Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5853 5854 [5855] 5856 5857 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9429326 times)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #87810 on: February 03, 2015, 10:06:25 am »

I think it's pretty irresponsible to link someone with suicidal ideation to a site that gives ellaborate info on how to commit suicide.
Most of the time suicidal ideation is a way of coping* - many people sometimes think about suicide. And getting those people to think about it in abstract ways as opposed to concrete ones certainly is beneficial, as is showing them what might go wrong with their method of choice.

*There's even a Nietzsche quote about that. Then again, there are Nietzsche quotes about most things.
This is bang-on how it was for me when I was dealing with... stuff. I've always had a streak of dark humor in me, and it turned out that idly daydreaming about amusing ways to kill myself ended up cheering me up. Any port in a storm, and all that. If it gets you off of whatever it is that's depressing and miserable at the moment, there's something to be said for it. Just wait it out, Kal. Even if things don't get better, you can.

Not that apathy and loss of interest in social interaction is good, but it's a sight better than death. As long as you're still alive you can keep trying to climb out of that pit.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #87811 on: February 03, 2015, 10:24:16 am »

There is no situation imaginable where the world is better off with you gone, and in no way will you be better off gone either.
This is flat fucking wrong, as various euthanasia and life imprisonment/execution cases should make incredibly bloody clear.

Particularly with the latter, I continue to maintain that with incredibly rare exception anyone that holds that as true has never actually felt substantial and sustained pain before, among other things. There are lives not worth living, and saying otherwise is doing an incredible freaking disservice to the people that live them, for however long they do.

... that said, for someone still in high school and not inflicted with something chronic, incurable, and incredibly crippling, definitely wait another decade or so before doing anything permanent (and yeah, I'm entirely aware how long that sounds to someone in the situation given). With the hormone muckery and personal/social instability that's going to be a fairly prominent feature of the next several years, you're not going to be in a good position to really decide whether it's something you genuinely want to do, as opposed to simply your brain and environment screwing itself. So... give it some more time. Things'll change, and then the situation can be reevaluated.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #87812 on: February 03, 2015, 10:44:30 am »

There is no situation imaginable where the world is better off with you gone, and in no way will you be better off gone either.
This is flat fucking wrong, as various euthanasia and life imprisonment/execution cases should make incredibly bloody clear.

I...think you could poke and question instead of downright stepping on it--its partly noted that tim's post was in-context of Kal's situation.
.__.

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87813 on: February 03, 2015, 10:58:11 am »

Particularly with the latter, I continue to maintain that with incredibly rare exception anyone that holds that as true has never actually felt substantial and sustained pain before, among other things. There are lives not worth living, and saying otherwise is doing an incredible freaking disservice to the people that live them, for however long they do.

... that said, for someone still in high school and not inflicted with something chronic, incurable, and incredibly crippling, definitely wait another decade or so before doing anything permanent (and yeah, I'm entirely aware how long that sounds to someone in the situation given). With the hormone muckery and personal/social instability that's going to be a fairly prominent feature of the next several years, you're not going to be in a good position to really decide whether it's something you genuinely want to do, as opposed to simply your brain and environment screwing itself. So... give it some more time. Things'll change, and then the situation can be reevaluated.
As Tiruin touched on, I wasn't really considering Euthanasia circumstances at all, since I was addressing a more specific situation. I've never personally been affected by a situation where Euthanasia would be an option, so I find it really hard to have an opinion on that, but I imagine cases where it could be viewed as benifical are quite rare, but I've not researched it that much.
However, the life imprisonment vs. execution thing well, I've personally never heard an argument for execution that I could agree with. I mean, you hear all the time of people exonerated of their crimes post-execution due to new evidence, I don't think it's something we should be allowed to risk. Not that it's really an issue here in Canada. Although I think the Conservatives would really like to have as full of prisons as the U.S, we're not there yet.
All going back to the original point, which is that I think Kaladin seems like a nice person, and I think the world would really be lacking without them in it, and I think they have potential for future happiness as well, if they're willing to stick it out.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #87814 on: February 03, 2015, 12:41:25 pm »

Pretty much. Everyone deserves a chance to jump off the boat when they've had enough.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #87815 on: February 03, 2015, 01:21:39 pm »

That's what morphine, diamorphine, oxycodone, and valium are for.

