Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5901 5902 [5903] 5904 5905 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9438242 times)

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #88530 on: February 17, 2015, 05:15:04 pm »

I am beyond amazed at how utterly astounded people are when I ask not to be quoted. I'm not saying this person above is doing it, but I get looked at like I'm completely insane or nuts:

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/03/03/man-loses-80000-legal-settlement-after-daughter-facebook-post-violates/

What I am saying and asking should be the norm, and not viewed as some nutty thing. I guarantee you that girl had no idea that stupid post could cost her family 6 figures (believe me there were legal fees on top of that I bet).  This is real and not crazy conspiracy shit. They will pay people to look through as much crap as they can if motivated and I know people who make a living looking for dirt like this....

It really makes me sad that people do not understand basic internet posting content security to the point where I'm looked at as odd for asking not to be quoted.

You have no idea the HUGE number of people who have gotten pissed at me when the prosecution or other side use a facebook post THEY made against them. I've had them sit there and scream in disbelief and outrage that they're going to sue for invasion of privacy. I then tell them that it isn't invasion of privacy becau... and they cut me off forcibly insisting that it is..... I was about to explain why it isn't and they just look at me like I have a fucking alien growing out of my forehead.

What people think/want means absolutely jack shit. The prosecution absolutely does accept it when your "friends" turn in a post you made on facebook. I've seen it waaaay too many times. It is real and people's shock and demanding insistence does not a legal argument make, and I'm not the reason it's like this so them getting pissed at me just lowers my opinion of them further.....

Please be mindful of what you post. It is possible to be annon online but you probably don't know enough to do it right where they'd have any difficulty breaking it. Why make it easy for them. See also "selfies" I.E self serve government / corporate "survey lance...."

http://i.cdn.turner.com/dr/teg/tsg/release/sites/default/files/assets/poole-testimony.pdf

Rule 1 and Rule 2 apply, and once again I'm trying to help you, but guess what? You're not even anon like you think you are. The Government can call Moot and did in that situation to figure out exactly who made a post and why to charge them with things. :D That wasn't even for naughty pics or anything....

What I am saying about NOT MAKING THINGS PUBLIC should be the norm, but that's not what big brother wants. You see, big brother got lazy and decided to have you do his work for him by making it seem "normal" to spill every single bean so he doesn't have to bother to look: i.e. all your posting.

I will never quote people's text anymore. I will do what I did at the top of this post and quote a link to the text where the person can erase if needed.

We're screwed unless the internet relearns how to post and starts doing it the right way.... We're screwed.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2015, 05:16:43 pm by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #88531 on: February 17, 2015, 05:24:46 pm »

@Truean: One of my former co-workers lost his job because, in the middle of his shift, police came in, drug tested him, and arrested him when he failed (he was on parole, or whatever it's called), taking him out of the building in handcuffs, in front of all the customers.
In his work uniform.

The reason they knew to do it?
The moron posted on his facebook about all the drugs he hit the night before, thinking the cops didn't check that.

So yeah, it's an extremely real thing, even if you aren't using your real name on anything.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #88532 on: February 17, 2015, 05:31:34 pm »

I don't really understand the Western Civilization obsession with dualism. I'm actually not talking about gender--it's the Light and Dark, Hope and Despair, etc. and blah blah blah. I get that it makes for a lot of really good drama, but at this point the drama needs to be played up a bit more for that to work... yikes.

Oh well :<
I mostly get irritated at the mind-body dualism. Never mind that it makes psychiatric illnesses that much harder to cope with, it just plain blocks a lot of productive ideas.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #88533 on: February 17, 2015, 05:33:44 pm »

Yes! Monists! Atheists! Girls!Drink!

The crossed out words are references, right? No need to snap.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #88534 on: February 17, 2015, 05:38:01 pm »

To be fair though, most atheists are dualists and just reject the Abrahamitic God.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
« Reply #88535 on: February 17, 2015, 05:39:46 pm »

* Kevak doesn't use Facebook or similar programs. The closest thing he uses to such is this forum.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #88536 on: February 17, 2015, 05:40:20 pm »

Hm, fair enough. Hadn't thought of it like that.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #88537 on: February 17, 2015, 05:41:54 pm »

@Truean: Those people were still publicly talking about breaking the law though. If you don't admit to illegal activities I don't see what the issue is.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #88538 on: February 17, 2015, 05:46:54 pm »

There's always the risk of some employer or other business contact doing background research and finding an opinion they don't like that she expressed. Or something posted that she doesn't see how it might be used against her that others might. Basically, especially in her line of work, it pays to be careful.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #88539 on: February 17, 2015, 06:05:32 pm »

No Graknorke. In a perfect world yes, but certainly not in this one, trust me. I've seen it too much.

