworkers? I mean, I'm sure you've run through everything already, but still. Feels like I oughtta try and do something, you deserve some help dammit.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88750 on: February 20, 2015, 12:15:50 am »

Yeah I appreciate the thought, but crim clients are horrid, of the business ones, several are being indicted for not listening to me by the IRS, or somebody, and in general that just wouldn't fly. They were of the mistaken impression that because they were the boss of something, they could ignore me went I said to pay taxes, and they were incorrect. The rest of them, don't like having to admit they had to call for outside help and certainly don't wanna give credit to said outside help when they could steal it for themselves. This despite the fact that they caused the problem that brought me in, in the first place :D.

I think I might be able to get some other former co workers, but then several of them were leaching off me too. Think of the group projects you did in school. Yeah, I was the one doing the work. I trained my replacements man, and I made the mistake of doing a good job of it.... Shit.

Basically I am not gonna get credit for a lot of crap I have done, and that blows.

Please don't quote me.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #88751 on: February 20, 2015, 12:37:25 am »

Have you heard anything about Truean's clients? From the sound of it, most of them would revel in having some kind of power over her. Is a shitty situation. Any non-supervisory coworkers? I mean, I'm sure you've run through everything already, but still. Feels like I oughtta try and do something, you deserve some help dammit.

I got more of the impression that they were incoherent and deranged due to being junkies
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #88752 on: February 20, 2015, 05:59:08 am »

Woo, cat-induced nipple scars high-five!
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Reverie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88753 on: February 20, 2015, 06:41:59 am »

Woo, cat-induced nipple scars high-five!

* Reverie cringes.

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88754 on: February 20, 2015, 07:09:53 am »

I can not feel my legs. Jack Frost was not nipping at my nose, he was biting my fucking face off, creeper. Really wish my long-johns weren't in the wash.
Pages: 1 ... 5915 5916 [5917] 5918 5919 ... 8167