Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5876 5877 [5878] 5879 5880 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9438413 times)

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #88155 on: February 10, 2015, 10:58:20 pm »

Yeah, it's one of those things like not thinking about pink elephants. You can't succeed by trying, only by finding something else to think about.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88156 on: February 10, 2015, 11:05:17 pm »

« Last Edit: July 21, 2017, 07:07:44 pm by Vector »
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

ggamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Reach Heaven through Violence
    • View Profile
« Reply #88157 on: February 10, 2015, 11:07:46 pm »

I had to spend an hour today educating my therapist about gender identity. I kind of want to cry. My wallet definitely does.

So is every therapist straight retarded, or are you guys just exceptionally lucky

Like is this guy a licensed practitioner or whatever

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88158 on: February 10, 2015, 11:11:57 pm »

« Last Edit: July 21, 2017, 07:07:33 pm by Vector »
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #88159 on: February 10, 2015, 11:15:25 pm »

That sounds like an hour of terrible therapy, and that does indeed suck.

I had to spend an hour today educating my therapist about gender identity. I kind of want to cry. My wallet definitely does.
So is every therapist straight retarded, or are you guys just exceptionally lucky
I think they're exceptionally lucky. Mine's pretty good. That said, I've never brought up gender identity, etc.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2015, 11:17:33 pm by Orange Wizard »
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #88160 on: February 10, 2015, 11:25:35 pm »

You can choose to not think about someone
[citation needed]
You can try with varying degrees of success, but sometimes your mind wanders, and all of a sudden it's back to obsessing over them.
Yeah, it's one of those things like not thinking about pink elephants. You can't succeed by trying, only by finding something else to think about.

I recommend becoming obsessed with a videogame or television show. Play Skyrim for 400 hours, or maybe watch Taxi Driver 100 times and shoot President Regan's tombstone.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #88161 on: February 10, 2015, 11:28:32 pm »

Best way to get back at someone is to outdo them. Just be successful. Then anything they say to insult you is just plain wrong.
No the proper way to get back at some one isn't to out do them or insult then or even be mean to them at first. No
The proper way is to get close, be there for them, become like a sibling to them, and then when they need you the most, don't be there for them...
Just kidding though, please don't do that to someone, just thought it would fit into the conversation. Was something a friend showed me
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #88162 on: February 10, 2015, 11:31:30 pm »

I recommend becoming obsessed with a videogame or television show. Play Skyrim for 400 hours, or maybe watch Taxi Driver 100 times and shoot President Regan's tombstone.
This also may or may not work. Would temporarily distract you, yes, but not completely...what's a term...dull the pain? Fill the void? Cure the crush. Crush the crush.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #88163 on: February 11, 2015, 12:12:52 am »

This also may or may not work. Would temporarily distract you, yes, but not completely...what's a term...dull the pain? Fill the void? Cure the crush. Crush the crush.
Yeah, but you don't "cure" crushes, you outlast them. Anything that buys you time is a step in the right direction. Buy enough time, and your brain wanders off to go look at something else.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88164 on: February 11, 2015, 12:31:25 am »

Best way to get back at someone is to outdo them. Just be successful. Then anything they say to insult you is just plain wrong.

Eh, or just do the best you can according to your own judgement, and disregard the assholes. If the insulting stuff strikes a chord, I think it's fine to consider what makes it upsetting to you, but it's probably a bad idea to let it supersede your own judgement, or trying to engage and disprove the false image someone else creates when they're just plain wrong. That way lies stupid arguments where someone tries to tell you they know you better than you know yourself.

On that note...

...we literally started the conversation off with "I don't want to talk to you about this stuff because the psychological establishment has had its fingers really deep in sex and gender and has a long tradition of invalidating LGBT experiences."

And then an hour of gently trying to convince me to see myself as a woman ensued.

Vector, I'll echo that this sounds like shitty therapy. Sorry it happened. I understand he's been a better therapist in the past, so I hope it gets better, or at least doesn't happen again. Good luck.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #88165 on: February 11, 2015, 12:34:16 am »

Yeah, but you don't "cure" crushes, you outlast them. Anything that buys you time is a step in the right direction. Buy enough time, and your brain wanders off to go look at something else.
I'd advocate buying time by doing something more productive than a billion hours of Skyrim.

Ah, who am I kidding. I sank at least a billion hours into that game.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #88166 on: February 11, 2015, 12:36:13 am »

Well, I'm learning fencing.

Need a sharper rapier though.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #88167 on: February 11, 2015, 12:36:44 am »

I'd advocate buying time by doing something more productive than a billion hours of Skyrim.

What about Fallout: New Vegas then?
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #88168 on: February 11, 2015, 12:59:43 am »

Well, I'm learning fencing.

Need a sharper rapier though.
"My name is Inigo Objective Montoya, you made me have a crush on you years ago, prepare to die."
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88169 on: February 11, 2015, 01:20:57 am »

I don't think I have time to update my RTD today. :(
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.
Pages: 1 ... 5876 5877 [5878] 5879 5880 ... 8167