Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5900 5901 [5902] 5903 5904 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9435755 times)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #88515 on: February 17, 2015, 03:00:39 pm »

« Last Edit: July 21, 2017, 07:05:53 pm by Vector »
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #88516 on: February 17, 2015, 03:05:11 pm »

My fucking parents always get mad at me for not being able to shut down instantly.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #88517 on: February 17, 2015, 03:10:43 pm »

I don't really understand the Western Civilization obsession with dualism. I'm actually not talking about gender--it's the Light and Dark, Hope and Despair, etc. and blah blah blah. I get that it makes for a lot of really good drama, but at this point the drama needs to be played up a bit more for that to work... yikes.

Oh well :<

Let's all become monists!

It's just a small step from there to atheism.... :P
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88518 on: February 17, 2015, 03:13:32 pm »

« Last Edit: July 21, 2017, 07:05:26 pm by Vector »
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #88519 on: February 17, 2015, 03:21:29 pm »

I don't really understand the Western Civilization obsession with dualism. I'm actually not talking about gender--it's the Light and Dark, Hope and Despair, etc. and blah blah blah. I get that it makes for a lot of really good drama, but at this point the drama needs to be played up a bit more for that to work... yikes.

Oh well :<
I think it's got a lot do do with a cultural drive to have concepts ordered - a line is a very simple way to organize things, and it naturally gives a straightforward bidirectional thing. I dunno, though. I do know I like tagging things more than ranking them, if you see what I mean, letting relationships arise naturally out of interactions instead of trying to anticipate how things are supposed to be. Then again, I'm kind of fixated on the cultural obsession with control right now, so I might just be filtering everything through that.

NINJA'D: I might be more on track with what you're getting at than I thought!
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #88520 on: February 17, 2015, 03:25:58 pm »

You dork [1]. I mean that I feel like our debating style isn't equipped to discuss anything more nuanced, and the idea that you "win" a debate by convincing someone else of your position--instead of evolving positions between the two of you, and being rewarded for being eloquent and insightful in this learning interaction--is totally asinine.

[1] That's right. I called ya a whale cock, punk.
I think I get what you mean. Like how, when doing research for a debate, you're supposed to ignore the stuff that goes against your position because it's supposed to be up to your opponent to bring that stuff up. Or the fact that the other person in a debate is considered your opponent.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88521 on: February 17, 2015, 03:54:24 pm »

You dork [1]. I mean that I feel like our debating style isn't equipped to discuss anything more nuanced, and the idea that you "win" a debate by convincing someone else of your position--instead of evolving positions between the two of you, and being rewarded for being eloquent and insightful in this learning interaction--is totally asinine.

Hey, if you get to call me a whale cock, can I call you a gorilla cock?
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #88522 on: February 17, 2015, 04:12:27 pm »

It's because the majority of people are stupid and can't understand anything more nuanced.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #88523 on: February 17, 2015, 04:12:33 pm »

That's right. I called ya a whale cock, punk.
Chill, Dude.

*smirk*
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #88524 on: February 17, 2015, 04:17:31 pm »

I don't understand what the problem is. In an argument the point is to convince the other person that you're right. That's just what an argument is.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #88525 on: February 17, 2015, 04:21:19 pm »

Wrong. The point of an argument is:

1. Educate each-other. If one wasn't up to scratch, then awesome, argument over.
2. Identify the point of contention (The crux of the matter.). If there isn't one, then awesome, argument over.
3. Realize that you have that single common point of contention, shake hands over the irrevocable truths deep within your respective hearts, leave, frustrated.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #88526 on: February 17, 2015, 04:24:07 pm »

Or if it's a public argument, the point is to convince the audience of your preconception (and possibly discredit your opponent).

But it ought to be what Tack said.  An argument ought to take two sets of ideas and refine them against each other until both sides are closer to the truth.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88527 on: February 17, 2015, 04:31:11 pm »

Hrm. I think people argue with the intent of proving the other wrong, but end up refining their beliefs. In this case, I don't think intent matters much, but the result.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #88528 on: February 17, 2015, 04:39:38 pm »

There's lots of reasons for communicating in lots of modes, and it's mostly a matter of figuring out what you want out of it, what you think the other people involved want out of it, and if it's worth the trouble of giving that to them, or at least that's what I think. That's all just a philosophical dictum of mine, and I can't back it up.

I'm not saying you're necessarily and universally wrong, I'm just a bit bothered by the idea that a medium of expression should have one, and only one, objective - or, perhaps, more bothered by the idea that it ought to be codified into a Right and Wrong way to do things.

I'm just gonna bask in the delicious irony of arguing over what the point of an argument is for a moment, though.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #88529 on: February 17, 2015, 05:14:47 pm »

So last night i nearly had a nervous breakdown, and today i'm feeling physical symptoms of fairly severe stress (nervous bowels, pressing sensation in chest (no my heart is fine), restlessness...). Life's not nice at all right now, although at least the doctor says that i probably don't have a depression, given how my sadness and anxiety have a fairly definite cause. :I
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page
Quote from: Girlinhat
It may be worthwhile to have the babies fall into ring of fortifications or windows, to prevent anyone from catching and saving them.
[01:27] <Octomobile> MMM THATS GOOD FIST BUTTER
Pages: 1 ... 5900 5901 [5902] 5903 5904 ... 8167