Three words for you "At will employment."

You can be fired in the US for any reason or no reason at all unless you are of the lucky few to have a union job. It's perfectly legal. It can be a bad reason, as long as it isn't prohibited expressly by law: race etc. "Etc" is a lot less than you think.

If you are GLBT there is NO legal protection for you in most of the US. I am trans....
Your boss can fire you for not liking the same sport's team he does.
He can fire you for being conservative if he is liberal or vice versa.
You can be fired because though your clothes aren't inappropreiate your boss doesn't like them.
Is your boss a global warming denier? He can fire you if you aren't.
Express any opinion he doesn't like.... Screwed. Fired.

You basically have little if any legal protection.

You probably believe you are perfectly safe doing whatever you feel like online or in your personal life. Guess what. You are being watched. If you innocently piss off the wrong person.... You're fucked. People look at me like I'm nuts. Nope. You think you are "free." No. Don't believe me? What are you gonna do if somebody screws with you over an opinion you posted somewhere that they don't like:

Boss fires you
Teacher grades you harshly
Someone refuses to hire you.
Police pay extra attention to you and wait for you to eventually make some ticketworthy offense (minor, but it cost $200)
Proseutor is pissed and won't deal with you.
Landlord decides not to renew your lease and you have to move.
Basically anybody decides they don't like something you said and screws you.

Sue? Good luck with that. Hope you can afford the massive bills attached to that and realize you probably won't win. It can only hurt you. There is NO benefit to permanently reording this stuff.

Then of course why is it viewed as so damn odd? All I am asking is for people to NOT do a thing. It is an immeasurably simple request and yet.... Frankly if you disagree with me, then big brother loves you.

So, I don't mean to come off harsh, but it really is amazing to me that I am on the outside here. Having lived it, this just seems like it should be soooo obvious and it absolutely isn't to people. Rather they just post away snd this is becoming normal, but then they get shocked when it is used against them.....It is exhausting reexplaining it after a while.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2015, 06:11:02 pm by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
« Reply #88540 on: February 17, 2015, 06:11:16 pm »

I was about to quote Truean's post from before in effort to show my support to some of the posted text, then realized my mistake just in time, hehe. :-X

But yeah, what has been said - I don't understand how some people can be incredibly ignorant when posting things online to the point of compromising theselves. While I am not strictly against quoting because I think quotes or no whoever will want to screwl you will do it even without them (unless I'm misunderstanding here what Truean wants to say), I can understand that notion. Why some people think FaceBook is their "private" little place on the internets I will never understand. Especially if such person has 1200 friends. Eff effs sake. :P

Yes! Monists! Atheists! Girls!Drink!
... Arse! Pfuck! ?
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88541 on: February 17, 2015, 06:13:44 pm »

« Last Edit: July 21, 2017, 07:03:53 pm by Vector »
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #88542 on: February 17, 2015, 06:15:44 pm »

I totally respect what you're saying Truean, and you clearly know more about it than me!  Particularly the legal side.  It truly is ridiculous what some people post, particularly on Facebook, and expect it to be at all private.

I suppose I was missing the connection between quoting and anonymity.  I'm aware of at least a couple ways a motivated party could find my real life identity, after all.  I assume anything I post on bay12 can and will be used against me, and also that it's never going away. 

I wasn't aware that Toady blocked the Wayback archive, so that's something at least, but Google is still keeping caches.  For instance, I just discovered we were in a forum game together years back :o  That cache last updated on Dec 14, though, so I suppose cleared posts may disappear after a month...  From Google, that is.

To be honest I still post a lot of embarrassing things.  I get drunk and opinionated a hell of a lot more readily at home than "in public".  But I keep in mind that I essentially *am* in public, just a relaxed and somewhat obscure setting.  But one where I'm still being recorded.  I don't know if being quoted actually makes the situation more impossible to hide.

Fakedit:  I got so drunk at a corporate function that a few coworkers actually know my orientation.  I'm incredibly fortunate to work somewhere where it isn't an issue.  I'm still kicking myself for that embarrassing moment, but still, the information was out there as soon as I added this flag to my profile.  Probably earlier.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #88543 on: February 17, 2015, 06:18:46 pm »

Why are we now breeding chicken with mammals?

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #88544 on: February 17, 2015, 06:20:20 pm »

These both sound about right.

I'm going to ask you really nicely, remove the quote or I will report you. It's obvious she doesn't want to be quoted and it's extremely rude and irritating to see this shit.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2015, 06:21:55 pm by Mictlantecuhtli »
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian
Pages: 1 ... 5901 5902 [5903] 5904 5905 ... 8167