And as for executions, the courts couldn't find their arse with both hands, much less correctly identify the perpetrator of a murder. And all modern execution methods seem like the kind of thing that would be invented by Dr.Evil
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #87816 on: February 03, 2015, 01:24:23 pm »

This is really not the time to talk about this.

Kal, I remember having pretty much the exact same breakdown. Tell me one thing: do you have a college lined up?
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #87817 on: February 03, 2015, 01:37:01 pm »

My mood is utter shit today. Regularly repeating a mantra of "I should just kill myself" over and over and over in my head. Really not happy at the moment.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87818 on: February 03, 2015, 01:41:48 pm »

Spehss_, please see my previous comment. It applies to you too! You seem like a pretty stand up sort, and the world is better with you in it than without! There is always awesome in the future!

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #87819 on: February 03, 2015, 01:48:35 pm »

I have had similar thoughts recently, spehss_. Whenever I think about romantic relationships and my loneliness, lack of employment... It is not pleasant.

And then philosophy class gave me an existential disappointment. I came hoping for an excuse to think of myself as something other than a dumb monkey with no hope of a greater meaning or continued existence. I should stop being an optimist about these things. Optimism takes effort. I'm amazed tiruin doesn't have to chain herself to the chair to avoid flopping on the floor. She'll probably bop me for saying that, though.

Also too tired to drive in a straight line. I should probably stay off the road, but if I dont drive home, who will feed the horses? And then I have to drive back, because geology class.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #87820 on: February 03, 2015, 02:25:49 pm »

and i'm reminded why i'm too much of a wimp to look at this thread
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

ggamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Reach Heaven through Violence
    • View Profile
« Reply #87821 on: February 03, 2015, 03:33:14 pm »

My mood is utter shit today. Regularly repeating a mantra of "I should just kill myself" over and over and over in my head. Really not happy at the moment.

Are you sure those aren't the cultists? Those fuckers in the Esoteric Order of whatever the fuck keep chanting the same mantra and I have to tell them to shut the hell up every five minutes.

On a serious note, don't. I appreciate you on these forums, and i'd rather you not leave.

Baneling

• Bay Watcher
  • Acid Balloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #87822 on: February 03, 2015, 03:36:55 pm »

Haven't heard from my counsellor about my referral to a diagnostic psychiatrist(i think?) to be interviewed to see what flavour of autism I have, and considering how long it took to even get to the stage of filling out the forms to be referred...

Monty Oum died two days ago, and I really liked RWBY.

I dropped my 3DS in the toilet last night and there's an apparently quite high chance that, woops, there goes ~300€ of games and console, just because my hands are butter sometimes.

My dad started chanting at me "set the table, set the table, set the table" when I took thirty seconds too long for his liking.

I had to spend two hours standing around in the cold today.

I have had headaches all day.

I haven't been able to shower in more than a week because the shower is broken.

All the money I got for christmas and my birthday and my allowance yesterday was either spent on required purchases (graphics card broke) or is tied up being saved for to-be-required purchases. Since I'm only sixteen and thus effectively unemployable, aforementioned allowance is likely to be my only income until an undefined-though-likely-small amount halfway through May and, after that, Christmas again.

I have...three projects due for school, I barely know what to do for two and I've been procrastinating the third.

The first-world teenager problems are real, but jeeze, it'd be nice if everything didn't come all at once. :/
I tend to be a stupid person. Expect me to say/do stupid things and we'll probably get along better!

Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum

« Reply #87823 on: February 03, 2015, 03:51:19 pm »

Kal, I remember having pretty much the exact same breakdown. Tell me one thing: do you have a college lined up?
No, my parents (And extended family, and girlfriend...) expect me to go on a mission for my (their?) religion.

And I slept on it... And I'm really not feeling any better. :(
I couldn't even be bothered to go to school for the first day of the new semester.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #87824 on: February 03, 2015, 03:55:02 pm »

No, my parents (And extended family, and girlfriend...) expect me to go on a mission for my (their?) religion.

And I slept on it... And I'm really not feeling any better. :(
I couldn't even be bothered to go to school for the first day of the new semester.
What religion is this, if I may ask? Where would they expect you to go, exactly?
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?
Pages: 1 ... 5853 5854 [5855] 5856 5857 ... 8167